Call-To-Action: Hearings on Numerous House Bills

This forum will contain all calls-to-action for the 2013 Texas Legislative Session. It is not for general discussion so please post in another forum, however questions about calls-to-action are appropriate for this forum.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Call-To-Action: Hearings on Numerous House Bills

Post by mojo84 »

She knows the real work is done outside these meetings and hearings.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

I was very surprised that there were more people to speak against campus carry than there were against open carry. I just thought open carry would be a more polarizing topic. I know Mr. Cotton has said there is widespread support for campus carry from both side of the legislature, so seeing just how many people (or lack thereof) spoke against open carry makes me even more guardedly optimistic. Wishful thinking?? I hope not.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I didn't see the campus carry testimony. Was it mostly college age kids and teachers against it? I read somewhere, there were college kids getting together to go to the Capitol today.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

mojo84 wrote:I didn't see the campus carry testimony. Was it mostly college age kids and teachers against it? I read somewhere, there were college kids getting together to go to the Capitol today.
There were a couple of college kids representing college groups pro, and a few college students from UT against. But what really struck me most was the number of women against. Maybe I'm a little more sensitive being a woman and all, but I just couldn't believe the amount of women testifying that they trust that campus security and law enforcement would be there to protect them. Not one of those women recognized the need to protect themselves. There was actually one woman who said she would rather NO ONE be on the elementary campus to protect her child from a madman than have a School Marshall on campus with 80 hours of TECLEOSE training. And her husband is Federal LEO, and she comes from big family background of guns and hunting. She would rather send children to the slaughter than have someone who was less trained than a police officer, but waaayy more trained than a CHL holder, to protect her kids. OUTRAGEOUS!! Then there were the typical professor/liberal types against any guns on campus. Their stance was about 'feeling'. How classrooms would feel more volatile if the students knew the professor/other students were armed. How we should be using more taxpayer money to fight mental health issues. Typical lib smack. More about "I think" than "the Constitution says". I was just flabbergasted at how many women got up there and deferred their self-defense to others (men). Now I begin to see how FauxBama won the female voters over. Travesty.

$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by RPB »

Seems like we had more educators %for% in 2013 than in 2011 so that's better; committee was more educated/informed and even more jovial than last time: ;-)

BTW, thanks to all who went, and those submitting written testimony who could not go; I know some missed work and drove hours and hours to be there and are driving hours and hours to get back home now.
Last edited by RPB on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:Every woman who testified, with the exception of Alice Trip and a vet-tech from A&M, were opposed to these bills.
That's not true. There was a woman who is retired but put in 38 years in teaching, some in NJ and then in Texas. She was a principal for the last 18 years of her career. (I'm doing this from memory, so my numbers are probably off.) She testified that she would have been opposed in the past but she now realizes that the best thing we can do for the children is to allow teachers with CHLs to carry at school.
Last edited by baldeagle on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:I was very surprised that there were more people to speak against campus carry than there were against open carry. I just thought open carry would be a more polarizing topic. I know Mr. Cotton has said there is widespread support for campus carry from both side of the legislature, so seeing just how many people (or lack thereof) spoke against open carry makes me even more guardedly optimistic. Wishful thinking?? I hope not.

The anti-campus carry group didn't get riled up until they realized it could actually pass. Maybe that's what's going on with the anti-open carry folks.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

artx

Post by artx »

Faxes sent last night!

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 9

Post by RHenriksen »

baldeagle wrote:
The_Busy_Mom wrote:I was very surprised that there were more people to speak against campus carry than there were against open carry. I just thought open carry would be a more polarizing topic. I know Mr. Cotton has said there is widespread support for campus carry from both side of the legislature, so seeing just how many people (or lack thereof) spoke against open carry makes me even more guardedly optimistic. Wishful thinking?? I hope not.

The anti-campus carry group didn't get riled up until they realized it could actually pass. Maybe that's what's going on with the anti-open carry folks.
I would also speculate that it's easier to rouse the groups against campus carry because it infringes on the sanctity of the University Environment - the bedrock of the Progressive movement. OC touches 99% of the state's footprint.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

baldeagle wrote:
The_Busy_Mom wrote:Every woman who testified, with the exception of Alice Trip and a vet-tech from A&M, were opposed to these bills.
That's not true. There was a woman who is retired but put in 38 years in teaching, some in NJ and then in Texas. She was a principal for the last 18 years of her career. (I'm doing this from memory, so my numbers are probably off.) She testified that she would have been opposed in the past but she now realizes that the best thing we can for the children is to allow teachers with CHLs to carry at school.
You're right, completely forgot about her. I tried to keep a running mental list, but she slipped through the cracks. ------->>>>>> See my avatar!

RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RX8er »

The_Busy_Mom wrote: but she slipped through the cracks. ------->>>>>> See my avatar!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And she Ain't Kidding!!! Love ya babe!
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I was tied up with work stuff all day yesterday & then home-stuff afterward. Is it too late to email/fax for this or are they still considering the bills?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

TexasCajun wrote:I was tied up with work stuff all day yesterday & then home-stuff afterward. Is it too late to email/fax for this or are they still considering the bills?
keep sending does not hurt.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Will do!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2013 Calls-To-Action”