Holster Review Resource

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

TxSheepdog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Holster Review Resource

Post by TxSheepdog »

I'm curious to see how the Remora holds up to movement. Sitting standing, bending to get in and out of the car without falling out. Drawing etc. Price is good. I need a small holster for my LCR.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Longshot38
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Longshot38 »

Well I can tell you that after several days wear I can confidently say that the Remora design is solid. The holster does NOT move after being placed on the body. However if your waistband is not capable of holding the weight of the pistol that is a different story, but a simple way to figure this out is that if the waistband/belt you are wearing does not provide enough pressure to provide good retention then the holster will not stay in place. And as noted previously my EDC is pretty hefty so if you carry smaller and lighter this will be of no relevance. So a big thumbs up to whoever did the R&D here. The material on the exterior of the holster preforms as well as prescribed.

When speaking of comfort of the holster I have nothing but good things to say. The holster wears exceedingly well, in fact the comfort level is better then my Comp-Tac Spartan. The only down side that have found is that a base layer between you and holster makes for a much better experience, however the same can be said for about any holster.

Concealablity is not as good as I would have hoped but it seems to be a product of the reinforced top. But a simple solution exist for this, buy the version without. As for the tuckable feature it works really well once in place however getting the holster set initially can provide some difficulty. But again this is not a feature that one has to deal with, it is just a feature that I prefer.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I recently received my Remora for my Hi Power. I did not get the tuckable option but really wish I would have.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Longshot38
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Longshot38 »

The other day I decided that I wanted to add a concealable OWB holster to my collection. Thus my internet search begin. And after looking around a bit I cam across the Bianchi 125 (it is part of the Allusion line), at under $50 I decided to give it a shot. The holster is a reinforced leather OWB/IWB holster that is of surprisingly good quality given the price. I say OWB/IWB holster because while it was designed for OWB carry it does come with a second set of belt loops that allow for IWB carry as well. My impressions on this are that in terms of IWB use the holster works but my Comp-Tac Spartan is undoubtedly better. For OWB use this holster just rocks. It is comfortable, rides close to the body and conceals well, offers good retention (could be a little better here), and holds it shape very well. So if one is looking for a good OWB concealment holster this is most certainly something for your consideration.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Adding this company. I have not used them, but a friend who just got his CHL is using one for his SR9c and really likes it. Seem similar to the Remora no-clip holsters. Also have various accessories. http://www.stickyholsters.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kde71450

Post by kde71450 »

I am interested in the Remora. I have read 99% good things on other forums about it. I have decided to initially go with a different non conventional system (3 speed) but I am still thinking of either the Remora or Sticky Holster too.

.30calSolution
Posts in topic: 3

Post by .30calSolution »

chefkristian wrote:Kholster Half-Moon holster for 1911 Officer.

I do not have pictures,but there are plenty on Kholster's website... http://www.kholster.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of the box, this holster ain't very pretty. Kinda just normal looking, which is fine by me since the holster is supposed to be CONCEALED right? :thumbs2: It is a hybrid holster similar to the CrossBreed and MTAC. Leather back with kydex holster. The difference other than the price tag ($49 SHIPPED!) is the ability to completely customize the depth and cant. MANY MANY options.

I love that it is VERY easy to customize to how you want to wear it. The clips are easily removed and there are PLENTY of holes to move the clips around to. It took me 4 different times to get it set where it was the most comfortable and had ease of the draw. Now it is perfect. I have it sitting in the 4 o'clock and i barely notice that it is there. I tried it in many different positions. Appendix (was not comfortable in seated position, no printing), 2 and 3 o'clock (while comfortable, my gun printed too much), 4 o'clock (most comfortable, little to no printing), 5 o'clock (not practical for draw). I have been wearing it since 11am and it is now after midnight. I must say... this this is super comfortable.

To add a little to this. I had tried many holsters prior to owning a kholster (well my first one as I now own several)and I wish I would had found and tried their products first. Most of the big brand or we'll known IBW holster manufacturers products will run $70+ and most with options to allow adjustment for comfort and can't will put you in the $100+ range easily. Not to mention several months waiting period.

One thing that sticks out as a huge feature, besides the price is the fact that they will allow you to modify the holster however you see fit and still warantee the quality of the product for life. You can cut sections out of it or trim it even. Also 90 days to wear it and if you don't love it they will take it back and you will only be out for the cost of the return shipping.

My suggestion to other persons that carry IWB, place your order and you should have it in a couple weeks and not months and if you don't love it after 90 days get your money back. I am hoping that possibly I can save a few others from having a drawer full of pricey under-utilised holsters like I have. :banghead:

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

For IWB I can't say enough praise about either Remora or Kholster - quality products and reasonably priced with good warranty and product support. I own Kholster Crescent and Little Moon and Remora 4-ART-FS and 5-ART-FS. I prefer the complete coverage of gun, so that no part contacts body sweat/oil. Use mink oil on back side of Kholsters to sweat proof and Remora is impervious to sweat and easily cleaned up from use using mild detergent.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I think it would be a lot more helpful if each of these reviews was in its own thread. That way folks could reply about the specific holster and readers could read the review as well as the replies and get a good sense of whether the holster might be the one for them.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I want three things from a holster; comfort, security and concealment. I carry a Sig P239 in .357 Sig and one extra magazine.

