NRA Carry Guard - Level 1 Training

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Re: NRA Carry Guard - Level 1 Training

Post by twomillenium »

Thanks guys, I was interested in the course itself ---- for myself. I like to know what all is involved before I spend that kind of money and time. Like I said, Scotts endorsement by the experience he had will go a long way (even tho we have never met, I have read his posts and feel like I do know him enough to respect his endorsement) I am always wanting to learn more, from others. Especially those with unique experience. I am not interested in instructing this type of course, but all good training helps instructors become better instructors.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Scott B. »

...but all good training helps instructors become better instructors.
Well said.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott B. wrote:
...but all good training helps instructors become better instructors.
Well said.
:iagree: Gregg Garrett, owner of http://www.Comp-Tac.com, is a fantastic instructor and I remember something he said many years ago. "The best instructors are those who are lifetime students." As instructors, if we stop taking courses/classes, the best we can do is teach what we know at the point we stopped being students. If that was twenty years ago, then we are two decades behind. Yes, the basics of shooting don't change, but teaching techniques, new equipment, etc. most assured do change. I'll start a new thread, but I just took a class taught by a recently retired HPD SWAT instructor and sniper instructor. It was an excellent course!

Chas.

diverman26
Posts in topic: 1

Post by diverman26 »

What would you suggest (if any) as a prerequisite for this course? It doesn’t sound quite like it is designed for someone who isn’t already fairly proficient with a handgun.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

diverman26 wrote:What would you suggest (if any) as a prerequisite for this course? It doesn’t sound quite like it is designed for someone who isn’t already fairly proficient with a handgun.
Don't worry about that. The instructors will pace it to the student and if you need some personal one-on-one attention, you'll get it. They won't let you get in over your head.

It's not a bad idea at all to take some classes, if you can, that are already offered in your area. Just about every range has some kind of program going on.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I'll add another note as it sounds like you might be at the beginning of a journey to get more training. It's a piece of advice than an instructor told me once and I've held onto it.

Beware the cult of personality.

There's no one instructor that knows it all or the best way to do everything. There are a couple of things from the Carry Guard class that I won't add to my 'bag of tricks' and a couple that I've immediately adopted. The ones I'm keeping were more than worth the cost of the course and time invested.

Also, if you ever feel like a training activity is unsafe. Don't hesitate to turn around and walk away. Don't stick it out because of peer pressure.

FWIW, Carry Guard was extremely safe. They're on their toes when it comes to student safety.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Had a little Carry Guard tchotchke show up from NRA today, a challenge coin.

They weren't in vogue when I was in and so I've only got a handful. By far my favorite is from the '41 protective detail that an agent gave me.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I had a call about CG the other day which got me to looking at the current training opportunities.

It looks like they've tweaked the structure. Now they're offering:

https://www.nracarryguard.com

NRA CARRY GUARD BASIC TRAINING
2-Day course, typically indoors with a combination of classroom and live-fire training.

NRA CARRY GUARD INTERMEDIATE TRAINING
3-Day course, typically outdoors with classroom and extensive live-fire training and scenario-based training.

NRA CARRY GUARD SCENARIO TRAINING
1-Day course, either indoors or out, some classroom training and multiple drills and force-on-force scenarios.

There's a June (1 spot left) and an August (3 spots left) class here in Texas for the scenario training.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

When I did our version of it, which wasn't as involved, we were all wanded to make sure nobody was taking anything into the training area.
This 1-day course, either indoors or out, includes classroom training and multiple life-like scenarios.

Designed for those who have a CCW permit or live in a state with constitutional carry, this course will test your fundamentals (basics), your ability to execute those fundamentals under stress, and your ability to make the decision to shoot or not to shoot in a dynamic, life-like, real-world environment.

All exercises will be conducted with simulated or UTM guns so there is no need to bring your own firearm or ammunition.
Includes:

Legal Rights and Responsibilities
Mindset / Situational Awareness
Weapons / Tools / Equipment
Firearms Safety & Practical Application
Weapons Handling / Awareness (specific to UTM)
Ready Positions
Drawing from Holster and Reholstering
Force on Force training

Prerequisites
Have a CCW permit or live in a state with constitutional carry.

Equipment Requirements
Layered clothing options to protect you against marking rounds fired from UTM man-marking rounds.
Recommendation: have at least a medium weight jacket that can be shot with wax paint rounds
Eye protection (clear with shatterproof lenses)
Hand-held light
Note pad and pen
Snacks, water
Personal medications if any (please notify instructor of any medical conditions)
The following will be provided to you: helmet/face mask, gloves, and neck protector

Return to “General”