Galco King-Tuk can go pound sand

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 2

Galco King-Tuk can go pound sand

Post by 1s1k52 »

I was placed into a position (suit and tie) today to force me to open carry with a pistol I normally don't carry. It was dropped on me yesterday afternoon so I only had time to run to Cabelas to get a holster that looked more "business".

So all they had that fit my duty gun fitting this was a the above said holster. It is terrible. It has taken my gun out of battery several times when moving YET is a nightmare to draw from. It has no retention screws to adjust. I almost have to hold the holster down with my left hand and pull my gun all at the same time.

If anyone uses this holster more power to you. This thing is going back ASAP.
(insert clever signature here)

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Galco King-Tuk can go pound sand

Post by EEllis »

If it is the King Tuk it's a hybrid holster and like anything with leather there is a bit of a break in period. If I remember right having a good belt makes a pretty big difference also by keeping the hoster stable and easier to draw from. Then there is getting the positioning correct because you can adjust the positioning and cant of the gun by moving the clips. The standard positioning isn't always ideal for every gun and person straight out of the box. Not saying you should like it but just because it didn't work when you threw it on and did nothing else with it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

EEllis wrote:If it is the King Tuk it's a hybrid holster and like anything with leather there is a bit of a break in period. If I remember right having a good belt makes a pretty big difference also by keeping the hoster stable and easier to draw from. Then there is getting the positioning correct because you can adjust the positioning and cant of the gun by moving the clips. The standard positioning isn't always ideal for every gun and person straight out of the box. Not saying you should like it but just because it didn't work when you threw it on and did nothing else with it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.
Yet I have not heard those types of complaints against a Comp-Tac Minotaur or a Crossbreed's Supertuck. It may simply be the Galco copycat design doesn't quite cut the mustard. :lol:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

I've heard from some people that love the King Tuk. I use the gear hybrid IWB http://www.shtfgear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my LC9s and love it, but it did take a while to break in and for me to experiment with the cant and ride height. I tried the Alien Gear as well and it didn't suit me. Great quality and excellent customer service, but the extra thick kydex didn't fit my body very well.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

1s1k52 wrote:I was placed into a position (suit and tie) today to force me to open carry with a pistol I normally don't carry. It was dropped on me yesterday afternoon so I only had time to run to Cabelas to get a holster that looked more "business".
I do not understand the part about being forced to OC. Or what exactly was "dropped" on you? I guess it was the wardrobe requirement and you had to hurriedly get an IWB holster?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Are you sure you bought the holster for the right firearm? I use that same holster and it works great for me. I too wonder why you had to open carry. Wear the holster for a day or two and see if that fixes your problem.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Jumping Frog wrote:
EEllis wrote:If it is the King Tuk it's a hybrid holster and like anything with leather there is a bit of a break in period. If I remember right having a good belt makes a pretty big difference also by keeping the hoster stable and easier to draw from. Then there is getting the positioning correct because you can adjust the positioning and cant of the gun by moving the clips. The standard positioning isn't always ideal for every gun and person straight out of the box. Not saying you should like it but just because it didn't work when you threw it on and did nothing else with it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.
Yet I have not heard those types of complaints against a Comp-Tac Minotaur or a Crossbreed's Supertuck. It may simply be the Galco copycat design doesn't quite cut the mustard. :lol:
Pick any product and there will be complaints no matter the quality. If you haven't heard complaints about other holsters it's just because you haven't looked.You'll find that the ratings for both types of holsters on Amazon, which has about the largest and most active feedback, are very good and shockingly close as are most of the other quality manufactures. Lets face it, it's almost the exact same design using the same quality of materials for the most part. There just isn't a big difference. Heck one can be better for one brand of gun and a different one may be better for another. You find one you like and go with it but there just isn't a big difference.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

1s1k52,

What make and model of gun wouldn't fit the holster?

Perhaps, with this information, others with the same gun can avoid what you've gone through.

I'm assuming it's not a custom made, but a stock gun...?

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Any holster that has a 100% satisfaction rating, no complaints or detractors, is a holster that exists only in the gun rags, because it's not on the market.

Like pistols themselves, the absolute best holster for one person will simply not work at all for another.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Javier730 wrote:Are you sure you bought the holster for the right firearm? I use that same holster and it works great for me. I too wonder why you had to open carry. Wear the holster for a day or two and see if that fixes your problem.
If I am not mistaken he is a LEO He had to wear a suit so maybe court who knows, but that is not the point I think he was making it was the holster.

I do agree it sometimes takes awhile breaking in a holster.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I've got two of the King-Tuk's and they're my favorite by far. It did take about 4-5 days for everything to break in well, and you won't be happy with it if your first time wearing it was with a thin dress belt.

It might not be your cup of tea, but If I were you I'd give it a decent shot before getting rid of it. I'd wear it for a week. I've tried to do that with every holster I've tried, unless I just felt it was unsafe.

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 1s1k52 »

Let me see if I can knock a lot of these out with one post instead of quoting everyone. I bought it for my duty issue sig 226 to wear with a suit and tie (BLAH). I have used many holsters like it. FYI this is my second king tuk to try out. I have used a desantis version, a crossbreed, and a no name version of the same hyrbid. I normally don't even post anything negative about anything to be honest i have better things to do with my time BUT i was very blown away that a 70.00 holster had that many issues. I did wear it off and on for a week FYI. To those of you who have them and have great luck more power to you. The belt wasn't the issue fyi.
(insert clever signature here)

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

1s1k52 wrote:Let me see if I can knock a lot of these out with one post instead of quoting everyone. I bought it for my duty issue sig 226 to wear with a suit and tie (BLAH). I have used many holsters like it. FYI this is my second king tuk to try out. I have used a desantis version, a crossbreed, and a no name version of the same hyrbid. I normally don't even post anything negative about anything to be honest i have better things to do with my time BUT i was very blown away that a 70.00 holster had that many issues. I did wear it off and on for a week FYI. To those of you who have them and have great luck more power to you. The belt wasn't the issue fyi.
The only thing you seemed to complain about is that it was too tight. These types of holsters do loosen up with time so that is the major reason everybody seemed to say give it more time. If you did so and it still didn't work then fine. I do know that they did have an issue with a molding for one model of a gun and had to create a new on because of fit. maybe yours has some issue like that but I would be surprised because the 226 would be pretty popular and I'm sure they would of heard real quick if there was a problem. Personally I think it takes several days of long wear to really start breaking in one of these types of holsters and gross as it may sound if you don't sweat them in then it takes even longer. But to each there own.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”