Legally worth it?

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Legally worth it?

Post by bblhd672 »

Took LTC Class yesterday- learned a lot but came away questioning if the legal deck is heavily stacked against anyone who discharges their firearm in a situation where it is justified.
Instructor made many statements about how much the legal bills would be if an LTC holder used their weapon.
The classroom did have the typical "[Pre-paid legal service]" posters and it was recommended that having a service like that would be beneficial. Okay, so after reading more about [Pre-paid legal service] I question whether or not its worthwhile.

Would it be better just to have one or more pro-2nd Amendment defense attorneys contact info on hand to call if needed?

I understand that if you have to use your weapon legally that you can expect to have your life turned upside down until you are cleared, but is it such a potentially dire situation as made out to be my instructor?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WhoWouldGuess
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Legally worth it?

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

Yeah, I think you're catching on that some instructors also sell legal insurance. If you want to hear about a hassle after the weapon leaves the holster, talk with some LEOs.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

That your instructor was openly marketing/selling a pre-paid legal service should answer your question and tell you all you need to know.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

If, as, and when, this happens, you are going to want/need the best defense you can afford. That is unlikely to be a guy from an insurance policy.

I suggest you find out who is the best attorney in your area with as much 2d Amendment experience as possible. Get to know him. Get his card in your wallet, his phone no. in your phone.

Maybe there is a lawyer although not in your town, even some distance, who is really, really good.

What do you look for in a lawyer? Judgment, honed by experience, successful experience even better. Contrary to the impression you might get from reading Internet forum lawyer wannabes, few situations are simple, straight forward, or standard in every respect.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

nyj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nyj »

Skiprr wrote:That your instructor was openly marketing/selling a pre-paid legal service should answer your question and tell you all you need to know.
Exactly.

You may not face any litigation, or you may face trial. You may pay nothing or you pay go bankrupt fighting for your freedom.

You could also get sued for everything your worth for someone who throws them self in front of your car.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I had the exact same impression after leaving my class. Walking out of the class, I thought to myself,"Is it really worth all of this risk?" Well, after thinking it over I remember a phrase I've heard many times... it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. When I thought even more about it, I would rather face a grand jury and have all of my loved ones with me. I'll be totally honest, I am a member of X-prepaid legal group, and it may come back to bite me. But, $14 a month having a contract with a company that says they will be by my side through the process, as well as bail me out, is a small price to me. I won't ever tell anyone else to pay for the service, I just found that it fit my needs for a price that I thought was fair.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

If the situation ever arises, I will use my business attorney's firm. They also have a criminal division.

With that said, I wonder how much of these guys classes are devoted to the advertised and how much is actually toward what is designed to teach. Does the actual class meet the requirements as outlined by law?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

jb2012 wrote:I had the exact same impression after leaving my class. Walking out of the class, I thought to myself,"Is it really worth all of this risk?" Well, after thinking it over I remember a phrase I've heard many times... it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. When I thought even more about it, I would rather face a grand jury and have all of my loved ones with me. I'll be totally honest, I am a member of X-prepaid legal group, and it may come back to bite me. But, $14 a month having a contract with a company that says they will be by my side through the process, as well as bail me out, is a small price to me. I won't ever tell anyone else to pay for the service, I just found that it fit my needs for a price that I thought was fair.
:iagree: I also have my NFA Trust through my legal service and the support has been phenomenal every time I make a change to the trust.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Whether or not you choose to obtain pre-paid legal assistance, or even if you are an LTC holder, or not, if you have to use a gun to protect yourself or someone else, there is a very good chance that a lawsuit, or criminal legal action will follow. My thoughts have been similar in that it will be up to a jury of my peers as to the justification of my actions, but, at least, I will be alive to give my side of the story. The reason, I obatined my LTC was not so that I would be better prepared in a self defense situation, but so that I would be able to legally carry in places a non LTC holdr would not.JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It's a shame some instructors are scaring people to the point of questioning whether they want to protect themselves. That really isn't doing their students justice. My instructor did a great job of discussing alternative dispute resolution and de-escalation to make sure we only used our gun when justified. Then he advised us how best to deal with the situation if we have to use deadly force. He was a retired attorney and had no interest in peddling prepaid legal.

People need to consider if it's better to be dead and not have any legal issues or be alive and possibly have to deal with some. Also, I can't recall a non-police officer that used justifiable lethal force for self-defense being convicted. I'm sure there have been marginal instances that had to be dealt with in the legal system but none that I can recall off the top of my head.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

KLB

Post by KLB »

JALLEN wrote:If, as, and when, this happens, you are going to want/need the best defense you can afford. That is unlikely to be a guy from an insurance policy.
The guy sent by the insurance company is unlikely to be the best lawyer out there. Whether he's the best you can afford depends on your personal situation.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm so sick of hearing that people are told that using a firearm in self-defense is going to cost you a lot of money, get you jailed, get you prosecuted, get you convicted, get you [fill in the blank.] How about people asking for specific examples with verifiable names and locations?

Yes, innocent people can be charged unjustly, but I don't know of any, haven't heard of any, and if they exist, they are a rarity, not the general rule as people are being told.

If you want "self-defense insurance," then get it. If you don't want to subscribe to a pre-paid legal plan, then do so. Just don't do it because someone convinced you the boogeyman is waiting to pounce!

Chas.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

What's the alternative? Not defending yourself/family because you're afraid to get prosecuted?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Some of the prepaid legal plans give out free memberships to FFL's and Instructors so they can push the plans to customers. I've never signed up for any of them so I'm not sure if there are any incentives for signing people up.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Thanks to all for your responses!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General”