Must instructors teach minimum number per year?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Must instructors teach minimum number per year?

Post by Ruark »

Are certified CHL instructors required to teach a minimum number of students or classes per time period? I'm wondering if you could get instructor certification, then teach only privately, 1 on 1. I think some individuals might be attracted to that kind of instruction.
-Ruark

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Must instructors teach minimum number per year?

Post by Greybeard »

Been doing it just over 20 years and never heard of any minimum out of DPS. And yes, at least with private range, there are many times people have requested private classes, especially couples and families.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Greybeard wrote:Been doing it just over 20 years and never heard of any minimum out of DPS. And yes, at least with private range, there are many times people have requested private classes, especially couples and families.
We live on a small ranch, and I have a classroom space and a little range for shooting, so I've been thinking about it. I'm just not interested in teaching big classes. About a year ago, for example, I talked with a big city TV news announcer, one of those extremely recognizable people, who was looking for a "private way to get a CHL." Since I couldn't accommodate him, I referred him to a friend of mine who possible could.

I'm thinking such instruction would be more expensive than group instruction. For example, if 8 students paid $125 each, that would be $1,000. That's not the case with a single student. Would you charge a lone individual the same as for a group?
-Ruark

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

Ruark wrote:I'm thinking such instruction would be more expensive than group instruction. For example, if 8 students paid $125 each, that would be $1,000. That's not the case with a single student. Would you charge a lone individual the same as for a group?
If you are providing concierge-type service (i.e. very nice classroom with real coffee, not from a Keurig, fresh pastries, ATV ride to the range, etc.) you might be able to charge a premium for your small-class setup.

I prefer small classes simply because they're more personal and, to me, more fun to do. And since I'm not relying upon the classes for a large portion of my income, I want to keep the charges about what someone would pay at one of the local ranges for a big, unpersonalized, class.

Of course, if I ran into more expenses doing the one or two person classes, those expenses would get passed along to the student - something that's split 20 ways (20 students) would be a lot more expensive if it's split between just one or two students, though.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I have the equipment for portable powerpoint and screen with projector. I use to do private classes. If in someone's home I just connect laptop to television if it is available. Depending on location and number, I charge accordingly. If enough folks, I do not charge the person who gathered up the group. I do make sure it is worth my time and seem to have plenty of takers.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

So if I may ask, how much have you charged for, say, a private, 1-on-1 CHL class?
-Ruark

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

If they already know what they are doing with a handgun, I typically do LTC classes for individuals or for couples on a weekday or weekday evening for $300, including my time and private indoor range time. More if required on a weekend or if more time needed on learning how to run their gun.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General”