Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Review: Milt Sparks IQM

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've been using my new Milt Sparks IQM with my Thunder Ranch Special for about eight days now. Since I have VM-II's, as well as other Sparks IWB's for most of my carry guns, I didn't order it with the IWB clips.

The holster is very stable and holds the gun close to the body. It is also quite comfortable, but that is not unusual for a good OWB with a good belt. What did surprise me is that I can actually feel difference without the paddle of the NP-1. I had not noticed it before, but that's probably because I use an IWB at least as much as an OWB, if not more. I won't miss the paddle, but it did have one minor advantage. The NP-1 was easier to put on because the paddle held the holster in place while I secured the snaps. With the IQM, I don't put the gun in the holster until it is secured on the belt.

The draw from the IQM is faster than the NP-1, due to the wrap-around pocket design. I carry it at the 3:00 - 3:30 position, as I do virtually all of my holsters, and not having the “fat guard� makes it easier and faster to obtain a firing grip before drawing. It is surprisingly quick, but not as quick as my Sparks #1 Heritage and its an IWB! (The draw speed of that holster still amazes me.)

Overall, I like the IQM better than my NP-1's. I sold my NP-1 for 5" 1911's, have ordered another IQM for my Commanders, and will sell the NP-1 for Commanders when the new holster arrives. This will not be my holster for IDPA, but I am going to give it a try as I do all of my holsters, just to see how it compares. I suspect it will do well.

Not too long ago, I felt that the IQM style holsters were primarily for folks like me who have to take a holster off and put it on a few times a day, rather than people who can put it on in the morning and take it off at the end of the day. This opinion was based upon the greater stability that could be obtained by a traditional OWB with a proper fitting, high quality gun belt. However, the IQM is every bit as stable as a traditional OWB, at least in my experience, so I’m not at all sure this distinction is still valid.

The IQM is an excellent holster. Sometimes I think Tony sits around dreaming up new ideas so I'll have to add to the holster inventory! Oh well, there are far worse vices than guns and fine holsters.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Thanks for the great review. I am a big Milt Sparks fan, though I haven't tried the IQM, I have their leather for almost every gun I own.
I don't have a commander sized NP-1 yet though. (wink wink nudge nudge) :lol:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you are serious, I'll be happy to send you a PM before I put it up for sale. Other than the wait though, you may want to consider the IQM.

Regards,
Chas.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the review, Charles.

I have also been looking into the Milt Sparks line. The VMII seems to get high marks from everyone that has one. I haven't seen a bad review yet.

Right now I am using a Tucker IWB and am not all that thrilled with it. The material and construction quality is execellent, but it isn't really comfortable.

My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”