Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Re: I Need A New EDC Knife

Post by joe817 »

GlockShooter56 wrote:
joe817 wrote:
GlockShooter56 wrote:I carry a Benchmade Auto Presidio, and it is one of the sturdiest knives I've ever owned. I've compared it to the HK Benchmade line, and for me the additional price is well worth the upgrade in quality. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade- ... -Axis--165
Good looking knife! Thanks for posting. It appears that it is ambidextrous. Is it?

As I'm left handed like WildBill & SRO1911, I feel my choices are somewhat limited. And if it's ambi, then you have my attention! :tiphat:
It sure is. Controls are ambi, and clip can be attached to either side depending on preference. I have treated mine like the hard-use tool that it is for years, and it hasn't let me down once. :cheers2:
Thanks GlockShooter56.....I think. :lol: Looks like I'm gonna have to keep saving my pennies, nickels & dimes for that one. TODAY, I'm leaning towards that one. :cool:

:cheers2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Skiprr wrote:IMHO I recommend you understand your typical carry kit and skillset before you choose a knife.

Not to misunderstand, I think EVERYBODY should carry a blade.

I'm an old guy. I grew up in the Philippines and studied Arnis de Mano and Silat from age 12.

I have two carry knives: one a fixed-blade designed expressly for reverse-edge application, and another a high-end Kershaw assisted-opener that can be deployed the same way.

Skillset first, tool second.
My generation (and no doubt yours) grew up where boys carried a pocket knife (of some form) as just an everyday tool. I wouldn't dream of being without one. My formal edged weapons training is also 'Arnis' (stick as well) and Silat/Kali.

I have found that a good number of folding knives can be discretely opened into a reverse grip instead of transitioning. If you carry your knife 'tip down' and employ a ring finger opening technique... it is easy to do. Assisted knives (which is what I carry) aid greatly. The knife ends up 'hidden' (palmed) in a reverse grip.

Now before everyone piles on here...pointing out the pro's and con's of a reverse grip, let me say that both 'Skiprr' and I are both aware, thank you.

"Skillset first, tool second"
Absolutely. With good skillsets, tools might end up being whatever is around you.

I won't suggest an EDC knife for the OP, too many things to be considered and most of us will try 3-4 knives before finding something that best fills the bill. Instead, I will only offer encouragement that HE and others seek out something that you can legally carry on a daily basis.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

flintknapper wrote:I won't suggest an EDC knife for the OP, too many things to be considered and most of us will try 3-4 knives before finding something that best fills the bill. Instead, I will only offer encouragement that HE and others seek out something that you can legally carry on a daily basis.
Agreed. Cary comfort and ease of access and production (being able to bring the blade into play) are also considerations. And, just like a firearm, where you decide to carry is an important factor in the eventual selection of an EDC.

Other than as a utility implement (e.g., opening a box, cutting a length of rope, emergency removal of a seatbelt), as a defensive tool I consider the knife as a last resort at extreme close quarters. Clint Smith says your handgun is a tool to fight your way back to the rifle you should never have laid down. That's how I view the relationship of a knife to a handgun. I'm very much right-hand dominant, but that's why I've trained to deploy the knife with my left hand. If I carry the fixed blade, it's IWB in a left-handed appendix position; the folder is typically point-down at the outside of the left, rear pants pocket.
flintknapper wrote:I have found that a good number of folding knives can be discretely opened into a reverse grip instead of transitioning. If you carry your knife 'tip down' and employ a ring finger opening technique... it is easy to do. Assisted knives (which is what I carry) aid greatly. The knife ends up 'hidden' (palmed) in a reverse grip.
The Kershaw Ken Onion Spec Bump that's my EDC folder has been discontinued for several years now--so this isn't a recommendation--but its assisted-opening configuration was one of the reasons I selected it. Link to an image if you want a look: http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/150 ... S1596a.jpg. When closed, it has a ribbed "bump" (part of the reason for the name, as is the wave-shaped bottom of the handle which fits nicely in the palm) on which a little squeezing pressure will deploy the blade. I do that with the outside base of my palm while maintaining a full grip on the handle with all fingers. That's the way I unconsciously open it now, and it gets strange looks from people that haven't seen me open it before. Saw a neighbor down the street a few weeks ago struggling to bundle and tie some trimmed tree limbs by himself, so I volunteered to help. Got a bundle tied and needed to cut the twine; produced the knife as I always do and cut the twine backhanded with the reverse grip. He stared at me a moment, and I just said, "Habit; it's easier for me to open it that way." ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”