Crossbreed SuperTuck vs. Comp-Tac MTAC

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
A-R
Posts in topic: 6

Crossbreed SuperTuck vs. Comp-Tac MTAC

Post by A-R »

Been looking at both of these holsters. Curious from those who've owned/used one or both your thoughts.

Not sure exactly which gun I'd use in one of these, but possibly a new CCW when I finally buy it (either Walter PPS or Glock 27). The tuckable feature of both will be important to me, since untucked shirts are not often a possibility for me in my professional life. Might even get one for my Glock 23, but already have so many holster for that gun (need to get rid of a few).

I've never owned a holster in this configuration - with two belt clips on either side of the gun. Other IWB holsters I've used and liked are Galco Royal Guard and High Noon Split Decision. I'd like to try one with two clips to see if it really is more comfortable and conceals better with tucked shirt. Obviously, if there are any other comparable holsters to the Crossbreed or MTAC, I'd love to hear about them as well.

From what I've read on the respective web sites, I like the new metal clips on the Crossbreed. On the MTAC, I like the extra leather padding/reinforcement on the body side. On the Crossbreed, what is its body side like? I can't tell from web site (no photos or descriptions).

Also any pluses/minuses regarding order fulfillment times, delivery times, customer service. Any reliability issues?

Anyway, appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

gemini
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crossbreed SuperTuck vs. Comp-Tac MTAC

Post by gemini »

I have a few "tuckable" holsters. You might try KDholsters web site. Takes about
16 weeks if you order. The leather is very thin and stiff. Gun fits nicely with minimal breakin.
You can change out the belt clips to suit your needs. Adjustable cant and ride height.
I carry 1911's. No problems with concealment and a nice comfy rig. The owner (Kevin)
responds quickly to email and more important, delivers when he says he will. I prefer leather
over Kydex.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

See my signature for the link to the holster resource. My review of the MTAC is there.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I have both holsters, the Crossbreed is smooth leather on the backside. The Crossbreed is good for the money but it tends to press my magazine release on my SP2022 (you can search for the post, it has happened to others also). I use the MTAC for both my full size 1911 and my G30, it seems to be sturdier. I never wear them "tucked", I always have a shirt untucked. I think I will go with an all leather holster next time but I like both the crossbreed and MTAC.

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

From photos and desciptions it appears the MTAC utilizes thicker leather (more layers?). But which has the better quality leather? I notice Crossbreed offers horsehide, an important consideration considering for IWB carry. Does the MTAC also come in horsehide or is it cowhide?

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Thought I'd pass along this info. I placed an order for the MTAC on Sunday 5/31, received email on 6/1 that it was in production, email on 6/3 status is "in Shipping", email received today 6/4, taken to post office and shipped.

The web site said 10 days plus the 3-6 days standard mail, so it may be here Saturday, 6 business days from order.

This is for my S&W M&P 9c can't wait to try it out and break it in while I wait for my plastic.
NRA Life Member

bonehead1185

Post by bonehead1185 »

I use a crossbreed for my Taurus PT145 and love it. The body-side of it started a little rough but is now smooth. I went with the horsehide version since they said its better with sweat and I tend to sweat alot. The metal clips are great and hold tight. I started with the plastic ones but one broke after hitting it on my car door and they sent me a set of the metal ones to replace them for free. The main reason I went with the crossbreed is because they offer a lifetime warranty on it. The shipping time for my was only about 2 weeks which is better than most other holster companies. I hope that helps you!
8-10-08: CHL class taken
8-15-08: Mailed application
8-18-08: Received in Austin
9-3-08: PIN received - Processing Application
10-6-08: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active- 7 weeks after received!
10-10-08: Plastic received!!!!!!!!! 2 months to the day after class!!!

dBex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dBex »

I have a crossbreed for my g27 and I am trying to decide what to get for my 1911. I am thinking that I may get a full leather one, but I am not sure how bulky a lot of them are.
The supertuck is a great holster. I often forget that I am wearing it.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I use a DMBullard Leather Dual Carry for my Kimber Compact
It is very comfortable and tuckable, an option I dont use.

My next holster will be a Crossbreed. I tried one that my friend uses and WOW....I really like it.

one thing to keep in mind with the metal clips is they will cut holes in your shirt. I do a lot of driving for work and all of my work shirts have holes near my belt line from the clips. I made me some out of Kydex and no more problems.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Another one to consider is Tucker's "The Answer"

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's costs more than either the Crossbreed or MTAC, however the Tucker is should be of higher quality.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Target1911 wrote: one thing to keep in mind with the metal clips is they will cut holes in your shirt. I do a lot of driving for work and all of my work shirts have holes near my belt line from the clips. I made me some out of Kydex and no more problems.
Good to know ... any particular reason for this? Are the metal clips sharp on the back end where the shirt is tucked? or is it just the normal edge of the metal that causes this?

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I'm seriously looking at the SuperTuck with the velcro clip option. Of course i'll also need a belt with a velcro back, but this seems to be the most inconspicuous method of attachment and would take care of the problem of the clips wearing holes or scratching the belt as I've also read is a problem.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Topic author
A-R

Post by A-R »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Another one to consider is Tucker's "The Answer"

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's costs more than either the Crossbreed or MTAC, however the Tucker is should be of higher quality.

Curious what is the backside of the Tucker like? Smooth leather, rough leather? any exposed hardware like on the crossbreed? one thing I definitly like about MTAC is the leather covered back side in case I need/want to wear this tucked with no undershirt (holster against skin).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I read wildscar's review of the MTAC about 6 months ago and bought it. I absolutely love it! I use it as my daily carry holster and would not trade it for anything. Also, it may not be specifically designed to tuck but you can.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

Ordered my MTAC this afternoon with a couple different sizes and colors of clips for different belts. Hope I like it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”