New Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 6

Update after a year

Post by Scott B. »

After a year, my Cloak Tuck 2.0 is about ready for the bin. The holster's problems are explained by the introduction of Alien Gear's Cloak Tuck 3.0.

The 3.0 has a "stainless spring-steel band that acts as a sturdy backbone to the iwb holster" versus whatever material the 2.0 used that turns out to be crap.

I've ordered a new OWB "Gladiator" holster from Comp-Tac and am looking at other IWB options.

Bottom line. The Alien Gear product was good for the purchase price but not good for the long term, IMHO, YMMV.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Update after a year

Post by striker55 »

Scott B. wrote:After a year, my Cloak Tuck 2.0 is about ready for the bin. The holster's problems are explained by the introduction of Alien Gear's Cloak Tuck 3.0.

The 3.0 has a "stainless spring-steel band that acts as a sturdy backbone to the iwb holster" versus whatever material the 2.0 used that turns out to be crap.

I've ordered a new OWB "Gladiator" holster from Comp-Tac and am looking at other IWB options.

Bottom line. The Alien Gear product was good for the purchase price but not good for the long term, IMHO, YMMV.
Doesn't the holster come with a lifetime warranty?

Scott B.

Re: New Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0

Post by Scott B. »

It does. I've thought about returning it, perhaps for a 3.0 replacement - meh. For this particular product, I think I'm calling it lesson learned and moving on.

I've still got an Alien Gear OWB holster that's holding up just fine.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

I mentioned my concern about this on page one of this thread when I first received my holster. My concern was not received well by some.

I hate this happened to you, but it is exactly what I was afraid of. As of right now mine is still holding up, but it is not EDC. I use it about twice a month.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

For the money, I got good use out of it. Also learned what I like and don't like in a holster for pretty cheap.

The 3.0 may be the cat's meow, but I'll let others determine that.

harv418

Post by harv418 »

I am in the process of returning my 2.0 backing due to the plastic liner breaking. I sent a note to AG on Thursday evening about 8:00 Central. By 7:00 AM Central on Friday, I had a return email with 2 options:
1. Free replacement of my 2.0 backing 0r
2. and $11 upgrade to the 3.0 backing.

I called them on Monday, and I have already received notification that my order is in work.

Customer Service is spot on where it needs to be. Not only are they sending my a 3.0 backing, but an additional Hardware Kit with it.

For those that say it closes, it is not the molded plastic that gives, it is the backing... My only complaint about the holster is that it is that flexible. However, the fact that it is not hot and getting slimy when I sweat makes that a huge plus for me as well.

I would give them a call and see about replacing your Cloak 2 backing...
Robert Harvey
Friendswood, TX

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Ah, thanks for the info. Think I'll do the same. I may not use it for EDC, but it would be nice to have a usable alternative in the drawer.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Thanks to Robert's suggestion, I called and got the upgraded 3.0 backing on warranty.

It's a significant improvement over the 2.0 product. The backing's face material is sturdier and has better grip, while the body side has been made more comfortable by covering the shell nuts that were previously exposed. The internal aluminum support more than makes up for whatever they were using in 2.0.

I swapped out my G26, G19, and 5" 1911 shells onto the new backing with no issue.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I love mine. I have a 2.0 for my M&P shield and my Taurus 809. Can carry both all day very comfortably. You won't be disappointed, I want to try the 3.0 now...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

carlson1 wrote:
WinoVeritas wrote:"Kydex" is like "Kleenex" in usage - whatever AlienGear is using I've no doubt it is a 0.093" thick form of moldable thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride same as Kydex. The precision of the AG molding is outstanding from my experience with their holster versus others of the same style.
I don't know how thick it is, but I do know it does not hold open like the Kydex on a Comp Tac or even the PHLSTER holsters. It wants to close when I remove the pistol which makes reholstering a little difficult.
That is exactly the issue I had with one of their originals. It is very comfortable and still use it every once in a while but really didn't like the hard re-holstering. I admit it would be my fault. Have very narrow hips so have to keep my belt tighter than most so they don't slip too low.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”