Galco "Jackass" Shoulder Holster question

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
boomstick
Posts in topic: 1

Galco "Jackass" Shoulder Holster question

Post by boomstick »

I am thinking about purchasing a Galco "Jackass" Shoulder Holster for my 5" 1911.

While reading reviews, I came across one where the reviewer was warning folks not to purchase one if they have a large belly because with the lowered grip position of the pistol in the rig. It seems that you have to reach around the largest part of your girth with the opposite hand to draw the firearm.

Does anyone have insight or experience with this?
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

The Annoyed Man

Re: Galco "Jackass" Shoulder Holster question

Post by The Annoyed Man »

boomstick wrote:I am thinking about purchasing a Galco "Jackass" Shoulder Holster for my 5" 1911.

While reading reviews, I came across one where the reviewer was warning folks not to purchase one if they have a large belly because with the lowered grip position of the pistol in the rig. It seems that you have to reach around the largest part of your girth with the opposite hand to draw the firearm.

Does anyone have insight or experience with this?
No experience with that particular holster, but I did take that into consideration when I bought the horizontal Miami Classic II instead. I am a "big guy" too. I don't have any problem drawing from the horizontal holster. While I am mindful that the horizontal muzzle may sweep someone at some point, it is an entirely subjective thing. The gun is safe, the holster encloses the trigger, the retention of which is adjustable, and there's a thumb-break retention strap. The pistol isn't going anywhere, and it can't fire all by its onesies. In my opinion, the horizontal muzzle is more of a social faux-pas than a real safety issue......and you can easily solve that with a light cover garment.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Just saw this I carried an original Jackass with an issued S&W 2-1/2" 66 for many years it was one of the best options I ever used, I really liked it and regretted selling it when later on I could go back to 1911's, never 1 issue with it at all. You will need to compensate the off side with ammo or cuffs as I did. Cuffs and 2 speed strips worked perfect.
Stay Safe

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I actually am thinking about one of these "tanker" holsters from El Paso Saddlery:

"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am about as large as they come. The only problem
I have had with shoulder holsters are making the straps are long enough. I used the Galco rig for awhile and then I had one made with wider and longer straps.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have a Jackass rig for 1911s if you would like to try it before buying. I also have a Miami Classic you can try. You're in Pasadena, so we can meet for lunch sometime, or you can join me at PSC and pick it/them up.

Chas.

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

Charles I have a Bianchi if you would like to try it for a 1911 PM me.
Stay Safe

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”