Defensive Shotgun class in Conroe

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Defensive Shotgun class in Conroe

Post by Jusme »

Just wanted to give a review about the defensive shotgun class, myself and Jusme Jr. attended Saturday.

Last week, forum Member Scott B. posted a defensive shotgun class being held Saturday, 3/11, at the Blackwood Gun Club in Conroe http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 6#p1140680

I had gotten Jusme Jr. a Maverick 88 pump shotgun with an 18" barrel for Christmas. He had fired it a few times, but other than using a shotgun for hunting, or shooting clays, he had no defensive training with it. I thought it would be a great chance for him to get some formal training, as well as give me a refresher course.
After seeing the post, I spoke with Jusme Jr, and we decided to sign up for the class and take a road trip down to Conroe. I called the instructor Steve Vandermolen, and signed us up for the class. We left early Saturday morning (3:30) and drove down.

The Blackwood Gun Club, is located just west of town, in a very pretty area near the San Jacinto River. It was threatening rain, but Steve said we would have the class anyway. Turns, out that besides some other instructors (one being Scott B) who were taking the class, Jusme Jr. and myself were the only others who showed up due to the threatening weather. There were 5 of us all together, and after a short classroom period where Steve went over safety rules, and the basic outline of the course, we went to the shotgun range.

We started out working on patterning our shotguns, using bird shot, buckshot, and slugs, from various ranges out to 50 yards. We then moved to loading drills, round selection, shooting from behind cover, engaging multiple targets, and shooting while moving.

The class was very informative, and Steve was great at communicating any issues he observed with the students, and had very helpful suggestions for making corrections. The only drawback was the weather, we experienced a slow steady drizzle the whole time, but the temperature was in the 70s, so other than being damp, it wasn't too uncomfortable.

Jusme Jr. and I really enjoyed the training. It helped him to understand how effective a shotgun can be as a defensive tool, and showed me what I need to work on in my own practice drills.

I highly recommend this course for anyone who is using, or planning on using a shotgun for self defense.
Afterwards, we went to the Blackwood gun store where we bought a couple of hats. The staff is very friendly, and helpful. Scott B then suggested a great Mexican food restaurant, where we, along with the other instructors/students David, Ginger, and Scott B, all enjoyed lunch and great conversation.

If anyone is, or is planning on being, in the Conroe area, I would recommend checking out the various courses offered, and the range facilities.

Here is the link to the web site: http://blackwoodgunclub.com/index.asp

Click on the Academy tab to see the various classes offered.

Thanks Scott B. for posting the class info, and we really enjoyed meeting you and everyone else there. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott B.

Re: Defensive Shotgun class in Conroe

Post by Scott B. »

Was great having you guys come down and I'm doubly glad you braved the weather. In truth, I was determined to shoot regardless of the weather but I'm glad it stayed as light as it did.

I'm also an enthusiastic convert to the Federal 00 Buck with the Flitecontrol wad. That's a night and day difference in pattern. We were at what, 25 yards, the pattern on my 00 buck was shoulder to shoulder. The patterns w/ the Flitecontrol were fist sized. Very impressive.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Scott B. wrote:Was great having you guys come down and I'm doubly glad you braved the weather. In truth, I was determined to shoot regardless of the weather but I'm glad it stayed as light as it did.

I'm also an enthusiastic convert to the Federal 00 Buck with the Flitecontrol wad. That's a night and day difference in pattern. We were at what, 25 yards, the pattern on my 00 buck was shoulder to shoulder. The patterns w/ the Flitecontrol were fist sized. Very impressive.

Yeah it's actually #1 buck, but it holds together for a long way.
Mrs. Jusme, is interested in the ladies only handgun course, she may include my daughter, and her sister, and make a day out of it. Great facility ya'll have.

:thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mxrdad »

I would be interested in signing my DIL in both the shotgun class and Handgun class. Maybe we can get some more women on the forum and make a day out of it. I bet I could find something to do while waiting. :fire :fire :fire :fire :fire
Just some guy's opinion.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I should post some classes over in the training section.

Defensive Carbine class: Saturday, May 13th - 8am till 12:30pm.
Women's Handgun 101: Saturday May 20th (that's for women who have never shot before) 9 till noon.
Women's Handgun 201, Saturday, May 27th - 9am to noon
Women's Handgun 301, Saturday, May 27th - 1pm to 3pm.
Defensive Shotgun: Saturday, June 10th - 8am till noon.

Handgun 1 should be coming up. I think we have to do some schedule shuffling.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Post by allisji »

I would love to do the shotgun course one day. I don't think that I can make the one in June though. Also would love to do a rifle course. I bet I could get a couple friends to sign up for it.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General”