Thumb break or not on OWB leather holster?

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 4

Thumb break or not on OWB leather holster?

Post by Vol Texan »

I've been gifted a small sum of money this year at Christmas for the purpose of buying myself a nice leather OWB holster for my 1911.

To date, I've only carried IWB in a Crossbreed, so this shift to OWB leather will be something new for me. I'm not going to go cheap on this holster, so I want to make sure I do it right.

So here's my question - should I opt for a thumb break or not on the holster? I will continue to carry concealed most of the time, but on occasion I might open carry (I'd assume a 95:5 ratio or more of CC to OC).

I welcome your opinions on this (and recommendations if you have any).
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thumb break or not on OWB leather holster?

Post by Lynyrd »

I use when of these when I OC a 1911. There are other good choices, but I like this one.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/2-thumbr ... 2-barrels/
Do what you say you're gonna do.

cedarparkdad987
Banned

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Vol Texan wrote:I've been gifted a small sum of money this year at Christmas for the purpose of buying myself a nice leather OWB holster for my 1911.

To date, I've only carried IWB in a Crossbreed, so this shift to OWB leather will be something new for me. I'm not going to go cheap on this holster, so I want to make sure I do it right.

So here's my question - should I opt for a thumb break or not on the holster? I will continue to carry concealed most of the time, but on occasion I might open carry (I'd assume a 95:5 ratio or more of CC to OC).

I welcome your opinions on this (and recommendations if you have any).
My original holster for CC had a thumb break. Although I loved it, it really stuck out and was not good for CC.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OlBill »

I had them put one on my last one.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-hf1-belt-holster/

I don't regret it.

flechero

Post by flechero »

My thought is that if you really are 95/5, I'd carry something else on the 5 and buy a nice holster for the 95. (maybe revert to your current OC set up for those days?) I personally don't like a thumb break, but I never OC.

Tucker, Sparks, Kramer, Adams, Del Fatti, etc. There are SO MANY quality holster makers... I wish I was facing this problem with you! :lol:

strogg

Post by strogg »

I love thumb breaks. They add a bit of security in case you get physically active. Also, most thumb breaks don't feel any more or less uncomfortable, and they take all of a minute to get used to. IMO, thumb breaks adding to security is a myth, since a bg brazen enough to take your gun out of the holster would know how to defeat any single retention mechanism on a holster anyway. It'll take a level 3 holster to slow them down. I tend to only like thumb breaks in leather holsters where friction keeping the gun in the holster is minimal, again, for the times you are running or are rolling on the ground or something like that. You can keep that in mind when selecting a holster.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I use snap over holsters from RD Warren for my 1911's (4.25 and 5 inch) with no thumb break. The retention is very good in those holsters. So much so that when my wife expressed concern about my gun falling out while running, etc., I had her attempt to take the (triple verified empty) gun from my holster. She darn near ripped my belt off trying, but was unsuccessful in removing the gun. I have also tested it by wearing the holster and empty gun while showing my son wrestling moves and diving on the ground while playing football / soccer. I am happy with the level of retention I have, even without a thumb break. I also agree that a thumb break won't slow a BG down much if they know what they are doing. And if they don't know what they are doing, they will be like my wife and will use the wrong draw angle.

That said, a thumb break won't slow your draw down much, so if you feel more comfortable with one, then by all means go for it.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I'd vote yes (as long as the thumb-break accommodates 'cocked and locked'). It will provide retention against acts of nature (clothing snags, chair slats, 'grabby' upholstry, etc). It will not provide retention against humans.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Lynyrd wrote:I use when of these when I OC a 1911. There are other good choices, but I like this one.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/2-thumbr ... 2-barrels/
+1 for El Paso!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

WhoWouldGuess

Post by WhoWouldGuess »

Yes, a thumb break holster keeps the weapon from moving around as you move. I've used a Bianchi Model 19 for too many years to admit!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I think leather holsters are just beautiful, plain or fancy, but not nearly as quick to draw from as kydex or plastic retention holster.

I own a few and have retired them as a bit too old timey for me, even if I'm a bit old timey...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There is a thumb break on my shoulder rig for my 1911. It might be crazy to not have one on that type of holster for retention sake. I have not decided on a belt holster for it yet. I've looked at a couple and think I would like to have a thumb break for the safety and to keep it from moving around even just a little bit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't know if Randy Warren makes a thumb-break holster for a 1911, but I bet he does. He makes them for a SIG P938 and for an S&W Shield. His beautiful designs for the 1911 use a reinforcement piece that he extends into a thumb-break on the SIG and the Shield. I presume he could do that on any of his 1911 designs. I have two of his holsters and double mag carriers and the workmanship is excellent!

Chas.

http://rdwarrenleather.com/gallery.html

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wow!

I just looked at Randy Warrens holsters.

Now, I have holster envy. His holsters are magnificent! Stunning!! ok, ok, I'll stop, but man, what artistry.

The one I use to tote my G19 in is very high-techy, but ugly as sin.

Man, I may have to place an order and rescind what I said about leather holsters.

Here, let me wipe this egg off my face...

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”