Fanny Packs Anyone?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
paulbrodt
Posts in topic: 1

Fanny Packs Anyone?

Post by paulbrodt »

I can't believe I am considering a fanny pack. I have been trying to find the right holster for my G19. But unless I get a totally new wardrobe or buy a smaller gun I'm not sure what else to go with. I am tall and slender, 6'1 and 170pds, so anything sticking out of my side looks pretty wierd. I'm not sure I can get used to IWB holsters.

So if there is anyone out there willing to admit they use a fannypack I would like to hear what your experience has been like.

or maybe I will just start wearing Hawaiian shirts.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
- General George Patton Jr

AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Well, I'll go ahead and admit it. I'm partial to Galco's front-pack holsters. I find them to be useful for general outdoor carry, traveling, and especially for protecting the hardware in harsh environments, specifically for marine use and around rain, snow, sand, or dust. They conceal a sidearm well. Handling in public is a non-issue.

In a car, you can loop the holster's belt around the seatbelt buckle a couple of times and hang the gun over the front of the seat, giving you quick, reach-in access. It only takes a second to don the pack when you leave the car. And there's plenty of room for extra magazines.

On a humorous note, I picked up my front pack at a cop shop in Los Angeles during the Watts riots. My first trip out with it was to a McD's on the west side of the Watts barrio for lunch. Security was very tight there, with city cops at the doors and inside. I greeted the officer at the door on my way in, and he practically saluted me in return, giving me a brief status report. At the table, I mentioned that to my companion, and he explained that the Galcos are very popular with detectives and off-duty officers, who use them jogging, at the beach, etc. I was amused. Since then, my experience has been that most cops do notice, and are unconcerned; but others are completely oblivious.

Don't give up on belt carry, though. There are a lot of folks on the forum who are experts at this, and know the ins-and-outs of high-end holsters and how to use them. Seek their advice. I like shoulder holsters for daily casual wear, and the forum has a resident expert on those, as well. Good luck!

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

I have been a frequent user of fanny packs, unfortunately I wore out my favorite and I don't like the fit or feel of the couple of others that I have.

Only once have I been "busted" (that I know of) using a fanny pack. When I was in training to become a TSA screener I was approached in the hall by one of the administrators and asked if I was "strapped up", having no idea what the term meant, I told him I didn't think so. Then he asked straight out if I was carrying a gun and I told him that I was.

Then I got a lecture about carrying in a "Federal Facility" (this was in the Radisson Hotel in Dallas) and all that, and was told to "secure your weapon in your vehicle." When I pointed out how unsecure the parking lot was, and that we had been told to make sure that we took valuables inside due to numerous break-ins in that parking lot, he told me, essentially, that it was too bad, and my risk, and a variety of other stuff.

I also pointed out that this was not a "Federal Facility" and that we had not been provided adequate notice under Texas law, and that I knew that a couple of other students were carrying under their CHLs and that I expected them to be treated in the same manner. This worthy then proceeded to give me verbal notification that carry was prohibited, and then he went around to all of the classrooms and did the same, and in each case revealed that I was the person who had been "caught" carrying.

I got no punishment, except a "reputation" and wore my fanny pack every day, just to keep them guessing.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

I agree with AV8R in not giving up on belt carry. I use a fanny pack for special occasions. Long car trips is one. Trips to the gym or other places where I can take off the pack, but still have it close.

But it is definitely not an 'every day' carry. If you wore one every day, it would be too out of place and draw attention when others felt so too.

In getting belt carry to work, realize that you may need to alter your wardrobe. Bigger pants and belt that are not form fitting. You'll have to play around to find what works for you, but when you find a good solution, it will have been worth the effort. I carry IWB at 3:00 so I can 'cover' the gun with my arm resting naturally at my side if I think someone is trying to look for a gun.

In addition to the fanny pack, I also will use a day planner and smart carry depending on the situation. It is best to have a suite of options from which to choose...

Good luck.

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I have two butt packs. A nylon twotone for every day. And a black leather one that is smaller for a less casual look.

I wear it and I don't care who sees it or what they think I have in it.
I like the fact that I can put most of my stuff in it and don't have to have things in my pockets.

