Thinner gun belt

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 2

Thinner gun belt

Post by apvonkanel »

I'm looking for a gun belt thinner than the one I have, but everything I find seems to be around 1/4" thick (.22"+/-). While the belt i have is great for the purpose of hold my pants and IWB holster right where they belong, it gets a little tricky (and sometimes impossible) to get it back through the first belt loop with a lot of pants.
Does anyone know of a leather (or at least leather looking) gun belt that is thinner without sacrificing too much stability? Considering I'm only looking to carry my S&W Shield I don't need 24oz leather with a tensile capacity of 17 tons, but a standard leather belt tends to sag.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thinner gun belt

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am sure that there are different options out there. One that I took advantage of several years ago is a belt from Comp-Tac that tapers from 1.5" down to 1.25" in the buckle area. This alleviated the problem of being unable to get the tail of the belt back through a loop.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Nano

Post by Nano »

I really like the one that I am using. I got it at Walmart and it is made by Dickies. It is 1.5", reversible and about $12. :thumbs2:
NRA Member

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I was trying to find the name of the belt I bought at Walmart for $12.99. It is a Faded Glory belt, but it has a Cordura edge with a leather outer centerpiece, with a polymer stiffener inside; it is thin, attractive, and sturdy. I wear it with both IWB or OWB holsters for my SIGs, even though I have a very thick Hank's Belts leather that is very thick, almost too thick. You may have to check more than one Walmart to find it, though.
Last edited by SIGFan43 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

flechero

Post by flechero »

apvonkanel wrote: it gets a little tricky (and sometimes impossible) to get it back through the first belt loop with a lot of pants.
Are you wearing khakis? or just have small jeans loops? When my office dress code used to require slacks, I went to 1 1/4" belt, in horsehide (which is also a little thinner than cow/bull). Going too thin is more compromising than going narrower in a belt. If you can wear 1.25" vs 1.5" you can still have a substantial belt. Depending on what you carry, you can go 1.25 with or w/o a stiffener insert.

All my belts now come from AG Gunleather... http://agcustomgunleather.com/ priced similar to the other well known belt makers but sturdier, IMO. Give Al a call to discuss your needs... he's a super nice guy and makes excellent belts.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Middle Age Russ wrote:I am sure that there are different options out there. One that I took advantage of several years ago is a belt from Comp-Tac that tapers from 1.5" down to 1.25" in the buckle area. This alleviated the problem of being unable to get the tail of the belt back through a loop.
I've used CompTac since 2008 and been happy.
Last week I decided to TRY two thicknesses of Bigfoot Gunbelts with the STEEL reinforcement.

The leather is thicker, but the 9 year old Comptac belt seems more supportive and stiffer than the brand new thicker leather with steel in it Bigfoot belts... I had to double check that there's any reinforcement in the $60 Bigfoot ones.

That's 3 or 4 brands I bought so far, Comptac still my favorite daily wear, I wish they used roller buckles (easy to change with the screws) and wish they were cheaper, but still the best I tried

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have a buddy who uses a galco belt that I think is a little slimmer than my belt man and his has a tapered end whereas mine does not. I don't have any problems tho with any pants I wear. I wear wranglers so they have decent belt loops. But when I was having to wear slacks Or dickies kackie pants I had the hardest time trying to get my belt through the loops but keep in mine it was an inner Velcro belt for my duty belt. I'd pull and it was the worst thing ever to try to do in a hurry.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

All great suggestions, but the OP is asking about belt thickness, not width.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

I've had good luck with this 511 belt. It's about half as thick as my Crossbreed belt and it's very stiff.

https://www.gtdist.com/5-11-casual-leather-belts.html
TSRA Life Memeber

Topic author
apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look at the Comp-Tac because that might solve the problem. I prefer a 1.5" belt, and am looking for alternatives to a 1.25" (that's my last resort). I generally wear slacks at work, occasionally jeans, but I've never been a fan of a 1.25", it just feels too narrow. I also found a "SuperBio Indestructible CCW Belt" that says it's 5/32" (0.16") so I'll see how that holds up. I prefer leather, but we'll see. Worst case scenario it will be good for a dirty-work belt.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a single layer gun belt from Daltech with 3/4in holes. Been wearing it for a year with a Kahr CW9 IWB. It did stretch some maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch but I think it good for a single layer belt. I think they usually run about 45 bucks.

I used this belt with OWB Springfield XD9 also with no issues. It is nowhere as stiff as the dual layer belt I have from tuckers gun leather recently.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think you want something with an insert to add support without adding thickness. I have a couple Bladetech belts that work well, but I think they are discontinued.

Right now I'm wearing a DM Bullard belt with no insert, just good solid leather construction. It works fine on all of my dress slacks, and also all of my jeans and shorts. You might want to also just try some other belt brands.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I got one from GT Distributors 2 years ago. It's 1 1/4" , leather and has decent stiffness.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

apvonkanel,

The last gun belt I had "The Beltman" make for me is the thinnest gun belt I've owned. Made of elephant and bullhide.

From their website: "During construction the elephant hide is laminated to a 9 oz. strap of bull hide with the internal stiffener included (no charge). The belt is then edged to our very high standards. The end result is a belt that looks great, is virtually abrasion-proof, and stiff enough to be a world class gunbelt. With the woven polyester stiffener already included, this may be the finest gun belt on the planet!"

I've had it for two years now and it still looks brand new.

It's a bit pricey, but you'll never wear out this belt and along with durability it's beautiful.

Visit their site and look them over. For reasons I can't explain, they don't look as thin in their photos, but they really are quite thin.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:apvonkanel,

The last gun belt I had "The Beltman" make for me is the thinnest gun belt I've owned. Made of elephant and bullhide.

From their website: "During construction the elephant hide is laminated to a 9 oz. strap of bull hide with the internal stiffener included (no charge). The belt is then edged to our very high standards. The end result is a belt that looks great, is virtually abrasion-proof, and stiff enough to be a world class gunbelt. With the woven polyester stiffener already included, this may be the finest gun belt on the planet!"

I've had it for two years now and it still looks brand new.

It's a bit pricey, but you'll never wear out this belt and along with durability it's beautiful.

Visit their site and look them over. For reasons I can't explain, they don't look as thin in their photos, but they really are quite thin.
Does the belt have the stiffener between layers or is there just one layer of elephant hide?
I have three bullhide belts from Beltman and like them very much.
They have two layers of leather with a stiffener in between. I believe it is Kydex.
I am sure if the OP sends an email they will be able to provide more information.
They have always been very helpful to me.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”