Don't be Intimidated by the Tacti-tards (The basics are still the same)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSUTiger »

I was talking to a friend who is wanting to get his LTC but is so hung up on "training" and how much training is needed blah blah blah.... Just get the LTC already. You don't have to achieve "operator" status to get LTC. Combine basic hand gun skills with situational awareness and testicular fortitude and start carrying already. The rest will come in time. It's mostly common sense.

Making up a problems that don't exist in order to create a solutions that aren't needed.

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

dawning

Re: Don't be Intimidated by the Tacti-tards (The basics are still the same)

Post by dawning »

Thanks for posting this. :tiphat:

TangoX-ray
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TangoX-ray »

1. Do smart things
2. Don't do dumb things
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

My flying instructor, whose flying license was signed by Orville Wright, would frequently admonish me "don't do nothing stupid!" Or was it "don't do nothing, stupid!"

It was hard to know which.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

A couple of my friends will be getting that link :mrgreen:

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

JALLEN wrote:My flying instructor, whose flying license was signed by Orville Wright,
Really? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but amazing he still had a medical.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I'd certainly recommend everyone get personal training on the basics. Can really make a difference. It improved my shooting a good bit and I wasn't exactly horrible. Even just an hours worth. If you teach yourself you don't know what bad habits you are forming. Having someone able to watch you and correct those, I think is well worth the money.
NRA Benefactor Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cb1000rider wrote:
JALLEN wrote:My flying instructor, whose flying license was signed by Orville Wright,
Really? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but amazing he still had a medical.
It was a long time ago, Bill was probably in his 70's then, and instructors don't need a medical to instruct. They just can't fly on their own.

He was licensed in ~1930, Army Air Corp during WWII, and was a retired insurance salesman. He charged $10 a lesson, whether you rode around all afternoon on a cross country, or he met you at the airport and told you to do ten touch and goes solo. He didn't need the money. He just loved flying around in airplanes, especially when somebody else was paying for the gas.

Rules for successful flying:

1. Never land before you get to the airport.
2. Go potty every chance you get.
3. Never put yourself in a situation where you need more luck to get out of it than you can reasonably count on.

I logged about 100,000 minutes before I had to give it up. In those ~100,000 minutes, there were only 8-10 of them where I thought I was going to die, which I consider pretty good.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jago668 wrote:I'd certainly recommend everyone get personal training on the basics. Can really make a difference. It improved my shooting a good bit and I wasn't exactly horrible. Even just an hours worth. If you teach yourself you don't know what bad habits you are forming. Having someone able to watch you and correct those, I think is well worth the money.
Absolutely! There are a number of very good instructors around, giving weekend schools in basic techniques. If you can avoid the pure Rambo types, it can be very worthwhile.

Refreshers aren't a waste of time or money either.

TangoX-ray
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TangoX-ray »

JALLEN wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
It was a long time ago, Bill was probably in his 70's then, and instructors don't need a medical to instruct. They just can't fly on their own.

He was licensed in ~1930, Army Air Corp during WWII, and was a retired insurance salesman. He charged $10 a lesson, whether you rode around all afternoon on a cross country, or he met you at the airport and told you to do ten touch and goes solo. He didn't need the money. He just loved flying around in airplanes, especially when somebody else was paying for the gas.

Rules for successful flying:

1. Never land before you get to the airport.
2. Go potty every chance you get.
3. Never put yourself in a situation where you need more luck to get out of it than you can reasonably count on.

I logged about 100,000 minutes before I had to give it up. In those ~100,000 minutes, there were only 8-10 of them where I thought I was going to die, which I consider pretty good.
Those are pretty good rules. A few more good ones:

4. The only time you wish you had less fuel is if you are on fire.
5. Better to be on the ground wishing you were flying than the other way around.
6. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but very few old, bold pilots.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Return to “General”