Questions on LE Agencies Lobbying Gun Bills

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
K5GU
Posts in topic: 1

Questions on LE Agencies Lobbying Gun Bills

Post by K5GU »

(I originally posted this in the HB910 Call To Action thread as a quote, however that is probably not the correct place since it's not really an "announcement", so I moved it here.)

I have recently heard comments here in the forum, in the Senate and House committee public hearings, and by the opposition on the House and Senate floors, that "most of the law enforcement agencies oppose" this or that, but there are some things missing from that equation:

1. Who are the "law enforcement agencies"?
2. Are the opposing LE "agencies" representing unions? Police associations?
3. How many constituents (members) do they represent and how does that compare to the number of voters they serve?
4. I hear and read "massive law enforcement response" but it would help me to know the numbers and who exactly they are.
5. How do the opposing numbers compare to those LEOs not opposing?

I can read the witness lists published, but that doesn't completely answer the questions. I have up-most respect for law enforcement and related officers. I have several good friends in Texas and Oklahoma who are among several LE categories, detectives, patrol officers, county sheriff, SWAT, Okla Highway Patrol, etc., and their comments to me about this are dichotomous - whereas their personal opinions do not reflect their union/association (aka political) leaders.

I'm just trying to be better informed. I'm not the type person that will just "roll over" based on generalities. Please stay ON TOPIC. Thanks!
Life is good.

Middle Age Russ

Re: Questions on LE Agencies Lobbying Gun Bills

Post by Middle Age Russ »

A great number of the PD leadership are politicians. They feel that their mandate as leaders of their departments is to support public safety, and that citizens owning firearms are an extreme risk to public safety or at best a hindrance to it. Following their reasoning (guns in the hands of citizens are dangerous), they must support restrictions on gun ownership and use rather than expanding the rights of citizens.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

C-dub

Re: Questions on LE Agencies Lobbying Gun Bills

Post by C-dub »

Contrast the testimonies of the elected (Sheriff's) versus the politically appointed (Chief's). That will probably tell you what you need to know.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”