I'm on my second MTAC holster, and I have to say I'm disappointed. With the first holster I found that maximum forward cant gave me the best concealment, and it was quite comfortable as well. Unfortunately, over time the leather deformed to the point that there was a huge bulge near my pocket that was very difficult to hide. The plastic clips also deformed and caused bulges. I discussed the issue with a CompTac employee, and he told me that the holster couldn't take the weight of the gun being canted that far forward. That was a big disappointment. If canting the holster forward causes the leather to deform, why does CompTac offer positions on the clips that allow that much cant? He couldn't answer that.

I ordered a second holster. I haven't canted it at all. I've had it about three months, and the leather is already deforming, and the clips are bowing and causing bulges that are obvious to me, although I know most people are so unobservant they would never notice. I won't be buying another CompTac MTAC.

I've also tried the Kangeroo Carry (didn't like it - it rode up under my arms and was very uncomfortable), the ActiveProWear Defender belly band (bunched up and re-holstering was a pain, the Butscher's IWB holster (the metal clips defaced my belt pretty quick, and it was really hard to put on) and I have ordered a Tactipac Fusion that I have high hopes for, but we'll see.

The biggest problems I've noticed with carrying are 1) figuring out what to do with the gun and holster when going into public bathrooms. (I usually try to pick the last stall so that no one will be to my right.) 2) Problems with the interaction of the holster and gun with my clothing; poor concealment, difficulty of handling pulling the pants back up, problems tucking after holstering up, etc. For me personally, I would prefer for the holster and gun to be independent of my pants. I may eventually go to a leather shoulder holster, although those are pretty expensive and drawing the weapon can be a problem.

I haven't tried OWB holsters, but I'd have to wear my shirts untucked, and that won't work for me at the office. So I'd have to wear a cover garment, which is a problem in the summer heat. I'd also want retention on an OWB holster, because it's too easy, IMO, for someone else to grab the weapon.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

.30calSolution

Post by .30calSolution »

baldeagle wrote:I want three things from a holster; comfort, security and concealment. I carry a Sig P239 in .357 Sig and one extra magazine.
Spend $50, receive a kholster in a couple weeks and if you don't like it, you are out the cost of usps flat-rate shipping it back. ;-)

I go for the full-size one because the warranty they off allows you to trim it if you like. If you order a half-moon you can't add leather. The one thing that I think really won me over is the fact that I didn't have the firearm or edge of a clip sticking me in the side all day. With the large leather backing it spreads that pressure of having a pistol stuffed In your waist out enough that you will pretty much forget it's there.

Do not expect it to be beautiful, you've been warned. :lol:

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Keith B wrote:Adding this company. I have not used them, but a friend who just got his CHL is using one for his SR9c and really likes it. Seem similar to the Remora no-clip holsters. Also have various accessories. http://www.stickyholsters.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anybody tried their smart phone burrito? I'm going to move into the 21st Century soon and don't want to hang the smart phone on my belt where it might get in the way of pistols, magazines, or other important stuff.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

.30calSolution

Post by .30calSolution »

Has anyone tried any SneakyPete holsters? The belt clip holsters for pocket/compact size guns look like they could be handy.

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I have been using this one since January - The DeSantis Cozy Partner for the Sig Sauer P238.

This was the first IWB holster that I purchased for my Sig and I’ve fallen in love with the thing. The price was $50 and free shipping from Optics Planet via Amazon.

The break-in period is about a week and you’ll find particles of leather on your gun for a little while after that but it is not excessive. The retention is fantastic even when outside of the waistband and I can shake the gun upside down and it won’t slide out of the holster. It is a canted holster and it’s a “FBI cant”. This makes it perfect for 3/4 o’clock carry however I prefer appendix carry and it is equally as comfortable. Even though it is a leather holster I am able to re-holster without issue unlike the cheaper Galco IWB pictured below alongside the DeSantis. The belt loops fit up to 1.75 and I’ve had no issues at all with any belts smaller than that. It does have an adjustable retention screw that is towards the back of the trigger guard but I have found it to be unnecessary although that may change over time. I am able to conceal my gun very well in this holster typically with just a t-shirt and it completely disappears with anything more than that.

If I haven't mentioned it yet this holster is incredibly comfortable. The exterior leather is as smooth as butter, and it has excellent coverage so that you're not being poked with steel. I decided to carry this on a 4 hour hike (appendix carry) and the gun didn't move, I wasn't rubbed raw and I honestly didn't really feel it there at all unless I was bending over to catch my breath :lol: . I also noticed that it didn't appear to be sponging up sweat.

Simply put this is one of the best non-custom holsters on the market for the P238.

ImageImage
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

baldeagle wrote: For me personally, I would prefer for the holster and gun to be independent of my pants. I may eventually go to a leather shoulder holster, although those are pretty expensive and drawing the weapon can be a problem.
I recently picked up a Galco Jackass shoulder holster that I'll review here soon but to give you the skinny it is comfortable and easy to draw from with practice. It was pricey but it is a high quality rig.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”