Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
DMoses
Posts in topic: 3

Mag. problem with Pro CDP

Post by DMoses »

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Kimber Pro CDP and after-market magazines. I have 3 Wilson 8-round mags and 1 Chip McCormick 8-rounder. The problem that I'm having is that when the slide is pulled back on a full clip that it makes considerable contact with the top round in the mag.
I have 2 children in my house and even though I always keep my pistol out of reach and sight of them I find myself frequently doing "slide checks" to ensure that the pistol is loaded/unloaded. When doing so the slide scrapes the top round and leaves obvious scratchs/abrasions.
A friend of mine had suggested that I alter the mags at the top by "bending" them to pull the top round down slightly. I have 2 questions.....
1. Is this type of thing common with Kimber's or other guns?
2. Should I modify the mags?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanx!

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Welcome to the forum!

It's normal for the bottom of the slide to rub the top round on a full mag. Does the gun function properly? How big of a scratch are you talking about? If it's just cosmetic then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's physically deforming the top round then you have a problem.

Topic author
DMoses

Post by DMoses »

Thanks for the rapid response!

I would say that for the most part its a "cosmetic" issue with the top round but, sometimes when doing a "slide check" the slide does'nt completely return to the front unless I give it a little nudge. Thats the part that concerns me and makes me wonder if the mags are'nt seating correctly. I dont know but I could just be fretting over nothing.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

DMoses wrote:Thanks for the rapid response!

I would say that for the most part its a "cosmetic" issue with the top round but, sometimes when doing a "slide check" the slide does'nt completely return to the front unless I give it a little nudge. Thats the part that concerns me and makes me wonder if the mags are'nt seating correctly. I dont know but I could just be fretting over nothing.
As Highvelocity said, welcome to the forum.

Don't bend the mag. lips! That's a sure way to induce malfunctions. When mags. fail, it's often because the lips are bent out-of-spec.

It's not unusual for a fully loaded 8 round mag to cause the problem you are seeing after a press check. The spring tension with 8 round mags. is putting a good deal of pressure on the slide. Make sure you have the gun oiled properly (not too much) and don't worry about it, so long as it will chamber a round when you rack the slide and will properly cycle when shooting.

Just as an aside, try removing one round and insert the mag into the pistol with only 7 rounds and try the press check. I suspect you will not have the same slide-drag problems, though some scratching of the top round will still occur.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
DMoses

Post by DMoses »

Thanks Charles! :)

You were right about the trying it with only 7 rounds. I guess I was just worrying too much.

Mrjayjay00

Aftermarket Mags

Post by Mrjayjay00 »

I bought some aftermarket mags for a bersa that I had sometimes they would not eject the bullet or would not stay snapped in properly. I was told that is was because they were aftermarket and most of the time even though the aftermarket spec say they are the same they aren't. You may consider ordering the proper mags for the brand of weapon. I recommend this to anyone now. You never know when these mags may malfunction so I highly recommend to match equipment. I you spent the 700 or 800 hundred on the weapon please do yourself a favor and get the proper stuff to go with it. That would be like going down buying a cadillac for 40 or 50 G's and then going to autozone to buy some hubcaps for it in my opinion. Just my opinion though I will nevet mismatch brands again my Life depends on it sometimes!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I think the Wilson mags for any 1911 are like putting a supercharger on it...they are great, and usually way better than the factory mags for a 1911.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I like my CM mags as well. I have been using them over 5 years and all is still well with them. (Ask anybody here who knows me and they will tell you how hard I am on gear, so when something last for that long w/ me, it is a good sign.)

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Baytown wrote:(Ask anybody here who knows me and they will tell you how hard I am on gear, . . .
Props too! :smilelol5: :lol::

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”