Open Carry In Car.

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Open Carry In Car.

Post by The Wall »

I was just thinking tonight how it can be uncomfortable to carry while driving in your car. If you remove your gun it has to be concealed somewhere in the car which can also be a problem. At least if you want it where it's easy to get to from the drivers seat. With open carry it should be easier to find a place that will make for easy access without the worry it might be seen. Won't have to be a contortionist either, trying to get the gun back into your holster without someone seeing it. Might be installing one of those magnet gun holders on my dash. :lol: Just kidding! Just going to have to make sure I don't forget it in the car.

You all have any good ideas on this?

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Open Carry In Car.

Post by Beiruty »

I carry while driving, try so called appendix carry or at 1-2 O'clock. Removing your concealed carry and storing it somewhere holstered whether concealed or not would not be a problem after 1/1/2016.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Oddly enough, I carry a 3" 1911 around 3 o'clock IWB and I have zero problems driving with it on. I'm not going to win any speed records with the draw from there, but no complaints about comfort.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I make a habit of never leaving anything in visible sight in my car when it is parked. Not only no packages or items that invite a break-in, I don't even leave trash in view. Looking through the windows, the car looks like it just left a used car lot or a rental car lot.

That is why I am not interested in mounting a holster inside the car. I do not want an empty holster to invite a break-in.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:I make a habit of never leaving anything in visible sight in my car when it is parked. Not only no packages or items that invite a break-in, I don't even leave trash in view. Looking through the windows, the car looks like it just left a used car lot or a rental car lot.

That is why I am not interested in mounting a holster inside the car. I do not want an empty holster to invite a break-in.
:iagree:
I'm also not convinced that the firearm can be visible off body. I believe the intent of the bill when it states belt holster or shoulder holster is that it is being worn on the body. I also believe this is the way LEO will interpret the bill.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

jmra wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:I make a habit of never leaving anything in visible sight in my car when it is parked. Not only no packages or items that invite a break-in, I don't even leave trash in view. Looking through the windows, the car looks like it just left a used car lot or a rental car lot.

I'm also not convinced that the firearm can be visible off body. I believe the intent of the bill when it states belt holster or shoulder holster is that it is being worn on the body. I also believe this is the way LEO will interpret the bill.
In Concealed carry law, see 46.035, there is "on or about the license holder's person". Since while OC you are still under CHL laws, that should apply.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Beiruty wrote:
jmra wrote:

In Concealed carry law, see 46.035, there is "on or about the license holder's person". Since while OC you are still under CHL laws, that should apply.
I'll let you be the test case. "Should apply" isn't good enough for me. My weapon will stay concealed in the car when not on my body.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Beiruty wrote:I carry while driving, try so called appendix carry or at 1-2 O'clock. Removing your concealed carry and storing it somewhere holstered whether concealed or not would not be a problem after 1/1/2016.
The problem I see is that the bill says in a belt or shoulder holster. Although it does not say the holster has to be attached to your body (at least from what I have seen), I think the intent was there and LEO may see it the same way.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I see no issues in comfort in conceal carrying in a car, IWB about 4:00 with Crossbreed and full size M&P

I would only assume open carry would be more comfortable

I guess then, I don't see the issue here???
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Aggie_engr »

Maybe a letter to dps or AG is in order? If it turns out this is not the intent of the open carry bill, would there be enough interest to expand licensed open carry in your vehicle while not on or about your person? I would prefer the ability to legally mount a holster to my car console.

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

Teamless wrote:I see no issues in comfort in conceal carrying in a car, IWB about 4:00 with Crossbreed and full size M&P

I would only assume open carry would be more comfortable

I guess then, I don't see the issue here???
For me it's all about comfort and accessibility. I conceal carry at the 4:30 postition so for a drive over about 45min I have to stow the gun in a concealed location, usually in a box at my feet or the center console. After open carry becomes legal, leaving the gun on my person at 3:00 the gun + holster would be covered by my seatbelt thus decreasing accessibility. For my purpose it would be optimal to have a holster mounted to the side of the transmission tunnel for those long car rides.

For those who do not wish to leave behind an empty holster I would think it's possible to devise a rig that can go directly from your belt to your choice of mounting location so that only one holster is necessary.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If I don't want to carry on my body in the car, I use a Remora wedged between my seat and console or the map pocket in my door. Both are concealed and easily accessible. No big deal.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

mojo84 wrote:If I don't want to carry on my body in the car, I use a Remora wedged between my seat and console or the map pocket in my door. Both are concealed and easily accessible. No big deal.
Interesting concept Mojo, but would an LEO consider this concealed if you were stopped? Say he takes a generous lean inside your window and spots it? For other drivers on the road I agree it would be considered concealed as it would be impossible for someone to see it.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Aggie_engr wrote:
mojo84 wrote:If I don't want to carry on my body in the car, I use a Remora wedged between my seat and console or the map pocket in my door. Both are concealed and easily accessible. No big deal.
Interesting concept Mojo, but would an LEO consider this concealed if you were stopped? Say he takes a generous lean inside your window and spots it? For other drivers on the road I agree it would be considered concealed as it would be impossible for someone to see it.
If he has to lean in to see it, then it is concealed. However, if I'm in the car, my leg covers it enough here Would have to crawl into the car and on top of me to see it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

mojo84 wrote:
Aggie_engr wrote:
If he has to lean in to see it, then it is concealed. However, if I'm in the car, my leg covers it enough here Would have to crawl into the car and on top of me to see it.
Just picturing that makes me "rlol" !!!

ETA point taken though.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”