Separate gun belt?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Separate gun belt?

Post by mojo84 »

Anyone considered carrying their weapon on a separate belt similar to how some of the Texas Rangers wear theirs? My thinking is that it may be easier to remove the rig when necessary and some of the rigs are quite nice looking. Being a lefty, it's not always easy or convenient to remove my OWB holster in the car for a quick jaunt into the post office or other off limits place.

The intent is not to look like a ranger but if they do it, there may be a reason that is valid for us non-leos.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Separate gun belt?

Post by WildBill »

I never thought about a separate belt. Easy removal of the holster is why I use a paddle holster.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I haven't tried a good paddle holster. I borrowed my son's fobus and it was too floppy and didn't hold tight to my body.

I do like the idea of a paddle holster for the easy on and easy off.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:I haven't tried a good paddle holster. I borrowed my son's fobus and it was too floppy and didn't hold tight to my body.

I do like the idea of a paddle holster for the easy on and easy off.
I bought a Fobus as a car holster because it was cheap. [Didn't want to leave the leather in the heat]
I also have two Kramer Leather M&P holsters which are very nice.
One is for my Colt Detective Special and one for my Beretta PX-4 SC.
I can't say they hold the gun tight to the body, as a pancake style, but they are what I have been using for 4+ years.
I don't have any plans to change.
NRA Endowment Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Every time I see one of those photos, I feel sorry for all those LEOs who have to wear those goofy "Smokey Bear" suits.

The Ranger garb is the most dignified, the most professional, of any out there,
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

JALLEN wrote:Every time I see one of those photos, I feel sorry for all those LEOs who have to wear those goofy "Smokey Bear" suits.

I agree jallen. I've tried to find what brand of pants they like. My Dockers don't look as good with boots.

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

JALLEN wrote:Every time I see one of those photos, I feel sorry for all those LEOs who have to wear those goofy "Smokey Bear" suits.

Youre right. Understated & class.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

The wikipedia article says:
Modern-day Rangers (as well as their predecessors) do not have a prescribed uniform, per se, although the State of Texas does provide guidelines as to appropriate Ranger attire, including a requirement that Rangers wear clothing that is western in nature. Currently, the favored attire includes white shirt and tie, khaki/tan or gray trousers, light-colored western hat, "ranger" belt, and cowboy boots. Historically, according to pictorial evidence, Rangers wore whatever clothes they could afford or muster, which were usually worn out from heavy use. While Rangers still pay for their clothing today, they receive an initial stipend to offset some of the costs of boots, gunbelts and hats.
The few I have seen in person have always been impressively dignified and appropriate.

I bet the belts in that picture set him pay a month's pay or close.
Last edited by JALLEN on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

WildBill wrote:I never thought about a separate belt. Easy removal of the holster is why I use a paddle holster.
:iagree:
:txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

oljames3 wrote:
WildBill wrote:I never thought about a separate belt. Easy removal of the holster is why I use a paddle holster.
:iagree:
:txflag:

But, is a paddle holster legal belt holster for open carry?

:biggrinjester:
:reddevil That's for another thread.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle Holster and I don't find it to be easy off. It is easy on just not off for me. It does hold the weapon close and tighter than any other paddle holster I have ever tried.

I would not want to push the limit on if it was a belt holster or not especially with this younger generation of LEO's. It does come with a belt loop as well as what they call a "clip on belt loop." Just haven't tried it yet.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OlBill »

A holster on the Ranger's pants belt and take off the badge. Dress like that and them 30.07 signs would all be down by Easter.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

OlBill wrote:A holster on the Ranger's pants belt and take off the badge. Dress like that and them 30.07 signs would all be down by Easter.
Yep, but ya gotta have the hat.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OlBill »

JALLEN wrote:
OlBill wrote:A holster on the Ranger's pants belt and take off the badge. Dress like that and them 30.07 signs would all be down by Easter.
I like mine better. :txflag:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

OlBill wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
I like mine better. :txflag:
No telling what yours is like, but that hat is an age old symbol, and even a guarantee of sorts, universally recognized, that the wearer is an unalloyed "Good Guy!"

Truth, Justice, the American Way, dependable, responsible, friendly, courteous to strangers, protective of women and children, helpful to the downtrodden, loyal, hard working, undaunted by adversity, a Real Texan!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”