NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

General training discussions and class reviews.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 5

NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Post by Lumberjack98 »

My oldest son has recently moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. :woohoo The troop he joined has a couple of shooting (sporting clays and rifle) events a year. Boy Scouts of America (BSA) requires a certain number of instructors and RSO's for the events. Currently there is one instructor and three RSOs (including myself) among the parents. We will be losing a couple of RSOs this year, but we have an RSO training already planned. Per the BSA website, the closest training that will occur in 2018 is in Dallas on April 27-29. None of us can attend this. Does anyone know if there are NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Course instructors for this around the Houston area that we could contact about setting up a class?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor Courses (BSA approved)

Post by twomillenium »

Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

twomillenium wrote:Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)
I tried that and there are a few in San Antonio and Argyle coming up, but once I check the BSA box the search comes back with zero.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

We had 2 or 3 BSA guys in both our rifle and the shotgun instructor's courses when I went through them.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

Lumberjack98 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Go to the NRA website, it shows upcoming NRA classes and mentors (those who teach instructors)
I tried that and there are a few in San Antonio and Argyle coming up, but once I check the BSA box the search comes back with zero.
I checked also, found nothing close that was scheduled. I have an NRA RSO rating and would be willing to help, if needed, if I were able to schedule it. Let me know.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

twomillenium wrote:I checked also, found nothing close that was scheduled. I have an NRA RSO rating and would be willing to help, if needed, if I were able to schedule it. Let me know.
That's very generous, thank you!
superchief wrote:I may be mistaken,but i think the course is the same for all students. the BSA designation (again, I think) is just an indicator that the course is offered at a significant discount. For example, when I took my RSO class, it was $25. The condition for getting accepted into the course was that we (non-BSA folks) agree to volunteer for 2 events. The instructor had the list of upcoming events ready to go.
That's good information. I thought maybe there was something different about the training.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

BBW

Post by BBW »

go to nrainstructor.org and you can search for BSA classes.

You can also go to local council websites and search for classes as well.

I am up in the DFW area (Longhorn Council) and a CRSO. I am thinking about running an RSO course this fall now that I found out that I can use the LHC office to conduct my training (making the course less costly).

I know Circle Ten (Dallas) runs courses as well and worth checking their website.

Sorry, but I don't know of anything closer to Houston.

Note: The courses are the same as non-BSA courses and same requirements (must be an NRA CT to teach instructor classes, must the a Chief RSO to teach RSO classes, and the teaching must be according to NRA requirements. The BSA Instructors and CRSO tend to teach the classes to BSA volunteers at a discount since this is for the scouts.

Also note, NRA recently changed requirements to require that instructors canidates must take the Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun courses first as students before they can take the Instructor course (which is the same course so I am not sure why the change).

Burl
Last edited by BBW on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burleigh
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, CRSO, USAA Coach level 1, BSA merit badge counselor, NRA & TSRA Life member.

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Great information. Thanks Burl!
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Soldev

Post by Soldev »

What you need is an NRA Training Counselor and I know one who is willing to train anywhere in Texas.
I met him at my last Texas State Guard drill. He operates out of League City and can definitely help you out in short notice.
His website is https://www.armedawarenessacademy.com/contact-us.html and you can reach him at 832-484-0130.
Texas License To Carry Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Benefactor Life Member

wally775

Post by wally775 »

I am in the Waller area quite often.
It might be that I could help out depending on scheduling.
I am an instructor in Rifle, Shotgun and have my CRSO cerification.

If you want and I can work out the schedule I would be glad to help. :tiphat:

Topic author
Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Thanks Soldev and wally775!
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General”