Crossbreed SuperTuck vs. Comp-Tac MTAC

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crossbreed SuperTuck vs. Comp-Tac MTAC

Post by TLE2 »

Received my MTAC today. Still getting used to it.

I've 34" waist and wear a 36" 1 1/2 belt for carry. With my Infidel and 1911, I'm comfortable.

With the MTAC and a Glock 26, I think I'm going to either have to loose weight :smilelol5: or buy a 38" belt and bigger trousers.

I know the Glock is thicker than the 1911, but the leather backing of the MTAC, while making it more comfortable on the kidneys, makes it thicker still.

I'm also having trouble wearing the MTAC in any position except 4:00. I hope that the leather of the MTAC will become more pliable and allow hip carry. I think appendix carry is right out, because of the width between belt hooks.

Also, the Glock pushes into the leather (and consequently me) a bit, making the mouth of the holster closed down, so that re-holster is harder than with the Infidel. I've loosened the holster some and it seems better, I just don't want to loosen it too much.

Just my thoughts on first day with the MTAC.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lumberjack98 »

austinrealtor wrote:
Lumberjack98 wrote:Another one to consider is Tucker's "The Answer"

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's costs more than either the Crossbreed or MTAC, however the Tucker is should be of higher quality.

Curious what is the backside of the Tucker like? Smooth leather, rough leather? any exposed hardware like on the crossbreed? one thing I definitly like about MTAC is the leather covered back side in case I need/want to wear this tucked with no undershirt (holster against skin).
From their website:

"This is the original Answer hybrid holster, made with an especially comfortable dual-layer backing with no exposed hardware. It's fast, known for exceptional comfort, tuckable and adjustable for height and cant. People love the Answer IWB. "Kydex fast and leather comfortable."
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

C-dub wrote:Ordered my MTAC this afternoon with a couple different sizes and colors of clips for different belts. Hope I like it.
It arrived on June 25, after only 6 days.

I like the new versatility with this holster. I am very surprised. I've worn it a few times, including church on Sunday in dockers and a tucked polo shirt. I got dressed and asked the wife how if what I had on was okay. She said it looked fine. She didn't know about the hoolster yet. I purposely gave her a hug before we left the house and when she put her arms around she jumped. She said she had no idea and wondered how it was staying in place.

Even with that endorsement I still felt like everyone could tell. I received communion, walking up in front of everyone, and nothing. There are many LEO's in my church and most people that see me think that I am also one. So, if anyone could tell they probably just thought wrote it off as another LEO carrying in church and were fine with that. I wonder how much longer that will prevail with more and more people getting to know me with my involvement in my parish?

I'm still experimenting with adjusting the ride height, angle, and position on hip, but am pretty happy so far.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 6

Post by A-R »

C-dub wrote:
C-dub wrote:Ordered my MTAC this afternoon with a couple different sizes and colors of clips for different belts. Hope I like it.
It arrived on June 25, after only 6 days.

I like the new versatility with this holster. I am very surprised. I've worn it a few times, including church on Sunday in dockers and a tucked polo shirt. I got dressed and asked the wife how if what I had on was okay. She said it looked fine. She didn't know about the hoolster yet. I purposely gave her a hug before we left the house and when she put her arms around she jumped. She said she had no idea and wondered how it was staying in place.

Even with that endorsement I still felt like everyone could tell. I received communion, walking up in front of everyone, and nothing. There are many LEO's in my church and most people that see me think that I am also one. So, if anyone could tell they probably just thought wrote it off as another LEO carrying in church and were fine with that. I wonder how much longer that will prevail with more and more people getting to know me with my involvement in my parish?

I'm still experimenting with adjusting the ride height, angle, and position on hip, but am pretty happy so far.
I assume this is for your G27? Would your G22 also fit in the same holster? I have a G23 and am contemplating adding a G27 (or Walther PPS), reason I ask.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Sorry Austin.

I didn't mean to ignore you. I just haven't checked this thread.

Yes. It is for the 27. I was coming back to the thread tonight because I've made a couple of adjustments that have greatly increased the comfort for me. I have raised the clips so that the holster sits lower inside the waistband to the point where there is only one more position lower. I've also changed the cant one position to a little more upright. I may adjust it back now that I've raised the clips so high. We'll see.

