Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: False Testimony by President of Texas Chapter of Mom’s D

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
C-dub wrote:Did anyone call her on it? Could or will they pursue perjury charges?
No, it was so late, everyone was tired, and everyone wanted to go home. Had it happened early on, Sen. Birdwell would have blasted her on it.

Chas.
I certainly understand that but a perjury charge would be appropriate. It would give great exposure to who they are. It's one thing to lie in the media. It's a complete other to lie during a legislative or judicial process.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
C-dub wrote:Did anyone call her on it? Could or will they pursue perjury charges?
No, it was so late, everyone was tired, and everyone wanted to go home. Had it happened early on, Sen. Birdwell would have blasted her on it.

Chas.
I certainly understand that but a perjury charge would be appropriate. It would give great exposure to who they are. It's one thing to lie in the media. It's a complete other to lie during a legislative or judicial process.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.
Okay, then why are they sworn in? If someone is supposed to be under oath and lies and there are never any consequences why bother?

Lately, it seems to me it's a little like saying entering the country illegally is against the law, but if you do we won't prosecute you or send you back and will even transport you to someone you know in this country and guess what, you can also obtain a social security number and get a refund for the past three years for which you've paid absolutely no taxes in the first place. Okay, it's not quite that bad, but still.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXBO »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.
I know. I just think that's a mistake. There should be accountability for testimony.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

There needs to be an investigation....Wait! Where have I heard that before?
Life is good.

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.
I know. I just think that's a mistake. There should be accountability for testimony.
Absolutely. To allow her lies to go into the record unchallenged was a mistake, long day or not! :banghead:

birdman253
Posts in topic: 1

Post by birdman253 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.

Charles,

For curiosity sake, who would have to file charges? Would it have to be a member of the committee, or could a regular citizen?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

birdman253 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TXBO wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Charges are never filed.

Chas.

Charles,

For curiosity sake, who would have to file charges? Would it have to be a member of the committee, or could a regular citizen?
I have no idea. My guess would be the committee chairman.

Chas.

juno106

Post by juno106 »

Perhaps an e-mail to AG Paxton's office would provide a definitive answer.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:It made national news commentary: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/39 ... -c-w-cooke
VERY interesting read TAM! Thanks for posting!

I hope other news outlets will pick up on this story. Then perhaps MDA's stature drop like a rock.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Perjury charges seem appropriate to me.

Thanks for the link TAM.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

joe817 wrote: I hope other news outlets will pick up on this story. Then perhaps MDA's stature drop like a rock.

unfortunately the worst thing would be her resigning as president of the local chapter...

i did sent the two links to Dallas KDFW Fox 4 asking for a follow up news story since they covered the committee meeting on Thursday's evening news broadcast
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

The Kelly Burke perjury video now has more views than Moms Demand has paying members :mrgreen:

The video is now the 2nd search result on Google for: kelly burke moms demand

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

This is being called perjury here, but on what basis:
TexasFirearmsCoalition.com wrote:Kelly Burke falsely testified that there are no statistics regarding crimes by Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees. That was a real whopper!

Ms. Burke’s statement is demonstrably untrue and she either knew it or should have known it.
If she didn't know it, then is it perjury? IOW if she only demonstrated she didn't know the facts, or was perhaps misled by a supporter/staffer, then I dunno that it's perjury.

The rap against Bush was that "he lied" about Saddam's WOMD, when it seems instead that no one knew the truth at the time (though Saddam was certainly BRAGGING that it was the truth).

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

TomsTXCHL wrote:If she didn't know it, then is it perjury?
She claimed that the dataset is "completely locked down". That's not a claim born out of ignorance. Her statement implies that the legislature and/or DPS is keeping the data secret from the public.

If she had merely said "we don't have any stats on CHL holders" that would have been different. But that's not what she said.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”