Instructor Requirements

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor Requirements

Post by LSUTiger »

Are there any legal requirements to have any particular certification if you just want to give basic handgun classes, not for LTC certification or any particular certification but simply for knowledge and practical purposes?

I just want to pass on basic skills and knowledge to those new to handguns. For example, practical instruction/shooting on an individual basis sufficient enough to prepare a student to pass the LTC qualification requirements as required by an official LTC course given by others.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Instructor Requirements

Post by Keith B »

LSUTiger wrote:Are there any legal requirements to have any particular certification if you just want to give basic handgun classes, not for LTC certification or any particular certification but simply for knowledge and practical purposes?

I just want to pass on basic skills and knowledge to those new to handguns. For example, practical instruction/shooting on an individual basis sufficient enough to prepare a student to pass the LTC qualification requirements as required by an official LTC course given by others.
Legally you can teach handgun and safety skills without any certification. HOWEVER, it is probably more desirable for students to receive instruction from someone who has some type of formal training as an instructor. I would recommend you look into getting an NRA Pistol Instructor certification. You might also be able to just do the NRA Range Safety Officer course, which is now online, and that would at least be a start with certification. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General”