Finally moved to Texas

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Antares
Posts in topic: 1

Finally moved to Texas

Post by Antares »

I have a Missouri License to carry and moved to El Lago, Tx which might be part of Seabrook or Lake City I haven't been able to figure out this city within a city system you have down here. My house hasn't sold yet in MO so I still carry that CCW. I know that I will have to take the TX CHL class here but need to get a name of an instructor in the area and a cost for this endeavor both the training cost and the sheriffs. MO used to make you qualify in both pistol and revolver but hear they let you choose your weapon so to speak now. Thanks for the info.
God Bless our Military and the United States

JALLEN

Re: Finally moved to Texas

Post by JALLEN »

While you are waiting for the house to sell, spend some time soaking up the aura of what it is to be Texan, and count yourself lucky.

Also be aware of the school zone law that prohibits weapons within 1,000' of a school UNLESS you have a CHL issued by that state. IOW your Missouri permit allows carry but avoid schools, or at least being caught near a school in Texas, or any other state than Missouri.

When I moved back here, I had permits from CA, UT and FL, and the main road to/from anywhere ran right past a school. I fretted about this until I got my Texas permit, but thankfully, due to habitually responsible law abiding conduct, don't get pulled over very often.
Last edited by JALLEN on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

El Lago is a city all on its own. It isn't part of Seabrook or Clear Lake City (which is not a city; most of it was annexed by Houston, and the rest by Pasadena).

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

Antares wrote: I know that I will have to take the TX CHL class here but need to get a name of an instructor in the area and a cost
No doubt in my mind, take the class from Charles L. Cotton.

http://www.texashandguntraining.com
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

meddafuxa

Post by meddafuxa »

You can carry a firearm in your car concealed in Texas. So the school law would only apply if you were out of your vehicle, to my understanding anyway.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

meddafuxa wrote:You can carry a firearm in your car concealed in Texas. So the school law would only apply if you were out of your vehicle, to my understanding anyway.
That is completely incorrect. JALLEN was referring to the FEDERAL gun free school zones act. It has an exception for people licensed to carry in the state where they are carrying (reciprocity does not apply). Texas law has nothing to do with this.

That said, JALLEN's point is like a traveling call in the NBA. Having a gun in the car within 1000 feet of a school is technically a crime but in the real world virtually no one is ever charged with this offense. How many traveling calls are made in the NBA?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

meddafuxa

Post by meddafuxa »

Jumping Frog wrote:
meddafuxa wrote:You can carry a firearm in your car concealed in Texas. So the school law would only apply if you were out of your vehicle, to my understanding anyway.
That is completely incorrect. JALLEN was referring to the FEDERAL gun free school zones act. It has an exception for people licensed to carry in the state where they are carrying (reciprocity does not apply). Texas law has nothing to do with this.

That said, JALLEN's point is like a traveling call in the NBA. Having a gun in the car within 1000 feet of a school is technically a crime but in the real world virtually no one is ever charged with this offense. How many traveling calls are made in the NBA?
So you're saying you can only carry near a school, whether in your car or not if you have a permit to that state? You're saying this is a federal law and state law doesn't matter? So if you're in a state that doesn't require permits, how does that work? What if the state has its own laws reguarding schools and firearms? You're saying they are useless because of this federal law?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

meddafuxa wrote: So you're saying you can only carry near a school, whether in your car or not if you have a permit to that state? You're saying this is a federal law and state law doesn't matter? So if you're in a state that doesn't require permits, how does that work? What if the state has its own laws reguarding schools and firearms? You're saying they are useless because of this federal law?
Yes.

Read 18 U.S. Code § 922(q), in particular, (q)(2)(B).

Note that "school zone" is defined in § 921, which is where you find the whole "within 1000 feet of a school" definition under federal law.

Return to “General”