I ordered it specifically for the sub-compacts. The 22 will not fit. I just tried it and because of the lower end of the kydex the barrel of the 22 will not fit through it and therefore the trigger guard will not fit all the way down where it is supposed to. I think this can be ordered for a generic Glock so that either will fit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

BTW, after AustinRealtor asked about this I thought that if someone wanted to use alternate their sub-compact, mid, or full size glock you should probably order it to fit the full size. I ordered it specifically for the 27 and, due to the design of the kydex, I don't think the 23 or 22 will fit. The bottom of the kydex is curved inward and the slide hits this before the trigger guard is fully in place. The slide on my 22 actually began to push back when I tried to insert it into my holster. So, I think if one ordered it to fit a full size then each of the models would fit. If this is one's intention I would ask Compt-Tac first.

dBex

Post by dBex »

Austinrealtor I am in north Austin and have a supertuck and a glock 27. If you want to check them out some time shoot me a pm and I will let you check em out.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

I have a supertuck and a taurus 24/7 i love the crossbreed it's very comfortable were I wear it at, the only downside is, no matter what shirt I wear when I set down my shirt always seems to tuck behind the handle thus exposing my gun. Any tips on how to prevent this besides pull down on my shirt every time I sit/stand or am I doing it wrong?
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've been noticing this same problem with some of my shirts. Most of them have been a little shorter than others. So far, I've just gotten used to reaching around and pulling it out as I stand back up.

ladromar

Post by ladromar »

CrimsonSoul wrote:I have a supertuck and a taurus 24/7 i love the crossbreed it's very comfortable were I wear it at, the only downside is, no matter what shirt I wear when I set down my shirt always seems to tuck behind the handle thus exposing my gun. Any tips on how to prevent this besides pull down on my shirt every time I sit/stand or am I doing it wrong?
CrimsonSoul how's the cant in the holster?

Are you using a 15 or 20 degree cant?

I use the maximum forward cant and this issue seems almost not existent. (Glock19)

However you do need to be careful with form fitting shirts.

I also carry at 5:30.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

ladromar wrote:
CrimsonSoul wrote:I have a supertuck and a taurus 24/7 i love the crossbreed it's very comfortable were I wear it at, the only downside is, no matter what shirt I wear when I set down my shirt always seems to tuck behind the handle thus exposing my gun. Any tips on how to prevent this besides pull down on my shirt every time I sit/stand or am I doing it wrong?
CrimsonSoul how's the cant in the holster?

Are you using a 15 or 20 degree cant?

I use the maximum forward cant and this issue seems almost not existent. (Glock19)

However you do need to be careful with form fitting shirts.

I also carry at 5:30.
The cant is as forward as I can make it. I think the reason is my shirts (I need some new ones). For the time being I just have to make sure I pull down on my shirt when sitting/standing
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 6

Post by A-R »

The Comp-Tac MTAC definitely appears to have adjustable cant (5 different holes on each clip provide adjustment, I'm assuming). But from the photos on Crossbreed web site, adjustability is not as apparent. I notice some of y'all with Crossbreed are discussing adjusting cant. How is this done? Are there different holes in the leather where you can mount the clips?

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

austinrealtor wrote:The Comp-Tac MTAC definitely appears to have adjustable cant (5 different holes on each clip provide adjustment, I'm assuming). But from the photos on Crossbreed web site, adjustability is not as apparent. I notice some of y'all with Crossbreed are discussing adjusting cant. How is this done? Are there different holes in the leather where you can mount the clips?
Yes, it adjusts in a similar manner. I don't have it in front of me at the moment to count, but I believe there are also 5 holes per clip on the SuperTuck.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

pdubyoo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pdubyoo »

austinrealtor wrote:The Comp-Tac MTAC definitely appears to have adjustable cant (5 different holes on each clip provide adjustment, I'm assuming). But from the photos on Crossbreed web site, adjustability is not as apparent. I notice some of y'all with Crossbreed are discussing adjusting cant. How is this done? Are there different holes in the leather where you can mount the clips?
I carry the Supertuck with a 4" XD40, and at full forward cant, it is very comfortable at 3:00. The leather has 4 holes where the clips attach, instead of the clip having the adjustment holes. There was one problem that I had with that design...with the holster at full forward cant and the forward clip being attached to the top hole, there was some excess leather on the forward lower end of the holster that was not being utilized. With the cant, it hung down and dug into my right thigh when I sat down. An exacto knife and some careful cutting took care of that issue.

One thing I like about the Kydex is that it's very rigid and doesn't collapse when the holster is empty. Another is that I wanted more retention-ability than what it came with from Crossbreed, and they have instructions on how to add more retention with the use of a heat gun on the Kydex. This is a very tricky operation, so you have to follow the instructions closely, but the end result is a holster that I absolutely love. Customization isn't a bad thing. We do it to our homes and cars/trucks all the time.

-PW
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”