Trying to Find a Holster for My New Sig P226 SAO Elite

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Trying to Find a Holster for My New Sig P226 SAO Elite

Post by gregthehand »

I'm having trouble finding an IWB holster that will work with my newest purchase. I just bought a Sig P226 Elite that is SAO (model number NS E26R-9-BSE-SAO). My favorite type of IWB holster is a Comp-Tac CTAC holster but they don't make one for the Sig P226 Elite pistols. When I called Comp-Tac to confirm they stated that the Elite models have different dimensions than the standard P226 pistols so none of there holsters will work.

Does anyone know of someone else that makes a holster comparable to the CTAC that I could check out? I've found other models that are either the hybrid style with the large leather backing or the bulkier kydex style that is comparable to Comp-Tac Flatline holsters http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-wais ... ster-10364. The bulkier kydex holsters just seem like they would poke and pinch me pretty bad. I'd used the hybrid leather/kydex holsters before and they work ok. I just feel like the CTAC holds on to the pistol better.

Any input or tips are appreciated.
Last edited by gregthehand on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Soccerdad1995

Re: Trying to Fine a Holster for My New Sig P226 SAO Elite

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

That's odd about Comp-Tac. I just ordered a holster from them for my 226 X5 which also has different dimensions than the standard 226. They make everything to order and seem to have holsters that accommodate a wide variety of guns. I was having trouble finding one that fit my X5 until I looked at Comp-Tac. Maybe they just haven't gotten a chance to pick up a mold for the Elite.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Topic author
gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:That's odd about Comp-Tac. I just ordered a holster from them for my 226 X5 which also has different dimensions than the standard 226. They make everything to order and seem to have holsters that accommodate a wide variety of guns. I was having trouble finding one that fit my X5 until I looked at Comp-Tac. Maybe they just haven't gotten a chance to pick up a mold for the Elite.

Hmm. Looking at the Sig website the Sig X5 Competition is 1.7" wide. The P226 Elite SAO is 1.73" wide. It may be the rail that causes the issue though. According to Comp-Tac's website they don't make a holster for the P226 with the "E2" rail. When I called I was told that basically meant all of the Elite models. After all that I think it is something with the rail. It seems mine would fit as I could adjust the holster for the extra .003" of width.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

gregthehand wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:That's odd about Comp-Tac. I just ordered a holster from them for my 226 X5 which also has different dimensions than the standard 226. They make everything to order and seem to have holsters that accommodate a wide variety of guns. I was having trouble finding one that fit my X5 until I looked at Comp-Tac. Maybe they just haven't gotten a chance to pick up a mold for the Elite.

Hmm. Looking at the Sig website the Sig X5 Competition is 1.7" wide. The P226 Elite SAO is 1.73" wide. It may be the rail that causes the issue though. According to Comp-Tac's website they don't make a holster for the P226 with the "E2" rail. When I called I was told that basically meant all of the Elite models. After all that I think it is something with the rail. It seems mine would fit as I could adjust the holster for the extra .003" of width.
I'm having a similar issue finding a holster for the P226 MK25. The rail seems to be the culprit there.

theHunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trying to Find a Holster for My New Sig P226 SAO Elite

Post by theHunter »

I have a P226 legion and P226 MK25 and I use the Galco Kingtuk model KT248B for the MK25 fits both and I have a Galco Concealable Belt Holster model CON248B both work well, I put my Legion inside a ziplock bag and worked it in and out of the Concealable Belt Holster then left it in there for a few days and it works great. I carry the Legion everyday and switch between the two Galco holsters and the Legion leather wing from Sig Sauer Store made by Black Point Tactical. I picked up the Kingtuk from Cabela's in Allen, TX, if you live near one you could see if they have the holster in stock and take it to the gun counter and see if they have the Elite and see how it fits.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trying to Find a Holster for My New Sig P226 SAO Elite

Post by Skiprr »

Just a note that Gregg Garrett, from the outset, decided that Comp-Tac would never make a holster without having purchased the exact model of firearm for which the holster was designed. They don't mold from blue guns or third-party molds, and they don't make "close enough" molds that fit a few different models within "acceptable" tolerances. As a gun model gains popularity, they'll get around to purchasing one and making holsters for it.

That attention to detail is one reason they're GregTheHand's favorite IWB holster, and mine.

And if you have the current issue of the IDPA's Tactical Journal, check page 26 for a by-the-numbers look at the gear used by the competitors at the 2016 National Championship. Of the 337 competitors, 306 were from the U.S. and, of the ones who responded to the question, 246 were CCW permit holders, 41 were not. Holsters used in competition? Comp-Tac in #1 position with a whopping 37% of the field. Top holster used by the competitors for CCW? Yep; Comp-Tac, with 15%; Alien Gear claimed 10%; Crossbreed at 8%.

I have no affiliation with Comp-Tac. Just thought it worth mentioning. Now back to helping GregTheHand find a new holster....
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”