Holster color coordination

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
hovercat
Posts in topic: 2

Holster color coordination

Post by hovercat »

I ask this in all seriousness, having been born without fashion sense.
When OC, should the holster match your other leather? Black holster with black dress shoes, brown with the brown everyday work boots?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Holster color coordination

Post by Richbirdhunter »

There has been some talk here about dressing the part. So I'd yes dress properly to make yourself more inviting to other people.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

Would you wear shoes that didn't match? A belt that didn't match your shoes? Black shoes and belt with a brown suit?

Of course not!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

randy634

Post by randy634 »

I say yes. But that's me. If cc, no worries.
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Periodically shopping with the wife, she sees something she wants to try on and sez "hold my purse". To which I have responded in the past "I don't wanna, it doesn't match my boots and belt and people will think I CAN'T ACCESSORIZE". And she rolls her eyes and shoves the purse into my hands.
Which means that if I ever carry with non-matching gear, I KNOW I will NEVER hear the end of it from her.
You all consider yourselves warned........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Breny414

Post by Breny414 »

I guess you need two of these... one black and one brown (or cherry)

see thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=82044

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

I'll admit I haven't always been able to make the cover of GCQ (Gentlman's Carry Quarterly) But I did order a Desantis belt to match my holster just in case there is anyone from Forbes best/Worst dressed carriers list watching :nono:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I have only had my LTC for one year and I have a belt and a holster to match my shoes. I do not do it for others, too see or comment. I do it because I was taught to present myself in a nice way. Plus, if my wife can have countless amouts of shoes and only wants to shoot American Eagle 124 gr. I can at least have a few good belts and holsters.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Just as I predicted, once the new of OC wears off...... :roll:

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

hmmm, so does this mean that the holster needs to match the belt or the gun? I think you would want the leathers to match, but then would the brown holster look right with a black gun? I'm not sure....I think you need a brown gun, or at least brown grips....I think you're gonna need a new gun :shock:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Funny thing you ask...

I actually had one of those debates in my own head not too long ago..."You're not going to wear a Kydex mag pouch with a leather holster are you?"

The discussion was tongue-in-cheek....but I thought about it for about 5 more seconds as I changed mag pouches, and realized that I DO indeed coordinate my carry gear, even though I don't really think about it.

So here's my official "Dress (around a gun) for Success:"

Belt should go with the shoes.

Accessories (on the belt) don't have to match the belt, but they do need to match each other. Matching the holster to the mag pouch is like matching studs to cuff-links -- not strictly necessary, but adds an element of class and coordination, and it's my preference.

OWB: Leather holster with matching leather mag pouch(es). Holster doesn't need to match the belt.
OWB: Kydex holster with Kydex mag pouches. My Kydex rigs are all black, so again, no need to match the belt.
IWB: Either Kydex or leather mag pouch(es) are appropriate, since I don't have a visible holster to match. Again, no requirement to match the belt--but if they do, all the better. I wouldn't buy a mag pouch in both black and brown, just for the "matching" but it's not a bad bonus.

I also tend to buy a lot of black holsters, given the choice. Never gave any thought to why, except that I can dye/polish scuffs in black more easily than "some" shade of brown, and black will always match black.

Maybe it's because I'm more fashion conscious than I realize. Of course, I was raised by the Avon lady....some of that must have rubbed off on me.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Hey...I learned just this week that the right accessories are ever so important, especially in shooting sports.

My 7 year old daughter received a Boyert gift card from her uncle for Christmas - $50 to be spent on anything she desires at her favorite shooting range.

So there we were in the store. Kids shoot free anyway, so no need to spend it on that. Her ammo can is full of loose pack .22, so no need to buy more of that for her right now. So...off the the retail store side of the business. We were helped by a very friendly lady who walked my daughter all around the store, looking for the right thing to buy with the $50 that were burning a hole in her pocket. When they found it, they brought it to me for approval.
Me - "But you've already got a pink set of ears."
Girl - "Yes, Daddy, those are light pink, to match my Crickett. But my Ruger is hot pink, so I need a hot pink set of ears to wear with it. You've got to accessorize properly!"
So, now we still have $30 left on the card after paying for the new accessory. Maybe I can talk her into saving the remainder for some pink furniture for the AR I plan to build her this year.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Glockedandlocked

Post by Glockedandlocked »

I must be OCD, all my gear is black so it all matches.

But I think it is from wearing a duty belt all day everyday, black gear just looks right to me and it's the easiest to find.

I think if you are trying to present a professional appearance or at least a non threatening one having your gear look the part is essential.

I hate Mondays.... uniforms are more comfortable and practical.

plain clothes and off duty gear-

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

It seems as if we are overlooking something that is of major importance. When coordinating your holster with your belt and shoes, please make sure it does not clash with the pistol. There is nothing worse than mismatching pistol and holster colors. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Kydex comes in a number of colors nowadays, and orange or lime green will coordinate about equally well with anything... :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”