Campus Carry Holdup

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bladed
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Campus Carry Holdup

Post by Bladed »

ELB wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bulinm wrote:I guess the only way to kill licensed open carry is to attach something even
more controversial to the bill. Is that what's going on here ?

Move open carry now, please. Let's at least get that done. heck, I just ordered
a new gunbelt.
It's not a move to kill open-carry; it's a move to pass campus-carry that will save lives.

Chas.
If I understand correctly, HB910 coming back from the Senate with the Campus Carry amendment has to be brought to the entire House for a vote on the new amendment, it can't be parked in a committee to die? And no other (new) amendments can be considered? Just yea or nay on the Campus Carry amendment, and if nay, then maybe to Conference Committee?
Yes, your understanding is correct. A concurrence vote is a simple up or down vote (no amendments can be offered) and requires only a simple majority to pass. Also, the author can call for a concurrence vote at any time once the bill is eligible, so he doesn't have to wait for it to be scheduled or anything like that.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

A deal between Texas House and Senate members has revived legislation that would allow concealed handguns to be carried into university classrooms, dorms and buildings.
After passing quickly through the Senate, legislation allowing “campus carry” has been bottled up for the past month in the House, raising questions about its viability with only three full weeks remaining in the legislative session.
Apparently out of options in the House, state Rep. Allen Fletcher, R-Cypress, turned to the Senate, where he said he worked out a deal to have campus carry legislation grafted onto another gun bill as an amendment. The move would allow the new combination bill to return to the House, where approval by the Republican majority is expected.
“If I can get the Senate to send it back over this way, we’ll wrap it up and call it a session,” Fletcher said Wednesday. “It’ll save a lot of time and effort and debate.”
The first step of the plan took place Wednesday evening when Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick referred House Bill 910, allowing those with a concealed handgun license to openly carry a holstered firearm, to the Senate State Affairs Committee, where it must receive a public hearing and a vote before heading to the full Senate. 
Fletcher’s campus carry legislation, House Bill 937, has been sitting without action for the past four weeks in the House Calendars Committee, which decides which legislation goes to the floor for a vote. Campus carry language will be added to HB 910 before it leaves the Senate, Fletcher said

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 263.735724

Copied from another thread credit OP A-R
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NotRPB »

For Info only:
Two "Liberal" Reporters tweeted the following
Sen. Estes says Rep. Fletcher is "a bit premature" in declaring new plan on 'campus carry' #txlege http://bit.ly/1P3VuMN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Path forward remains unclear for so-called ‘campus carry’ proposal

Published: May 7, 2015 12:31 pm
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... arry.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From past experience, I worry about declaring "SLAM DUNK"
So ... I'm just patiently waiting, and still praying.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

@chucklindell 3 minutes ago 5:21 PM - 14 May 2015
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House Homeland Security passes out SB11, sending campus carry to House floor w/o changes. #txlege

Deadlines in another format
http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/whatsNew/cli ... -Deadlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

NotRPB wrote:@chucklindell 3 minutes ago 5:21 PM - 14 May 2015
House Homeland Security passes out SB11, sending campus carry to House floor w/o changes. #txlege

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/whatsNew/cli ... -Deadlines" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Technically, they sent it to Calendars. Whether or not it will ever reach the House floor remains to be seen.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Bladed wrote:
NotRPB wrote:@chucklindell 3 minutes ago 5:21 PM - 14 May 2015

Technically, they sent it to Calendars. Whether or not it will ever reach the House floor remains to be seen.
:tiphat: Thanks, Yeah I just copied his tweet, I was hurried,
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
H Reported favorably w/o amendment(s) 05/14/2015
H Considered in formal meeting 05/14/2015

safety1

Post by safety1 »

What about SB17?
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yay! Movement on both campus and open today? I'm floored. Let's see if it makes any real difference for us. I hope so!! :cheers2:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

safety1 wrote:What about SB17?
I may be misreading this, but I think this was a strategic decision on the part of our side.

thechl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thechl »

So if the House passes SB11 without further amendment, and the Senate passes HB910 without further amendment, then each can go the the governor for signature...right?

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

thechl wrote:So if the House passes SB11 without further amendment, and the Senate passes HB910 without further amendment, then each can go the the governor for signature...right?
Sounds like the best of both worlds.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

That's my understanding, but I'm no expert.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yes, if the house passes the Senate's campus carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If the Senate passes the House's open carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If either chamber amends the bills, then there would need to be a concurrence vote, and if the chambers cant concur then there would be a conference committee formed to hammer out the differences -- if I understand everything correctly.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

safety1

Post by safety1 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Yes, if the house passes the Senate's campus carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If the Senate passes the House's open carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If either chamber amends the bills, then there would need to be a concurrence vote, and if the chambers cant concur then there would be a conference committee formed to hammer out the differences -- if I understand everything correctly.

If amended the "clock" becomes an issue to my understanding...a big issue.
NRA - Life Member

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

safety1 wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:Yes, if the house passes the Senate's campus carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If the Senate passes the House's open carry bill, Greg gets to sign it. If either chamber amends the bills, then there would need to be a concurrence vote, and if the chambers cant concur then there would be a conference committee formed to hammer out the differences -- if I understand everything correctly.

If amended the "clock" becomes an issue to my understanding...a big issue.
This isn't necessarily true. If the author is willing to concur in the opposite chamber's amendments and if a majority of the originating chamber is willing to concur in the amendments, concurrence is pretty simple. In fact, the House and Senate have an entire day when they do nothing but concur in opposite-chamber amendments. Concurrence votes don't have to be scheduled, can't be debated, only have to be voted on once, and require only a simple majority to pass.

The clock only becomes a major issue if the author disagrees with the amendments and requests a conference committee or if the changes don't have majority support in the originating chamber.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”