Tuckable J-Frame Project

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 4

Tuckable J-Frame Project

Post by Boxerrider »

I spend a lot of work time where I cannot carry. I can keep a firearm in my personal vehicle, if it is unloaded and double locked (in a locked container which is in a locked vehicle). I don't like repeatedly unchambering and rechambering a round in a semi-auto pistol. When I can carry, my shirt must remain tucked in as a work requirement. My Model 49 seems like the right tool for the job - now I want a leather holster, with belt loops, that allows for a tucked shirt. I'm reasonably thin, with arms that are a little long for my height, so I like a little more cant than most holsters I've tried.
Without any previous leatherwork experience, I researched online, considered the design for a while, and Thanksgiving break seemed like as good a time as any to tool-up and get at it. Tandy's November sales were a welcome bonus!
I made up some card-stock templates to fine tune my idea, and practiced each skill on scrap pieces before moving to that stage on the actual holster. I finished it last night, and while it isn't completely perfect, I am very pleased. It is definitely serviceable and I'm anxious to get some real-world experience with it.
Tuckable J Frame 1.jpeg
The width at the bottom helps to keep the grip close to my body without having to cinch my belt uncomfortably tight. Wide slots front and back allow for tucking in a shirt without binding up. I did not add any reinforcement to the opening - keeping this holster thin was a higher priority for me than easy reholstering, plus it makes assembly a lot simpler.
Tuckable J Frame 2.jpeg
The back is oversize to prevent skin to metal contact, and gently molded to provide good retention. The revolver stays firmly in place while holding the holster upside-down and shaking it vigorously.
Tuckable J Frame 4.jpeg
After some experimenting, I was able to get a pretty good match to my Beltman belt, and I'm pleased with how the loops blend in. Having to unfasten my belt to take the holster off and put it back on again is a compromise I'll live with.

Next in line - a speedstrip carrier. :cool:

Cheapsk8
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tuckable J-Frame Project

Post by Cheapsk8 »

Very impressive
In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Well done! The stitching is great- for a first time leather working, you did a fantastic job!

Curious as to the double locked and unloaded requirement... do you work in a secure gov't facility? Do they actually search people's vehicles? And if so, do they open locked boxes, look for hidden compartments, etc.? I wouldn't advocate breaking the rules, just curious if they really carry out these which hunts or it's just in the handbook? Sounds nuts.

But the holster is sweet! :thumbs2:

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

flechero wrote:Well done! The stitching is great- for a first time leather working, you did a fantastic job!

Curious as to the double locked and unloaded requirement... do you work in a secure gov't facility? Do they actually search people's vehicles? And if so, do they open locked boxes, look for hidden compartments, etc.? I wouldn't advocate breaking the rules, just curious if they really carry out these which hunts or it's just in the handbook? Sounds nuts.

But the holster is sweet! :thumbs2:
Thanks! I bought Tandy's basic hand stitching set and used the groover and overstitch wheel to lay out the stitches on the front. I ground a nail into a diamond awl shape, chucked it into a drill press, and used it (not running) to make holes all of the way through. First trip out this evening and it performed great - comfortable while driving and walking around, stayed in place, and my shirt stayed neatly tucked around it.

Unloaded and double locked is on Texas Department of Criminal Justice facilities. I don't get my vehicle searched very often, but it has happened. How thoroughly depends on who does it and the circumstances for the search - yes, they may ask you to open a locked container, and they may look for hidden compartments. I'm not against their requirement given the circumstances, I just don't want to be disarmed the whole rest of my day because of it.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Ahh.... a prison was actually my second thought.

Genius move, by the way,using the drill press as a punch! :tiphat:

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Deltaboy »

Fine looking job. Enjoy :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

How is it working out? :tiphat:

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Deltaboy wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 pm How is it working out? :tiphat:
It's working out pretty well. Looking for another J frame to keep in it. :cool:

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Great :tiphat:

Topic author
Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I do wonder how I look while sitting in my car in the grocery store parking lot; collect everything from the lock box, load and holster the revolver, belt off, holster on, shirt tucked back in, and belt back on. I choose to park in an inconspicuous place - on the outer edge of other parked cars but not far away from everybody else, and I doubt many people look up from their phone long enough to notice me.

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”