After one year of shooting

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Deitz83
Posts in topic: 3

After one year of shooting

Post by Deitz83 »

I was told that if I got a CHL that I needed to practice. Over the past year I went to the range twice a month. I would go over my targets with my neighbor a retired officer and firearms instructor. I was afraid to go shooting with him. Just did want to make a fool of myself. I finally found a place that would allow me to draw from the hip. I picked a day we could have the range to ourselves. I didn't want to take a class and have nowhere to practice. It just didn't make sense to me. Over the past year, I listened to everything he told me. Buy ammo when it was sale. You can never have enough! I made power point presentation on gun safety and how to shoot.

I trained protection dogs for a hobby for years, so I know the importance of the Germany way of doing things over and over again, until it is done right. Today, he ran me through some drills and was really pleased with my presentation, grip, hits on target and with double taps. I was upset with myself that I was pulling to the right, but my groups were close. My mind and body lost focus when I tried dropping one magazine and inserting another. My magazine would not drop freely and when I switched guns. I became mentally frustrated. I will work on this at home, with empty magazines.

Every, three months I will get three new exercise to work on, in addition to showing progress or regress on the previous excises. I am lucky, to have a him as my mentor, neighbor and friend. Shoot often, Safely and Enjoy the Experience...

Ed4032

Re: After one year of shooting

Post by Ed4032 »

Well done. It is a really fun sport if done safely. Keep practicing and try a IDPA type match for fun. It adds another level of stress to it all. Similar to a CHL environment.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

If you are in the DFW area come out to DPC. The matches are low key and fun. I'm there for the RWG and PPM matches. I'm easy to find because I'm usually the guy at the desk collecting the money and signing folks in.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Topic author
Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Thanks for the invite. I will come out and watch a match.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Deitz83 wrote:Thanks for the invite. I will come out and watch a match.
This Sat there is a match. I plan to be there. Welcome to DPC no entry fee if you are a spectator. Shooting is fun though
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Go with Beruity and I to the 3rd Sat match at Terrell and shoot it you will love it, no pressure at all, my days of willing them are long gone I just love to shoot and visit. Where are you located?
Stay Safe

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AverageJoe wrote:
Beiruty wrote:
Deitz83 wrote:Thanks for the invite. I will come out and watch a match.
This Sat there is a match. I plan to be there. Welcome to DPC no entry fee if you are a spectator. Shooting is fun though
What is DPC?
http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Lena wrote:Go with Beruity and I to the 3rd Sat match at Terrell and shoot it you will love it, no pressure at all, my days of willing them are long gone I just love to shoot and visit. Where are you located?
:iagree: :tiphat:
Beiruty,

Topic author
Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Guys what time is match Saturday is see 8 am and 11 am on the DPC calendar? Also, what time is the Terrell match and location? I would like to watch and learn.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Deitz83 wrote:Guys what time is match Saturday is see 8 am and 11 am on the DPC calendar? Also, what time is the Terrell match and location? I would like to watch and learn.
Personal Protection Match (PPM) starts at 11:00am - I may be there, got to check with SWMBO
NRA Life Member

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Terrell starts sharp at 0900 3rd Sat
PM me for any info, hope you can make it , you will enjoy it, very friendly easy going, just a fun day. Location is 10 min N of Terrell I would be glad to meet you and let you follow me, it would be MUCH easier ! for you.
Stay Safe

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

Come shoot this weekend at DPC. The RWG match starts at 9:15.

NRA Life Member

Return to “General”