SB11 & HB910 This week....

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mr1337
Posts in topic: 52

Re: SB11 & HB910 This week....

Post by mr1337 »

Robert91RS wrote:
v7a wrote:It's blatantly dishonest to claim that police cannot ask. Police can ask whatever they want. They can try to engage in conversation with a potential suspect. Just because Open Carriers aren't obligated to display the license doesn't mean police cannot engage in different ways (including small talk).
EXACTLY!!

If an officer chose to politely strike up a conversation the majority of License holders would not refuse to answer any reasonable questions.
I'm okay with this as long as the LEO makes it certain to the person that they are not being detained and they are free to go at any time without showing their license.

What I have a problem with is LEO lying in order to get compliance of people giving up their rights.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 10

Post by CoffeeNut »

"Unregulated and unenforceable open carry" so since a cop cannot stop me to see if I have car insurance I assume that is unregulated driving? Oh wait they can stop you for other reasons and require proof that way. Weird how in their own little world there are no other paths.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Jasonw560 »

Need to get my boots. The bull is piling up.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

Robert91RS wrote:
v7a wrote:It's blatantly dishonest to claim that police cannot ask. Police can ask whatever they want. They can try to engage in conversation with a potential suspect. Just because Open Carriers aren't obligated to display the license doesn't mean police cannot engage in different ways (including small talk).
EXACTLY!!

If an officer chose to politely strike up a conversation the majority of License holders would not refuse to answer any reasonable questions.
There are a fair number of people in this forum that will probably disagree with you there.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Tracker »

huh. you can walk up and down your own property open carrying without a license right now.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 9

Post by twomillenium »

This is just an attempt to delay and hopefully kill HB910.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

Tracker wrote:huh. you can walk up and down your own property open carrying without a license right now.
If I understand the law, as long as nobody in a public area can see the weapon, you're correct.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 48

Post by NotRPB »

Rodney Ellis ‏@RodneyEllis 4m4 minutes ago

Drinking the tea w/ @KonniBurton, @electcharles, @VanTaylorTX, @DonHuffines, @SenBobHall #txlege

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed May 27, 2015 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Jasonw560 »

"Sticky" about to speak.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Tracker
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Tracker »

oh gawd, stickland.....just be quite.

viking1000
Posts in topic: 52

Post by viking1000 »

mr1337 wrote:
Robert91RS wrote:
EXACTLY!!

I'm okay with this as long as the LEO makes it certain to the person that they are not being detained and they are free to go at any time without showing their license.

You are correct !
What I have a problem with is LEO lying in order to get compliance of people giving up their rights.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

THIS is exactly how Huffines dynamited the bill.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 10

Post by CoffeeNut »

Here we go!
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

This bill is going to conference.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Taypo wrote:
Tracker wrote:huh. you can walk up and down your own property open carrying without a license right now.
If I understand the law, as long as nobody in a public area can see the weapon, you're correct.
That is incorrect.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

PERIOD. It doesn't say if Nancy Worrywort sees it and calls the police.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”