Since I've heard and read all the whoop-t-do about "a butt pack screams gun or shoot me first" or it is "not manly". I have started to carry a K-T P32 in my front pocket sometimes. Now if somebody draws on me and demands the butt pack, I'll drop it and go for the P32.

A SmartCarry is good too. I have one and use it when a butt pack would be TOO out of place. Like church! (Well some churches) The churches where camo or bare midriff is acceptable probably wouldn't notice a butt pack. Some of the Mods would know for sure. ;-)

IWB is good! Really! Try just behind your hip, 3:30-4:00 area. It won't stick out to the side and make you look wider. If you have the normal "S curve" in your spine your shirt will be baggy in that area anyway.

I like IWB. You need an undershirt to keep the gun and holster off your bare skin and then something baggy, dark colored or patterned to cover.

It's better to have choices. And here in the Gulf Coast area you are going to be hot and uncomfortable on some summer days carry or not.

Good luck, Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

maaaAAAAaaan, I just don't like the Fanny Pack thing.
I mean, I wore one when I was in school in the early '90s, but, I'm not a big fan of them now a days.
on the otherside of things, maybe it's the best way for you to carry your BoomStick. Personally I think that you CAN wear it IWB at 6:00 (small of back) no problem. long as you are not tucking in your shirt.
if you are, maybe you can don a vest, or sports coat.
there are too many options available to limit one's self in where protection is carried.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

jimlongley wrote:I also pointed out that this was not a "Federal Facility"
Actually, it was.

From 18 USC 930 (prohibiting weapons in "federal facilities"):

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

repsychler

Post by repsychler »

(1) The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

But would a rented room at a hotel be considered a place where federal employees are "regularly present?"

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

KBCraig wrote:
jimlongley wrote:I also pointed out that this was not a "Federal Facility"
Actually, it was.

From 18 USC 930 (prohibiting weapons in "federal facilities"):

(g) As used in this section:
It wasn't leased, something I confirmed later, it was rented, just like any other business using a hotel's conference rooms. And not one of us was a Federal employee as such, the trainers were contractors, the adminstrators were contractors, and those of us who were students were unpaid during the training period and only became employees after we passed it.

TSA played fast and loose with the rules early on.

I still like fanny packs as an option, particularly in places where heavy touristy traffic generally means that there will be lots of fanny packs present. I just wish I could replace my favorite, I bought it at a gun show, there is no brand name or tag, and I have never been able to find another like it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Ah. That's much different, then. Thanks for the clarification, Jim.

I wouldn't bet the farm over "rented" being distinct from "leased", but if you weren't employees yet, and neither were the trainers, then the section wouldn't apply.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Fanny packs look a little out of place, IMO.

You have to remember that you have to conceal the gun, you want to conceal it from the folks who count - the BGs(open carry arguements set aside, I am for open carry FWIW). They tend to be smarter and more attentive than sheeple, and will notice stuff like that. They often grow up in an atmosphere of guns and know the signs - its a lot like being an operator - you know another when you see them, whether they are in uniform/on duty or not.

Just something to consider.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

cyphur wrote:Fanny packs look a little out of place, IMO.
Sorta depends on how you're dressed and where you are. I would look out of place at work with a fanny pack. On the weekend running around doing errands here in Galveston I would look like any other geeky tourist. Then again someone 25 years younger than myself at a nearby mall with a fanny pack might seem out of place.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Have you thought about a tiny bit dressier up, rather than dressing down?
http://tinyurl.com/33dzsn
I'm probably going to go with the Fire Hose or Twill, and a denim jacket.

Their Travel jacket is loaded with hidden pockets. So, are the Travel pants.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

cyphur wrote:its a lot like being an operator
How can you tell, just by looking, that someone worked with telephones?
man, that's amazing.
:lol:

srsly, good luck with your fanny pack. if it works for you, go on with yer bad self.

stroo

Post by stroo »

I don't carry in a fanny pack but have heard repeatedly this idea the BGs will make you if you carry one. I have repeatedly asked if anyone had ever heard of anyone being targeted by a BG because they were wearing a fanny pack. Moreover I have done google and yahoo searches. In all, I can find no evidence that any BG has ever targeted anyone because they were wearing a fanny pack. This is one of those internet myths.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”