05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

Re: 05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Post by RoyGBiv »

We had an even dozen people show up for class, one gal from as far away as Houston.!
(I hope she made it home safely, that's a long day)

I've received mostly positive feedback about the class and I, too, felt it was a good use of my time and money. As it turned out, the class was mostly lecture with some good ad-hoc hands on late in the day, covering basic CPR with an opportunity to try out some airway management appliances. My only small criticism would be that I would have liked to have some additional hands-on time with dressings, tourniquets and such. I've thankfully never had the need to apply a pressure bandage, etc.. If the class is done again I'd work with them specifically on adding this to the class. I've already given them that feedback.

On the plus side I thought the instructor was excellent (although a bit sleepy, coming off a 12 hour graveyard shift). I thought he covered the material at a manageable level (most everyone in the class had only basic First Aid/CPR), without "dumbing it down" too far or going over anyones head. Clearly the guy knew his stuff. I would not hesitate to take another class he was instructing.

"Serious Student" (from pistol-forum.com) passed along a link for an online purchase of the full PHTLS book for $1.99 plus shipping (shipping was $3.99 for me, total $6.47 including tax, shipped). The class we took was TFR, which is a subset of PHTLS. For such a low price, you get the full PHTLS text. Easy decision. Here's the link.... Thanks to Serious Student. LINK.

SS is also working on a "bullet card"... A summary of critical points to keep handy (maybe laminate and keep together with a basic trauma kit?). As soon as that's available I'll post here and let you know how to get a copy.

If you're ever looking for an interesting place to eat near Berry St and I-35W, I enjoyed Angie's Bikkles. Very nice lady running the place. She was happy to have us and I can vouch that the goat curry and oxtails are both excellent.

Thanks again to everyone who attended.!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 05-October: MEDICAL Training/TFR Trauma First Response

Post by 74novaman »

RoyGBiv wrote: SS is also working on a "bullet card"... A summary of critical points to keep handy (maybe laminate and keep together with a basic trauma kit?). As soon as that's available I'll post here and let you know how to get a copy.
Brilliant idea and I look forward to seeing the results.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Past Classes”