Fobus Paddle Holsters

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Fobus Paddle Holsters

Post by jb2012 »

I used to resent paddle holsters because they push the gun too far off of your body but I am kind of warming up to them with the fobus paddle holsters. What is everyone's opinion on them? Also I finally have a pretty nice gun that I'd like to take care of (not that I don't take care of any of my guns) and am worried about the plastic disturbing the finish (stainless btw if that means anything).

The Annoyed Man

Re: Fobus Paddle Holsters

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have several Fobus holsters, although the the only one I use much is for a G43. I've never had one damage the finish on a gun, but like I said, I don't use them much. There was a YouTube video posted here recently that demonstrated how disturbingly easy it is to rip a gun off someone's hip by separating the holster from the paddle in a quick move.

Here it is:

I communicated with the video maker. The holster in the video is a Fobus.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by uthornsfan »

I replaced the rivets in my fobus holster. I think it would be incredibly difficult to do that, even on an unmodified one.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 3

Post by VMI77 »

I have Serpas. I had the same concern so prior to OC being passed I took the paddle off and replaced it with the belt attachment which brings the gun in a little closer. Since OC passed I'm less concerned with printing so I'm considering putting the paddle back on. I had been using them infrequently in the past but since my company banned OC and CC last month I've been using one with my G17.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have several Fobus holsters, although the the only one I use much is for a G43. I've never had one damage the finish on a gun, but like I said, I don't use them much. There was a YouTube video posted here recently that demonstrated how disturbingly easy it is to rip a gun off someone's hip by separating the holster from the paddle in a quick move.

I communicated with the video maker. The holster in the video is a Fobus.
I don't think that will work with a Serpa...at least not that easily. The paddle or belt attachment is attached with three screws. Then again, I'm not going to use it for OC.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

well hmm... should I be my own test dummy and buy one and see if I like it?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote:well hmm... should I be my own test dummy and buy one and see if I like it?
Up to you. I'm not advising against it. Like I said, I rarely use my other Fobus holsters anymore, except the one for my G43, which I use for quick trips to the store and such. I maintain that the best protection against having the holster ripped apart like that is good situational awareness.
uthornsfan wrote:I replaced the rivets in my fobus holster. I think it would be incredibly difficult to do that, even on an unmodified one.
Not being very knowledgable myself about riveting, how did you do that?
VMI77 wrote:I have Serpas. I had the same concern so prior to OC being passed I took the paddle off and replaced it with the belt attachment which brings the gun in a little closer. Since OC passed I'm less concerned with printing so I'm considering putting the paddle back on. I had been using them infrequently in the past but since my company banned OC and CC last month I've been using one with my G17.
My Safariland paddle holster came with a similar setup so I can swap out the paddle for belt loops. I haven't tried it that way yet, simply because I regard the paddle as a convenience feature, and if I want a belt holster, I have others which might be better suited for that task.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Unocat
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Unocat »

I have a Fobus for a Sig P239 and LCR. They are flimsy especially on a heavier pistol. Works OK for the LCR and with a short barrel it doesn't protrude below the shirt/jacket line. However, They now serve as holders rather than holsters... I keep the LCR one in the car as a backup in case I want to carry my car revolver out into the world.

I would not recommend them. There are simple paddle holsters that are about the same price but better quality,; the Bianchi 7500 series comes to mind.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I haven't tried it that way yet, simply because I regard the paddle as a convenience feature, and if I want a belt holster, I have others which might be better suited for that task.
I regard it the same way which is why I will probably switch back. I used the belt loop to reduce printing, but now that I can't carry at work and OC is the law there are fewer times when I'll be concerned about being discreet.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”