Critical legislation for 2015

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

What are your top four issues for the 2015 Texas Legislative Session?

1. Open-carry
13%
2. Repeal of all off-limits areas for Texas CHLs (excluding federal laws) [HB3218 in 2013];
26%
3. Exclude church volunteer security teams and team members from the Occupations Code §1702 [HB2535 in 2013];
8%
4. Put teeth in the Employer parking lot bill by creating a cause of action for aggrieved employees;
10%
5. Create a substantial civil penalty for governmental agencies and political subdivisions that post unenforceable 30.06 signs [HB508 in 2013];
16%
6. Remove the fingerprint requirement for new and renewed CHLs;
2%
7. Redefine "conviction" for CHL eligibility to exclude successfully completed deferred adjudications;
4%
8. Amend CHL eligibility requirements such that the only disqualifying misdemeanors are violent offenses;
6%
9. Repeal TPC §42.01(a)(8) make it unlawful to display a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to cause alarm.
11%
10. Other
4%

Total votes: 1336

gsansing
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Critical legislation for 2015

Post by gsansing »

Just seen that CJ Grisham was able to get sponsorship for a "Carry To The Capital" event in January. CJ is reporting his was able to get this sponsorship from State Sen. Estes. I have called to express my concerns with Sen. Estes about these groups previous tactics and they overall belief there is a negative impact on gun rights.

Sen. Estes re-assured me he is only allowing an event(with requires sponsorship to be carried out) and not sponsoring any legislation from these groups at this time. He also stated that he is well aware of the tactics demonstrated by these group and is cautious.
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
My experience both as a police officer (also a firearms instructor for the department) and a competitive shooter is that most LEO's can't shoot any better than the vast majority of citizens. It seems that the only ones who can are those who are interested in guns aside from them being a tool of the trade. A friend who was a 28 year veteran of the Houston Police Dept. said it best, "when you see a COP drawing his gun, DUUUUCK because there's no telling who's going to be hit!"

Chas.
When I was attending ALERRT active shooter training I noticed a few older officers "T cupping" the blue training guns and not holding the firearm correctly. An issue with myself when shooting simulation ammo in a loud, high stress scenario I never saw my sights.

Edit: I highly recommend anyone take the ALERRT citizens course. I doubt it will be force on force training like LEOs go through but I know you would come away with some good info.

http://alerrt.org/ofcm/CourseTypes/catalog/80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Maybe I'm missing the place where it says it's open to civilians?
All the classes I've clicked say this...
Prerequisites: Certified Police Officer
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Maybe I'm missing the place where it says it's open to civilians?
All the classes I've clicked say this...
Prerequisites: Certified Police Officer
Must be a typo cause the course description say this,
Course Description: Law enforcement officers and agencies are frequently requested by schools, businesses, and community members for direction and presentations on what they should do if confronted with an active shooter event. The Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events (CRASE) course, designed and built on the Avoid, Deny, Defend strategy developed by ALERRT in 2004, provides strategies, guidance and a proven plan for surviving an active shooter event. Topics include the history and prevalence of active shooter events, the role of professional guardians, civilian response options, medical issues, and drills. Participants in this four hour Train-the-Trainer course will receive a manual and Power Point presentation suitable for use in their own presentations.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 6

Post by CleverNickname »

I read an interesting idea on another board that I thought I'd bring over here: Require that anyone who posts a 30.06 sign register the sign with the state. Then the state can post a list on the web, like they do with establishments with alcohol licenses. That way people can know ahead of time whether an establishment they want to visit is posted. texas3006.com is nice, but it doesn't get every location.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

CleverNickname wrote:I read an interesting idea on another board that I thought I'd bring over here: Require that anyone who posts a 30.06 sign register the sign with the state. Then the state can post a list on the web, like they do with establishments with alcohol licenses. That way people can know ahead of time whether an establishment they want to visit is posted. texas3006.com is nice, but it doesn't get every location.
Utah does something similar but only for churches that ban guns.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFchurch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

CJD

Post by CJD »

I already voted, but there are two I did not see that I would like:
1. Reduction of penalty for 30.06 violation
2. I'm assuming this is not there due to it not being very plausible, but Constitutional Carry, i.e. no licenses required.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I guess you missed this post: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 97#p922419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Wes
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Wes »

CleverNickname wrote:I read an interesting idea on another board that I thought I'd bring over here: Require that anyone who posts a 30.06 sign register the sign with the state. Then the state can post a list on the web, like they do with establishments with alcohol licenses. That way people can know ahead of time whether an establishment they want to visit is posted. texas3006.com is nice, but it doesn't get every location.
I like that! :thumbs2:
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

That's a great tip! Thank you
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

I've used a service called Popvox. It alerts you to new bills that are filed and changes.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Hey Mr. Cotton, another nit: I just noticed that on the TFC Bill list, HB 92 (White - Illegal Knife) is incorrectly listed as HB 952.

Found it when setting up my TLO bill tracking list. Thanks for the reminder TxLobo. I guess my only suggestion for you would be to see if you can have your smartphone implanted directly in your head. :mrgreen:
USAF 1982-2005

CJD

Post by CJD »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:I was surprised at the number who selected #9 -
"Repeal TPC §42.01(a)(8) make it unlawful to display a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to cause alarm."
Maybe Im missing something here, but why should this law be repealed? :headscratch

BTW Good survey.
It's unnecessary because other charges can be filed such as assault and terroristic threat, if the person truly does something threatening. As currently written, it has been and will continue to be abused by LEOs and prosecutors because it is so vague and nonspecific as to the elements of the crime. "Calculated to cause alarm" by whom? Does it mean the person with the gun, the general public, the person who has an irrational fear of all firearms, or any or all of those people? It should be repealed regardless whether open-carry passes, but it will be a critical piece of legislation if open-carry does pass.

Chas.
Regarding this, it appears that none of the current open carry bills address this concern.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

CJD wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:I was surprised at the number who selected #9 -
"Repeal TPC §42.01(a)(8) make it unlawful to display a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to cause alarm."
Maybe Im missing something here, but why should this law be repealed? :headscratch

BTW Good survey.
It's unnecessary because other charges can be filed such as assault and terroristic threat, if the person truly does something threatening. As currently written, it has been and will continue to be abused by LEOs and prosecutors because it is so vague and nonspecific as to the elements of the crime. "Calculated to cause alarm" by whom? Does it mean the person with the gun, the general public, the person who has an irrational fear of all firearms, or any or all of those people? It should be repealed regardless whether open-carry passes, but it will be a critical piece of legislation if open-carry does pass.

Chas.
Regarding this, it appears that none of the current open carry bills address this concern.
To be quite frank and honest, I doubt you will see it in an OC bill, this will probably go into it's own bill.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”