HB308

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Roger Howard
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB308

Post by Roger Howard »

Movement...
HB 308 is now scheduled for public hearing on 03/24

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clapping: :woohoo
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

joe817
Posts in topic: 5

Post by joe817 »

Great news indeed. I just hope & pray the committee will get to the bill next week. It's on the calendar, but so are 27 other bills.

There's a slug of bills that will be of interest to a lot of folks here on the forum on their agenda. Here's what they'll be considering starting next Tuesday:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 408001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting how many bills relating to guns and carry that are scheduled. Some of which are bills to give special privilege to certain people. Interesting how some believe certain people deserve to protect themselves more than others.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 14

Post by mr1337 »

I am really eager to see where this one goes, but I will be heartbroken if it doesn't make it.

I know some of the points that the anti group is going to bring up.

I hope the pro-2A side really nails these points in:

- Carrying while intoxicated will remain to be illegal.
- Hospitals, churches, amusement parks, and any private property will still be able to post 30.06 signs to prohibit CC, in which a 30.06 sign is already required, making these laws redundant.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

bigity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bigity »

I thought churches and such already had to post a 30.06 to prevent concealed carry?

I guess I need to read the bill and determine what areas this bill opens up (assuming no valid sign or verbal notice).
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

bigity wrote:I thought churches and such already had to post a 30.06 to prevent concealed carry?

I guess I need to read the bill and determine what areas this bill opens up (assuming no valid sign or verbal notice).

That was my point. Churches, hospitals, and amusement parks are listed in the prohibited places, but if you read the entire chapter, you will learn that they are only prohibited if they also post a 30.06 sign.

My point is the prohibited places list is redundant. If any business can post a sign to make it prohibited to concealed carry, you don't need a list of places that are only prohibited when they post a sign.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Post by locke_n_load »

If licensed OC passes, will this be amended to include OC (would be nice for the sake of consistency)?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

CJD

Post by CJD »

locke_n_load wrote:If licensed OC passes, will this be amended to include OC (would be nice for the sake of consistency)?
Hopefully in most places, but they'll probably try to exclude at least schools.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

locke_n_load wrote:If licensed OC passes, will this be amended to include OC (would be nice for the sake of consistency)?
You got it, it sure would. It is illegal for an unlicensed person to CC anywhere but their own property or vehicle. So, the list in 46.035 is only for CHL holders... and since SB17 OC is for CHL holders only, it would follow that the current list of places would be equally off limits to both OC and CC should OC pass.

If HB308 passes too, it opens it up for both OC and CC. Keep in mind, a hospital, church, racetrack, amusement park, hospital..... could still post 30.06 and / or 30.07 to exclude carry there.

College campus (not just the buildings) were specifically exempted from even licensed OC should SB17 pass. That is one difference where you can CC (If SB11 passes) but not OC.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

joe817 wrote:Great news indeed. I just hope & pray the committee will get to the bill next week. It's on the calendar, but so are 27 other bills.

There's a slug of bills that will be of interest to a lot of folks here on the forum on their agenda. Here's what they'll be considering starting next Tuesday:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 408001.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a really tall order! Given the scrutiny and debate of open and campus carry I can't help but wonder why the 3/24 list wasn't pared down some. Just 308 on its own is bound to generate a somewhat lengthy discussion. Add in some of the others like local weapon ordinances, and that agenda is going to make for a very long day.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Post by locke_n_load »

CJD wrote:
I don't think 46.035 bans schools in the first place, federal law does that. This would open up for carry at school or professional sporting/interscholastic events.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

CJD

Post by CJD »

locke_n_load wrote:
CJD wrote:
I don't think 46.035 bans schools in the first place, federal law does that. This would open up for carry at school or professional sporting/interscholastic events.
HB308 also exempts CHL from 46.03, which includes schools, polling places, court, racetrack, airports, and within 1000 feet of an execution. Federal law allows people with licenses to be on school grounds.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cb1000rider »

CJD wrote:... racetrack, airports, and within 1000 feet of an execution....
airports = secured area of an airport, to those of us that it matters to...

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Gosh I hope not! We are skating on very thin ice as it is to get OC & Campus Cary passed through the Senate. IMO, any additional amendments to the one's already passed, will cause such a delay that we will simply run out of time for a final floor vote. Or it could get bottled up in the EXTREMELY important House Calendar Committee, and effectively killed. It's happened before.

Let's be thankful for what's been passed so far, as is, with no amendments.

I feel as though HB308 will have a difficult time as it is to get through the entire process.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

locke_n_load wrote:
CJD wrote:
Federal law prohibits carry on the premises of and within 1,000 feet of a school UNLESS the person has a license to carry a handgun issued by the state.

46.03 is the section that currently prohibits it in the Texas penal code.
Keep calm and carry.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”