Gifting a Handgun Question

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
hankintexas
Posts in topic: 2

Gifting a Handgun Question

Post by hankintexas »

My son is on his 9th tour of duty in Iraq. When he returns from this deployment, I plan to buy him a 1911 Sig - Texas Edition. He is stationed in Fort Campbell KY.
My question is, Can I gift the firearm and pre-pay a local dealer and have him pick it up there or, can I buy it here and ship it to him without it being considered a straw purchase?

If you know of another way, please let me know.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith B

Re: Gifting a Handgun Question

Post by Keith B »

hankintexas wrote:My son is on his 9th tour of duty in Iraq. When he returns from this deployment, I plan to buy him a 1911 Sig - Texas Edition. He is stationed in Fort Campbell KY.
My question is, Can I gift the firearm and pre-pay a local dealer and have him pick it up there or, can I buy it here and ship it to him without it being considered a straw purchase?

It will depend on his home of record vs state of residence. Does he still use a Texas address as his legal residence? If so, then no issue with you gifting him the gun directly. If he has changed his legal residence to KY, then you will need to go through an FFL in KY. Here is a good primer on this https://www.army.mil/article/160640

If he has changed to KY, then I know there are FFL's in Ft Campbell that will do transfers for military personnel at cheap rates or maybe even no-cost.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

I think a found the solution on the NRA site,"The ATF recommends that if you want to gift someone a firearm, you should purchase a gift card at the store instead. This way, they’ll get the exact gun they want, there will be no legal issues stemming from your purchase, and it can still be a surprise. However, unwrapping a gift card is far less climatic than a real firearm."
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

hankintexas wrote:I think a found the solution on the NRA site,"The ATF recommends that if you want to gift someone a firearm, you should purchase a gift card at the store instead. This way, they’ll get the exact gun they want, there will be no legal issues stemming from your purchase, and it can still be a surprise. However, unwrapping a gift card is far less climatic than a real firearm."
That's an option, but if he is still a Texas resident (Texas DL and address) then you can buy it and hand it to him with no problem.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

hankintexas wrote:My son is on his 9th tour of duty in Iraq. When he returns from this deployment, I plan to buy him a 1911 Sig - Texas Edition. He is stationed in Fort Campbell KY.

:patriot: 9 tours! Wow, thank you BOTH for keeping us safe!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WoW! Nine tours! Prayers for his safety and please thank him for his service!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would not mention the word gifting. I did and I had to go to another vendor where I kept my mouth shut. Thank your Son for his service.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Austin, Texas.
My wife bought my W&W M&P Mod 2.0, 9mm, 5 inch FDE for my birthday. She signed the paperwork at the FFL. I have it with me right now. No muss, no fuss.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General”