Need a holster carry position recommendation

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Budge
Posts in topic: 4

Need a holster carry position recommendation

Post by Budge »

Hi. I carry a Sig P938 Equinox with a crimson trace laserguard. I do not carry at work during the week (hospitals). I mainly carry during the evening and on weekends. I am very thin and I have found that I cannot carry in a car from 3:30 to MOB without it being painful. Appendix carry doesn't work either. 3:00 seems to be the only position that works in a vehicle. During the winter, I usually pocket carry in a jacket or use a pocket holster IWB. But with summer coming, I need a new method. I dont' think I can carry on the hip at 3:00 with summer clothes. Any recommendations on a better holster carry position? I am NOT asking for a referral for specific products. Thanks.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need a holster carry position recommendation

Post by carlson1 »

Have tried pocket carry in jeans or whatever you wear in the summer?

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Try one of these shirts:

https://www.undertechundercover.com/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't know if you are or not, but once a person starts carrying they may not be able to continue wearing the same clothes in the same manner if they are trying to conceal a handgun. There may have to be a slight wardrobe change or adjustment or addition.

I normally carry at about the 3-3:30 position in and out of my vehicles and occasionally move it slightly forward to 2:30-3 depending on how well my cover shirt breaks up the pattern of the bulge from the grip.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Post by flechero »

Lot of variables- I carry 3:30-4:00 but also with more cant than most. with a narrow gun (like a 938) it's actually very comfortable in a seated position or my auto seats- I only have to adjust the lumbar a smidge.

Sometimes a small adjustment like 1/2-1" fore or aft will make a world of difference. Also try an undershirt, at least initially as it will alleviate a lot discomfort until you get used to it.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Budge wrote: I am very thin and I have found that I cannot carry in a car from 3:30 to MOB without it being painful.
Obviously we don't know about your holster, which makes a lot of difference. I've got holsters that are painful, and holsters where I don't even feel the gun. Both for IWB and OWB from LC9 to full size 1911.

But, even with the correct holster for your body, cant can make a WORLD of difference. Before you give up on position, think about different holsters and different cants. The same thing doesn't work for everyone, so I won't preach my go to holster choice to you (Crossbreed). Search the forum for holsters, cant, and your preferred type of holster. There is a lot of information here.

As for 3:00 with summer clothes, wear loose shirts. Nobody will notice the bulge.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I agree comfort is dependent on the the holster you choose I too choose CROSSBREED IWB and have driven trips of 10 hours or more with an H & K USP Compact in the 4 O' Clock position and have forgotten it is there. On the other hand, I have a cheap Forbus OWB holster that begins to dig in after a while.

Topic author
Budge

Post by Budge »

Thank you for the responses. Carlson1, I do pocket carry from time to time. But it depends greatly on what I'm wearing. RHenriksen, I have that holster shirt (and I highly recommend it), but I find that I can only reliably draw with a button up shirt that allows me to draw across instead of up. C-dub, I've tried to wear baggier shirts, but it makes the imprinting worse (and I look like a toothpick wearing hand-me-downs :oops: ). A pancake holster or IWB would be best for my body type. But neither of those lets me move the holster around. What I'm really looking for is a holster carry option that lets me put it on and take it off again when I need it, and to transition from driving to walking without having to disrobe. I've thought of using an OWB holster with a single attachment, and just take it off when I get in the car. But I have yet to find one that doesn't imprint ridiculously on me. The best option would be to find a holster option that lets me keep it on all the time. Flechero, you may be on to something. I prefer a strong cant on my strong side. I might be able to pull that off with the right holster in and out of the car. I'll give that a try and let y'all know.

Just saw the two new posts: I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for a different carry gun. It is extremely comfortable in a standing position, but I cannot sit in a vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm built like a rail with a 29 inch waist. There is no gap between me and the seats of my car or truck. I had a custom holster made by Tucker, and I'm confident in saying that there is NO holster that I can wear that puts the gun between me and the car seat.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

You might consider a shoulder holster then.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Budge wrote:I am very thin
Eat a sandwich?

Topic author
Budge

Post by Budge »

CleverNickname wrote:
Budge wrote:I am very thin
Eat a sandwich?
:cheers2:

loktite

Post by loktite »

Well this doesn't really answer your request, but I wear a waist trimmer type belt for padding, as otherwise my hips start getting rubbed from the belt. I don't wear jeans, I wear cargo pants mostly, with second hand ACU pants as my "work pants". These are all meant to be worn at the waist (vs on the hips, as some jeans/styles are). This doesn't help your situation, simply food for thought.

I agree playing with the cant is a great start. You also might also consider something akin to Remora's clip/no-clip IWB Holster - Probably with the Ulticlip upgrade ( I think Bitter Clinger or AndyC gave props to Ulticlip in a separate thread ).
NRA Endowment Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

an alternative approach would be an IWB at 3 o'clock and with respect to shirts, engage the services of what Ian Fleming in one of the early James Bond novels termed "an understanding tailor". If someone here on the forum can't recommend one, you may have to go visit the local FBI office and ask some of the "suits" there who they use. Just keep in mind that it's a probably an 18 USC Section 930 location (federal property) and leave your EDC elsewhere for that visit.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Hm... I used to be 150# at 5'11". That worked out to a 30" waist, not quite as skinny as you, but close. Is it the bony hips factor that's making the holster/pistol uncomfortable? I just had this idea about using something like a loosely fitted belly band: not as the holster itself, but to provide a little padding (and extra circumference) to your midsection, which might make a conventional IWB more palatable.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

If you don't tuck in your shirts have you tried the single clip IWB type holsters? Those you can slide around on your belt some. Your gun isnt that big so a crossbreed 2 clip type holster i would say could be over kill. I carry a Kahr CW9 most of the time with a single clip IWB.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”