Kydex inside the waistband (IWB) holsters for the 1911.

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 4

Kydex inside the waistband (IWB) holsters for the 1911.

Post by HighVelocity »

Hello, my name is Gary and I am a holster addict. :biggrinjester:

I have tried just about every kydex IWB holster on the market at one time or another. Each one has had pros and cons.
Finally, the pile has been narrowed down to ONE effective and comfortable design.

After throwing piles of money at holsters, here's what I've found works best for me. FWIW.

1911, single column mag, any caliber:

Blade-techs IDPA approved IWB holster for a 5" pistol.
I say get the 5" model because it will carry all 1911's up to and including the 5". While at a glance this holster looks like the tried and true Summer Special design, it's quite different.
It uses rubber belt loops that will not slide around on your belt regardless of belt material. The loops are adjustable for 1.25", 1.5" and 1.75" belts. The sweat shield is large enough to keep even the wildest sweeping grip safety out of your gut. The holster will ride in the same position all day, I don't ever have to adjust because it's tilting. And finally, it's tension is adjustable.

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistb ... r-820.html

For all you non-believers, I'll be posting several other makes of Kydex IWB holsters for 1911's for sale sometime this week. :cool:

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kalrog »

I am actually looking for something like this in the very near future! I have a 3.5" 1911 that needs a good IWB holster and I appreciate your thoughts. I have been of the opinion that wider is better for IWB holsters to minimize how thick they are. Specifically I was looking at the following (and the blade-tech wasn't on the list until now). If you have experience with any of them I would love to hear it. I think all of these have a tuckable option - but I don't know if I would use that feature. Not a bad one to have just in case though.

Tucker:
"The Answer"
http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answer.html

Milt Sparks:
"Versa Max 2"
http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm

Comp-Tac: (this one is the current front runner - especially in the slide)
"C-TAC"
http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I tried the Tucker, it got really hot with that big piece of leather in the summer.
The VMII is great and when I choose to go with leather (winter) that's the holster for me.
The CTAC is great and I especially like the slide BUT, if you get the slide then I recommend you NOT reholster the pistol after shooting until you're sure the gun has cooled off. Trust me on this one. :lol:

I have a CTAC slide, a Gurka slide and a Gurka for a Commander and will make you a deal if that's what you decide to go with. :twisted:

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

HighVelocity wrote: I recommend you NOT reholster the pistol after shooting until you're sure the gun has cooled off.
That wasn't something I had really thought about - but I can just imagine how right you are. I will learn from your mistakes oh master.
HighVelocity wrote:I have a CTAC slide, a Gurka slide and a Gurka for a Commander and will make you a deal if that's what you decide to go with. :twisted:
How long is the slide? Would it be a full length for a 3" barrel or so but not for a longer one or is it really short and won't fully cover any barrell? I might just take you up on the C-TAC offer... which clips do you have? I have a IWB from Tucker for a j-frame that uses the C-Clips and those really seem to be a good improvement in the concealability area without losing any stability. Does make it a bit wider though (not much).

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

A 3" barreled 1911 is completely covered (barely) by the slide holster. All others protrude.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Which clips does your C-TAC have and how much do you want for it? Or should I wait until you actually put it on the auction block?

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Kalrog, sent you a pm

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”