Campus Carry revived, attached to open carry

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Campus Carry revived, attached to open carry

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The House Parliamentarian has already determined that Campus-carry is germane to HB910 (open-carry). This was done when HB910 was being debated and a campus-carry amendment was offered by Rep. Fletcher. A point-of-order was called, the Speaker overruled it based upon the Parliamentarian's determination, then Fletcher withdrew it for reasons I cannot discuss. It will be no different if HB910 is amended in the Senate -- but don't hold your breath waiting for Patrick to help.

Chas.

safety1
Posts in topic: 40

Post by safety1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The House Parliamentarian has already determined that Campus-carry is germane to HB910 (open-carry). This was done when HB910 was being debated and a campus-carry amendment was offered by Rep. Fletcher. A point-of-order was called, the Speaker overruled it based upon the Parliamentarian's determination, then Fletcher withdrew it for reasons I cannot discuss. It will be no different if HB910 is amended in the Senate -- but don't hold your breath waiting for Patrick to help.

Chas.
What's next Charles? wait and see? CTA? Is there time? :confused5
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TXBO »

Expect this to go to the wire unless some very powerful people get some victories on bills that are higher on there priority list. HB910 is now a hostage.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

TXBO wrote:Expect this to go to the wire unless some very powerful people get some victories on bills that are higher on there priority list. HB910 is now a hostage.
Yes, hostage to tax bills and boarder security and some other issues I suspect. We heard movement on those issues is in the works?? :confused5
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 21

Post by mojo84 »

Cross post from another thread:

Straus just welcomed Gov. Abbott to the floor. Interesting timing. Hope he can rally some sense into the legislators.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Ruark »

What happened? Did Abbott say anything encouraging?
-Ruark

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Ruark wrote:What happened? Did Abbott say anything encouraging?
No was just recognized for being on the house floor.
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

http://www.newswest9.com/story/29059356 ... ong-texans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA - Life Member

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by v7a »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It will be no different if HB910 is amended in the Senate -- but don't hold your breath waiting for Patrick to help.
I realize you might not be able to clarify that until after the session has ended, but I see two possible interpretations of that:

1. If the spat between House and Senate doesn't get resolved soon there won't be enough time to amend HB910 and get it through concurrence vote in the House
2. Patrick wants to pass HB910 without any amendments so that he gets credit for getting Open Carry to the governor (versus House getting credit for Open Carry AND Campus Carry)

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

v7a wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:It will be no different if HB910 is amended in the Senate -- but don't hold your breath waiting for Patrick to help.
I realize you might not be able to clarify that until after the session has ended, but I see two possible interpretations of that:

1. If the spat between House and Senate doesn't get resolved soon there won't be enough time to amend HB910 and get it through concurrence vote in the House
2. Patrick wants to pass HB910 without any amendments so that he gets credit for getting Open Carry to the governor (versus House getting credit for Open Carry AND Campus Carry)
Patrick wants a reduction in property tax.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:

Unfortunately, what he is pushing isn't going to work in my opinion. Rates and appraisals will be increased to offset the increased homestead exemption.

Maybe in missing something.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:

Unfortunately, what he is pushing isn't going to work in my opinion. Rates and appraisals will be increased to offset the increased homestead exemption.

Regardless of actual net effect, Patrick's number one campaign pledge was a reduction in property tax. His number one priority in this session is to fulfill that pledge.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:

Regardless of actual net effect, Patrick's number one campaign pledge was a reduction in property tax. His number one priority in this session is to fulfill that pledge.
If it doesn't reduce the amount paid by the property owner, it is not fulfilling his pledge. That is playing a shell game and isn't what he promised.

TXBO
Banned

Post by TXBO »

mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:

If it doesn't reduce the amount paid by the property owner, it is not fulfilling his pledge. That is playing a shell game and isn't what he promised.
That may be the case. I haven't studied that particular bill. My only point is that he is determined to satisfy his promise of property and business tax reduction.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
TXBO wrote:
v7a wrote:

That may be the case. I haven't studied that particular bill. My only point is that he is determined to satisfy his promise of property and business tax reduction.

Buying into empty legislation that doesn't do what was promised is much of the reason we, as a country, are in the condition we are in.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”