Pocket Magazine Carrier Reviews

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TEA
Posts in topic: 2

Pocket Magazine Carrier Reviews

Post by TEA »

I'm thinking about getting a pocket magazine carrier in order to carry a spare magazine for my 1911 in my front pocket. For those of you with more ccw experience than me, what recommendations to you have? What works? What doesn't work?

Thanks in advance (TIA)

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Pocket Magazine Carrier Reviews

Post by Excaliber »

TEA wrote:I'm thinking about getting a pocket magazine carrier in order to carry a spare magazine for my 1911 in my front pocket. For those of you with more ccw experience than me, what recommendations to you have? What works? What doesn't work?

Thanks in advance (TIA)
When I put a 1911 magazine in a pocket, I don't use a carrier.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Excaliber wrote:
TEA wrote:I'm thinking about getting a pocket magazine carrier in order to carry a spare magazine for my 1911 in my front pocket. For those of you with more ccw experience than me, what recommendations to you have? What works? What doesn't work?

Thanks in advance (TIA)
Don't you get beau coup lint in your mag and on your rounds?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

VMI77 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Thanks in advance (TIA)
Actually, no. The little bit that accumulates every now and then wipes off very easily.

That may be more a function of the type of fabric in my preferred pants than anything else.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
TEA

Post by TEA »

Do you have a problem with the corners of your magazines printing inside your pocket?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Excaliber wrote:
VMI77 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

Thanks in advance (TIA)
Actually, no. The little bit that accumulates every now and then wipes off very easily.

That may be more a function of the type of fabric in my preferred pants than anything else.
Probably. I get a lot of lint in mine, even on the cylinder of a snubbie when I carry it in a pocket holster. I see it more with jeans than with say, Khaki slacks.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

TEA wrote:Do you have a problem with the corners of your magazines printing inside your pocket?
No.

I put it into the left side pocket with a Streamlight P2L flashlight which is larger in diameter than the magazine is thick and it breaks up the outline of the magazine. You can see the round imprint of the flashlight, but that's not a worry.
Excaliber

remington79
Posts in topic: 1

Post by remington79 »

I only use a belt mounted mag holder. That way I don't have to worry about getting lint in my mags. I also don't have to worry about my mag moving around or shifting so the bullets are facing the wrong way. I also prefer a mag pouch not only because your mag is in the same spot and orientation every time but also because its easier to reload. It's easier to get your mag from your belt than from in your pocket. This is especially true if you are crouching down or if you fell on the ground in an awkward position and can't get up. Another reason I don't pocket carry mags or pistols is I put everything in my front pockets. This means wallet, phone, carmex, change, keys, etc. You can cut the back pocket off of my pants and I wouldn't miss them. Plus you don't have to worry about pick pockets.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

My preference is a Remora mag holder in my weak side rear pocket. It keeps the lint from accumulating, it breaks up the shape of the mag, and it pads my body from the metal edges of the magazine. With my SP 2022 or with my SCCY, I can hold one mag in a Remora. My wife, however, can fit two of her PK380 mags side by side (long ways) in one Remora mag holder.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

remington79 wrote:I only use a belt mounted mag holder. That way I don't have to worry about getting lint in my mags. I also don't have to worry about my mag moving around or shifting so the bullets are facing the wrong way. I also prefer a mag pouch not only because your mag is in the same spot and orientation every time but also because its easier to reload. It's easier to get your mag from your belt than from in your pocket. This is especially true if you are crouching down or if you fell on the ground in an awkward position and can't get up. Another reason I don't pocket carry mags or pistols is I put everything in my front pockets. This means wallet, phone, carmex, change, keys, etc. You can cut the back pocket off of my pants and I wouldn't miss them. Plus you don't have to worry about pick pockets.
I also use a belt mounted mag carrier most of the time for the reasons you cite. I only put a mag in a pocket when I'm not wearing an outer covering garment and I'm using a pocket holster or another rig concealed under a tucked shirt (primarily in the summer with shorts and a T shirt).

I've also used a neoprene ankle mag carrier from Galco at times. It's comfortable and conceals very well, but it's obviously considerably slower to access than either belt pouch or pocket carry.
Excaliber

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”