Bills In The House Calendars Committee

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Bills In The House Calendars Committee

Post by joe817 »

SewTexas wrote:it would be interesting if they would put this committee on video
No kidding! I have wondered why they don't, but that would take away the fun of nail-biting. :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Bladed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bladed »

joe817 wrote:
SewTexas wrote:it would be interesting if they would put this committee on video
No kidding! I have wondered why they don't, but that would take away the fun of nail-biting. :lol:
They only broadcast public hearings. The Calendars Committee typically doesn't hold public hearings.

Technically, if you wanted to hang around the Capitol and wait for them to announce when they're going to meet, you could sit in on the meetings of the Calendars Committee.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Bladed wrote:They only broadcast public hearings. The Calendars Committee typically doesn't hold public hearings.

Technically, if you wanted to hang around the Capitol and wait for them to announce when they're going to meet, you could sit in on the meetings of the Calendars Committee.
You'd really have to be on your toes to notice when they meet. The most recent committee meeting minutes is dated 04/01, and in reading the minutes they met for a grand total of exactly 3 minutes! From 2:20 pm to 2:23 pm. And of the 7 bills they placed on the State Calendars, there were no dissenting votes.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

joe817 wrote:
Bladed wrote:They only broadcast public hearings. The Calendars Committee typically doesn't hold public hearings.

You'd really have to be on your toes to notice when they meet. The most recent committee meeting minutes is dated 04/01, and in reading the minutes they met for a grand total of exactly 3 minutes! From 2:20 pm to 2:23 pm. And of the 7 bills they placed on the State Calendars, there were no dissenting votes.

see, this is sort of what I was saying.

I think if they had to meet in public, there would more accountability, therefore....more might actually get done.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

stash
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stash »

I was disappointed yesterday. I called my reps. office yesterday (first time at around 9am - no answer. At around 9:30am - no answer - left voice mail. Called about 2pm - no answer. Only thing I can figure is they were closed for Good Friday. Will try again Monday.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

stash wrote:I was disappointed yesterday. I called my reps. office yesterday (first time at around 9am - no answer. At around 9:30am - no answer - left voice mail. Called about 2pm - no answer. Only thing I can figure is they were closed for Good Friday. Will try again Monday.
Until the end of the session, when things get very hectic, Fridays are typically a "travel day" in the Texas Legislature, meaning only local (Austin-based) staff are at the Capitol. Everyone else is headed home for the weekend. From what I understand, everyone (even local staff) took off Good Friday, to make a long holiday weekend out of it.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well that makes perfect sense. The lights are on but nobody's home because of it's Good Friday. Not very many office people put in a full day Friday......with good reason! :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Not sure if this is speculation or based on inside knowledge:

Tracking Texas Politics: Monday, April 6, 2015
A bill that would let CHL holders take their weapons on college campuses sailed through the Senate by party lines, could it happen again in the House. Representatives will likely bring “campus carry” to the floor this week. Also look for “open carry” soon.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

HB 1509 now in Local Consent & Calendars Committee. Relating to the prosecution of the offense of unlawful carrying of weapons. 04/06/2015 (s)
Last edited by joe817 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Srnewby

Post by Srnewby »

v7a wrote:Not sure if this is speculation or based on inside knowledge:

Tracking Texas Politics: Monday, April 6, 2015
A bill that would let CHL holders take their weapons on college campuses sailed through the Senate by party lines, could it happen again in the House. Representatives will likely bring “campus carry” to the floor this week. Also look for “open carry” soon.
Don't see campus carry on any of the House calendars for this week. My guess is that it was speculation.

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

HJR 61 - Proposing a constitutional amendment relating to the right to hunt, fish, and harvest wildlife. 04/07/2015

Sent to Calendars Committee today.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

4 more bills have been added:

HB 937
HB118

SB 473
SB476
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'm watching for 937 like a hawk. I've emailed my rep, Straus and every member of calendars supporting it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
joe817

Post by joe817 »

I've updated the status on the bills listed plus added several, and noted a few where they've passed out of Calendars committee. As this list grows it's becoming a little unwieldly, these are what sticks out in my mind:

HB 905 - Relating to the regulation of knives by a municipality or county. It's been put on the Local Intent & Resolutions Calendar for 05/05/15.

HB 989 - Relating to defenses and exceptions to the prosecution of the criminal offense of the possession, manufacture, transport, repair, or sale of certain prohibited explosive weapons, firearms, and related items. Placed on General State Calendar for 05/06/2015.

Please let me know if I've left anything out, or if you find errors. Thanks!
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

safety1

Post by safety1 »

I have faith in the fact that Charles said watch the horizon!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”