Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


Topic author
jweg84
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:01 am
Location: College Station

Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby jweg84 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:48 pm

Any guys on here with a a few dozen extra pounds care to give recommendations as to a IWB holster for my M&P Shield. I bought a cheap DeSantis Inside Heat from Academy and as I expected for the price, I don't care for it at all. I just wanted to get something that I could wear while I shop around for another holster that is more comfortable.

I'll be wearing it in the 4-5 o'clock position as that has already proven to be the easiest for me to conceal and my excessive love handles don't get in the way. I've looked at StealthGear IWB Mini but the $100+ price tag is more than a little scary.

So lets here it, what do you guys have to offer up. :bigear:
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

User avatar

Jago668
Senior Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:31 am

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby Jago668 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm 130 pounds overweight. I carry around 3:30 with a Raven Concealment Eidolon. However it is only for non .45acp Glocks. So not for what you have, however I mention it as it is possible to carry closer to the hip with the right holster.

I used an Aliengear 2.0 and it worked well for me in the position you are describing. They have good prices, and they do stick by their claim for free shell swaps. I switched the shells on mine several times as I traded around carry pistols. I also used one by D M Bullard in Azle, TX and he does good work. Leather so I would recommend an undershirt in the hotter months. For me at least the sweat and leather on bare skin irritated my skin.
NRA Benefactor Member

User avatar

remanifest
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:49 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby remanifest » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:07 pm

The NeoCarry holster (find it on eBay) works well for me. I'm not overweight, but there's a guy on YouTube who is overweight and stated it's comfortable for him too.

If a shoulder holster is an option, I hear these are great: https://blackhillsleather.com/shoulder- ... stems.html
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising


Topic author
jweg84
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:01 am
Location: College Station

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby jweg84 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Jago668 wrote:I used an Aliengear 2.0 and it worked well for me in the position you are describing. They have good prices, and they do stick by their claim for free shell swaps. I switched the shells on mine several times as I traded around carry pistols. I also used one by D M Bullard in Azle, TX and he does good work. Leather so I would recommend an undershirt in the hotter months. For me at least the sweat and leather on bare skin irritated my skin.


Aliengear is another that I've looked at just based on reviews that I've seen online.

I appreciate the responses. Keep'em coming.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby TreyHouston » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I carry at 3-330. I have aliengear IWB holsters however, i do not have a good belt. So for now i am using their OWB paddle holster and I LOVE IT. I usually wear a button up shirt untucked. I did a utube review in the holster and the mounting system it has for the car.
With my fatness, my XD Mod. 2 digs right into my love handle. OWB is the only thing working for me right now. Thats why i am also looking at the LCP II as a picket carry in a pocket holster.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts: 8794
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby carlson1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:22 pm

DM Bullard's Dual Carry. You get the best of both worlds. You have a great IWB holster and with moving the clips around you have a fantastic OWB holster.
Image

User avatar

KurtFTW
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm
Location: Victoria, Tx.

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby KurtFTW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 am

I am currently using the Alieangear Cloak Tuck 3.0 and have no problem with it. I've found for my body type and weight the 3:30-4 o'clock position works best for me. I also have their OWB paddle holster with their mounting system for my truck. Though I haven't decided the best location to place the mount. For the price, it's a great holster in my opinion.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320


6L105
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Magnolia, TX

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby 6L105 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:14 am

I carry a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, however, I just recently got a gun belt and now I am a believer. In the past I was frequently having to pull up on my pants and was in the market for a lighter weapon. Upgrading my holster from a single clip IWB setup to the dual clip, hybrid Crossbreed helped somewhat, but the new belt has made the most difference. I still have to pull up on my pants, but only occasionally, plus I don't have to cinch the belt up uncomfortably. What I find interesting is that even when I am not carrying, the gun belt holds my pants up better than a standard belt.


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby vjallen75 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 am

KurtFTW wrote:I am currently using the Alieangear Cloak Tuck 3.0 and have no problem with it. I've found for my body type and weight the 3:30-4 o'clock position works best for me. I also have their OWB paddle holster with their mounting system for my truck. Though I haven't decided the best location to place the mount. For the price, it's a great holster in my opinion.


