Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jweg84
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Post by jweg84 »

Well Santa decided to bring me a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 :anamatedbanana

I wore it yesterday and it seems as though it'll be a nice comfy fit for me. I tried it first at the 3 o'clock position but it was pretty uncomfortable. I moved it around to the 4 - 4:30 position and it was much more comfortable there but the only issue I can see is it makes it incredibly hard to get my wallet in and out.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

jweg84 wrote:Well Santa decided to bring me a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 :anamatedbanana

I wore it yesterday and it seems as though it'll be a nice comfy fit for me. I tried it first at the 3 o'clock position but it was pretty uncomfortable. I moved it around to the 4 - 4:30 position and it was much more comfortable there but the only issue I can see is it makes it incredibly hard to get my wallet in and out.
Thats a hint to stop spending money !! :lol::
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I have a couple of Aliengear holsters. They are reasonable, but the ones I have don't really snap the gun in. The gun presses into place, but unlike many Kydex holsters they don't snap onto the trigger guard.

The retention is fine, it's just different.

The Aliengear tuck holsters have sort of a neoprene surface against your body. It's got enough traction you don't have to wear your belt quite as tight, which is good, but I don't know how well the stitching will last around the edge of the neoprene. I probably shouldn't worry. Mine are holding up.

Aliengear will ship within a few days, and they are a good company to deal with.

My current favorite holster is a Stealthgear tuck holster I have for my compact 1911, but it's probably a little more noticeable (to me) than the Aliengear I have for my P320. It's well concealed and comfortable, but probably not quite as easy to forget it's there.

My fancy leather holsters haven't really broken in like they should. I've about come to the opinion that as much as I like the appearance of a handgun in a leather holster, Kydex or molded plastic is a lot easier to live with. Cheesier, but easier to live with.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

treadlightly wrote: The Aliengear tuck holsters have sort of a neoprene surface against your body. It's got enough traction you don't have to wear your belt quite as tight, which is good, but I don't know how well the stitching will last around the edge of the neoprene. I probably shouldn't worry. Mine are holding up.
Not the longest test around, but I wore one for probably 18 months, and the stitching never came loose. That is wearing it almost every day, and soaking it in sweat during the summer.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
jweg84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jweg84 »

treadlightly wrote:The Aliengear tuck holsters have sort of a neoprene surface against your body. It's got enough traction you don't have to wear your belt quite as tight, which is good, but I don't know how well the stitching will last around the edge of the neoprene. I probably shouldn't worry. Mine are holding up.
I've only used mine for two days and the neoprene on the bottom side is already curled so I too question how long it will hold up. I got my Alien Gear from Amazon so there was no wait time for them to ship.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

Reds45ACP
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Reds45ACP »

Sounds like the topic author got a cloak tuck 3.0. It's a good choice.

I have been running one for 18+ months. Prior to that I had an original Cloak Tuck in leather. Durable as hell and comfortable to wear. I'm 6'1" and 256lbs. I wear a 38-40 waist. I carry a G19 or G26 every day depending on what I am wearing. I'm a lefty so I carry in the 8-8:30 position (3:30-4 position for righties).

I will join the chorus of: Get a good belt. It really does make ALL the difference in the world. Alien Gear has a good one so does Comp-Tac. Quality leather, reenforced, and they look like normal everyday belts.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I am 40 lbs heavy, and I carry at 3:30-4:00 in an IWB CrossBreed Mini Tuck. Honestly, I have to think about it to feel it. Sitting down, driving, office chair, whatever, I just don't feel it. My gun is not as far back as my wallet in my hip pocket, but almost.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Lynyrd wrote:I am 40 lbs heavy, and I carry at 3:30-4:00 in an IWB CrossBreed Mini Tuck. Honestly, I have to think about it to feel it. Sitting down, driving, office chair, whatever, I just don't feel it. My gun is not as far back as my wallet in my hip pocket, but almost.
I agree with the Cross Breed. I have worn it from being 180 lbs to 245 lbs and back down to 180lbs. I wear anywhere from 3:30 to 6:00 o'clock I have driven over 700 miles with it on and sat behind a computer for 12 hours......have to remember I am carrying. Also, a good belt makes all the difference.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

jweg84 wrote: I've only used mine for two days and the neoprene on the bottom side is already curled so I too question how long it will hold up. I got my Alien Gear from Amazon so there was no wait time for them to ship.
The neoprene edge on mine curled right away but no tearing. It must be pretty tough. I've used it a bunch over the last 6 months or more.

I sometimes carry a Kahr in a crossbreed holster. Very comfortable after a little break in with leather oil.

I still like my Stealthgear best but I must have been in a grand mood that day. They are a little pricey.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jweg84 wrote:Well Santa decided to bring me a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 :anamatedbanana

It might be a god idea to move your wallet to your weak side anyway. My reasoning is that it is likely to expose your firearm when reaching for your wallet, and when asked for an ID by an LEO, you could give the LEO a little bit of an adrenaline rush If you are perceived as going for your gun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

K5CLC

Post by K5CLC »

Liberty wrote:

It might be a god idea to move your wallet to your weak side anyway. My reasoning is that it is likely to expose your firearm when reaching for your wallet, and when asked for an ID by an LEO, you could give the LEO a little bit of an adrenaline rush If you are perceived as going for your gun.
I bought a small two pocket flip wallet that only carries my drivers license and will hold my LTC as well when it comes in. My plan is to keep that handy in my front left pocket in case I have to prove I'm licensed to carry, since my carry weapon will be on my right at the 4 o'clock position. I really like the look of the alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 but i cant get over how giant it looks. I'm not anywhere near 6' tall and only 185 pounds. Looks like it would be a wrap around holster on me . lol. Since i only plan to carry deep conceal every day the Vedder lightTuck holster for my S&W bodyguard 380 seems most logical. It's pricey but they seem to have alot of attention to detail, its adjustable, and smaller than those monster holsters. And can by worn IWB or OWB.
Chris
The Intelligent Response is a Brave Response : http://tinyurl.com/BraveResponse

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”