New hand made holster

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
texas red
Posts in topic: 4

New hand made holster

Post by texas red »

]I haven't posted in a while but I've been back reading the forum lately and thought I'd post tonight.
I recently sold a Taurus PolyProtector 605 .357 snub nose. It was lightweight as you can imagine but also kicked like a mule. In fact, it was the only gun I've ever shot that actually hurt. I had been casually looking for some thing to replace it with for CC and thought I'd go back to a Keltec PF-9

I got it the other day from buds guns from my FFL and the next thing was to find a holster.
I've made several before and each time you get to know a little better what you want.

I had been looking online and had seen the web page that showed how the guy made the holster for Russel Crowe in the movie "3:10 to Yuma". I liked the worn rusty gray look so I thought I'd give it a try without the tooling

Here's the inspiration http://www.willghormley-maker.com/MakingHOGRig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's my rendition. Not done yet. Still have to attach the star and put something on the back so it won't scratch the gun. Overall I am happy. It took a lot of patience and reapplying to get it how I wanted it. I may still go over it some more

I didn't want to do the whole rusty barrel thing like the Russel Crowe holster so I read that you could mix rubbing alcohol with a little black dye. It makes it grayish and much thinner so that you can apply several coats. I also sanded the high spots to give it a worn look.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by texas red on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springfield 1911A1
Taurus 24/7 SS 9MM
Kel-Tec P3AT
Western Auto 12 ga.

Topic author
texas red

Re: New hand made holster

Post by texas red »

More pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Springfield 1911A1
Taurus 24/7 SS 9MM
Kel-Tec P3AT
Western Auto 12 ga.

Paul's Shield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paul's Shield »

Very good Job. Those look great
"Just put that hammer down and give it h3ll" - Jerry Reid

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Very nice.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I have never tried leather working. It seems like something I would enjoy, however.

How does one get started in this hobby? For example, when I first started handloading, I read the classic book "The ABC's of Reloading". Are books or videos one way to start with leather? Recommendations?
texas red wrote:]Here's the inspiration http://www.willghormley-maker.com/MakingHOGRig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just lost an hour of my life on his website! :smilelol5: :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Lionman13

Post by Lionman13 »

That is awesome. I wish I knew how to make holsters. I used to make glasses, but leather and kydex work is an art form.

Topic author
texas red

Post by texas red »

This is a great tutorial. It mostly takes some imagination and several attempts to get it right

http://www.jdlawhon.com/tutorial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't have many tools to start with (I still just use an exacto knife for cutting). I don't have a sewing awl (I just use two leather needles and pre drill the holes)

The holster I just made I had seen it online and printed off a copy of it and modified it some and made a pattern out of it. I made one out of partial ostritch but it rode too high so I had to rework it and made this one a little lower

It's an enjoyable hobby and do when I get an itch for it
Springfield 1911A1
Taurus 24/7 SS 9MM
Kel-Tec P3AT
Western Auto 12 ga.

Topic author
texas red

Post by texas red »

Paul's Shield wrote:Very good Job. Those look great

The tan picture is the same as the finished one. Just undyed
Springfield 1911A1
Taurus 24/7 SS 9MM
Kel-Tec P3AT
Western Auto 12 ga.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I like that and carry the same gun... :thumbs2:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jumping Frog wrote:I have never tried leather working. It seems like something I would enjoy, however.

How does one get started in this hobby?
http://www.AdamsLeatherworks.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some excellent tutorial videos and he offers patters for various styles of holsters. The aren't fee, but they are cheap.

I enjoy making holsters, but I haven't done so in many years. I just don't have time. I started doing it long before many of the current styles of holsters were available. In truth, there are only about 3 different basic designs: pancake, Bruce Nelson type and true scabbards (almost never seen anymore).

Chas.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Jumping Frog wrote:I have never tried leather working. It seems like something I would enjoy, however.

How does one get started in this hobby? For example, when I first started handloading, I read the classic book "The ABC's of Reloading". Are books or videos one way to start with leather? Recommendations?
texas red wrote:]Here's the inspiration http://www.willghormley-maker.com/MakingHOGRig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just lost an hour of my life on his website! :smilelol5: :thumbs2:
I just watched some youtube videos. Go to Tandy Leather in N Dallas. the guys there are very helpful. I think they even have free classes on some nights.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”