I second the Cloak Tuck 3.0. I always thought I would be hard being larger than life, but this is very comfortable for me. I wear it 80% of the time all day and never have to move it or adjust. I'm 6'2", 260lbs and have a 38-40" waist and I have size 42 jeans because of IWB carry.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

User avatar

KurtFTW
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm
Location: Victoria, Tx.

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby KurtFTW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:12 am

vjallen75 wrote:
KurtFTW wrote:I am currently using the Alieangear Cloak Tuck 3.0 and have no problem with it. I've found for my body type and weight the 3:30-4 o'clock position works best for me. I also have their OWB paddle holster with their mounting system for my truck. Though I haven't decided the best location to place the mount. For the price, it's a great holster in my opinion.


I second the Cloak Tuck 3.0. I always thought I would be hard being larger than life, but this is very comfortable for me. I wear it 80% of the time all day and never have to move it or adjust. I'm 6'2", 260lbs and have a 38-40" waist and I have size 42 jeans because of IWB carry.

I'm 5'10", 240lbs and have a 38-40" waist, but I wear a size 40 jeans. I am trying to lose a little weight and don't want to rush out and buy over sized jeans when my goal in a couple months is to be back down to a 36-38 waist so a size 40 jean would be sufficient. The only modification I made to the Cloak Tuck was replaced the polymer clips with Ulti-clips. Comfort level is phenomenal.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby vjallen75 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am

KurtFTW wrote:I'm 5'10", 240lbs and have a 38-40" waist, but I wear a size 40 jeans. I am trying to lose a little weight and don't want to rush out and buy over sized jeans when my goal in a couple months is to be back down to a 36-38 waist so a size 40 jean would be sufficient. The only modification I made to the Cloak Tuck was replaced the polymer clips with Ulti-clips. Comfort level is phenomenal.


I have actually considered using those ulti-clips instead of the clips that came with the holster. That is probably the only knock I have against the cloak tuck is the clips should be longer for full sized firearms. I think I may pull the trigger and get these if I can't find any in stores after the holidays.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

User avatar

KurtFTW
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm
Location: Victoria, Tx.

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby KurtFTW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 am

vjallen75 wrote:I have actually considered using those ulti-clips instead of the clips that came with the holster. That is probably the only knock I have against the cloak tuck is the clips should be longer for full sized firearms. I think I may pull the trigger and get these if I can't find any in stores after the holidays.


To save you a little trouble. The Ulti-clips are not any longer than the polymer clips that come with the holster. If they are it's only slightly. If you're wanting the holster to fit further into your waistband for longer barrel/full sized firearms then I would not buy these under that pretense. They are great clips and make putting the holster on and taking it off a breeze and hold the holster in place as they clip to your jeans and not your belt.

Maybe they will work for you if you adjust the holster to the top holes when you replace the clips. I have mine at a slight cant to the right to make it easier for me to grasp and unholster my firearm. Hope that helps you make your decision later on.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320


vjallen75
Senior Member
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:13 am
Location: HEB

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby vjallen75 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:43 pm

KurtFTW wrote:To save you a little trouble. The Ulti-clips are not any longer than the polymer clips that come with the holster. If they are it's only slightly. If you're wanting the holster to fit further into your waistband for longer barrel/full sized firearms then I would not buy these under that pretense. They are great clips and make putting the holster on and taking it off a breeze and hold the holster in place as they clip to your jeans and not your belt.

Maybe they will work for you if you adjust the holster to the top holes when you replace the clips. I have mine at a slight cant to the right to make it easier for me to grasp and unholster my firearm. Hope that helps you make your decision later on.


Thank you, I will have to continue to research what will work for me
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm about 20-30 pounds overweight, but for me, the answer is "none". That's why I carry exclusively OWB, after having initially started out with IWB. I have never been "made" while carrying a 1911 or similar sized gun in a good OWB holster with a T-shirt over the top.

In the rare situations where OWB is not concealed enough for me, I will carry in a pocket or on my ankle, or off body (computer case, etc) before I go with an IWB rig.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


STEELTRIP1N
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Best IWB Holster for "chunky" aka "fat" people?

Postby STEELTRIP1N » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Checkout N82 Tactical Holsters


Return to “Holsters & Accessories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests