It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K5GU
Posts in topic: 2

Re: It's Not Just Gun Bills Being Stonewalled

Post by K5GU »

I have many friends who are wanting (and watching for) an expansion to the CHL laws who don't yet have their CHL but will get their CHL's if the laws are enhanced so they don't have to hide their gun under their clothes (men and women) and don't want to get arrested for inadvertantly displaying their gun in public; as well as many people who frequent college campuses (not just students) and want to have a better chance to survive an attack there. In other words, there are many people who are waiting to see if these CHL laws are improved before going to get their CHL. I think OC and campus carry bill passage will cause more of an increase in the number of CHL as opposed to a decrease in that number. And I'm sure there are also lots of people wanting the non-CHL bills to pass as well but I don't have a good enough feel for that to comment on.
Life is good.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

joe817 wrote:I have never in my lifetime tried so hard to learn and understand the legislative process here in Texas, as I have for this session. True I've learned a BUNCH. And the more I learn the more I come to understand how much I don't know, or how naive I really am. Disappointment is a gross understatement.

I don't understand why there's only 140 days to get all business done that effects the next 2 years, in only 140 days.
I don't understand why there can be no floor debate on ANY bill introduced until the 92nd day after Congress convenes. By the time they get to floor debate 66%(actually 65.71%), time of the entire 84th Legislature has expired.
I don't understand why the first 3 or 4 weeks of floor action by either House or Senate was devoted exclusively(almost) to congratulatory, or recognition speeches and resolutions. To me, it seems like an unneeded squandering of precious little time.
This is the most I've payed attention too but it does have me thinking, how much could the federal government benefit from 140 days every 2 years. If they didn't have every day of the week to come up with something, we wouldn't have as much of the crap coming out of DC as we do now.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

joe817 wrote:I have never in my lifetime tried so hard to learn and understand the legislative process here in Texas, as I have for this session. True I've learned a BUNCH. And the more I learn the more I come to understand how much I don't know, or how naive I really am. Disappointment is a gross understatement.

I don't understand why there's only 140 days to get all business done that effects the next 2 years, in only 140 days.
I don't understand why there can be no floor debate on ANY bill introduced until the 92nd day after Congress convenes. By the time they get to floor debate 66%(actually 65.71%), time of the entire 84th Legislature has expired.
I don't understand why the first 3 or 4 weeks of floor action by either House or Senate was devoted exclusively(almost) to congratulatory, or recognition speeches and resolutions. To me, it seems like an unneeded squandering of precious little time.

FYI, there have been:
7,241 House bills filed for the 84th Legislature,
2,988 Senate bills filed for the 84th Legislature.

As of today, May 14, 2015 our Governor has signed 28 items into law. 16 of which were congratulatory or in recognition resolutions. ( http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/ ... ignedbygov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I don't understand why the House Calendars Committee, and the Local Consent & Calendars Committee wield so much perceived control. In looking at their meetings, they meet literally only minutes at a time. Eg: on 05/08/15 they met for exactly 6 minutes to generate 3 calendars(May 11, May 12 & May 13) for a combined 55 bills. 55 bills placed on 3 calendars taking only 6 minutes start to finish. It don't make sense....I don't understand. UNLESS, all those bills were predetermined on which one's they are and when they'd be scheduled. Sure. I can make assumptions of who makes those pre-determinations, but I won't. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Charles' words of yesterday(or the day before) is haunting me. Something to the effect: "never in my 35 years of following the Legislature have I noticed that this is the LEAST productive Legislature of them all. (forgive me Charles if I butchered your quote.)

Haunting are those words. I wonder why? I don't understand. The Republicans hold majority over BOTH houses of Congress. Yet we see stonewalling, delay, procrastination....with a super majority. One would think that this session would be the MOST productive Legislature in many years. But that's not the case.

We are approaching the rubicon.....if we've not already crossed it.

I wonder why? I don't understand.

[we now return you to normal programming
I'm with you on that. I have nothing but time and plan on doing some indepth analysis on this session if for nothing else, to satisfy my suspicions on what has caused the disfunctioning of a legislature that I had big hopes for.

And this post is on topic in light of the fact that much of the time this legislature has spent on bills that rename highways, give recognition to retirees, business accomplishments, and other resolutions, and bills to correct punctuation, etc., do have an adverse impact on the success of CHL related legislation.
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

The dems are stonewalling a bill trying to get the clock to run out before it can get to the floor. Apparently, they feel that's the only way to kill it.

While watching this and seeing the reps speak on quite a few different issues, I've come to the conclusion that I am amazed some of these people get elected and are considered leaders of our state.

It definitely isn't only gun related issues that are being held off. :mad5
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tracker »

State Leaders Juggle Resolutions on Five Major Issues
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/05/14/ ... or-issues/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"With less than three weeks left in the session, the governor and top legislative leaders are simultaneously negotiating compromises on five bills covering tax cuts, restraints on local property tax increases, border security, prosecutions of state ethics cases and open carry of handguns in Texas."

"And then there is the issue that made headlines on the very first day of this legislative session, back in January — open carry of handguns for licensed adults. State law currently allows the open carrying of rifles and shotguns. Concealed handguns may be carried by anyone with a license. Both the House and Senate have passed open carry bills, and they have tentatively agreed to proceed with the version in House Bill 910."

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

jason812 wrote:

This is the most I've payed attention too but it does have me thinking, how much could the federal government benefit from 140 days every 2 years. If they didn't have every day of the week to come up with something, we wouldn't have as much of the crap coming out of DC as we do now.
Or... city councils that meet every two weeks, regularly adding now, often ridiculous, laws...

Ruark
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ruark »

joelamosobadiah wrote:I have friends and acquaintances that seem to think that open carry and HB308 are both crazy extreme! Most of my "gun friends" agree with campus carry, however, to say all CHLs are on board with this legislation is definitely not accurate.
When you are posting content suggesting that these bills might not have as much support as it appears, please keep in mind that legislators read this forum. Thank you. Thank you very much.
-Ruark

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I called Austin last week and said let's get the Lead out and put OC and Campus Carry on Gov. ABBOTT's desk. :banghead:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Ipconfig wrote:Well to be honest I am a CHL and carry daily. I also read this forum pretty much daily, and I dont give 1 whit about campus or open carry. There were more important bills this year that worried me instead of those.
Fair enough. I'm biased in favor of campus carry since I work in a university building. That aside, campus carry represents an incremental step in expanding concealed carry (which HB 308 obviously does in a more comprehensive way).

Both campus carry and HB 308 are making the same valid argument: Texas CHLs are relatively more law abiding and deserving of the removal of these restricted carry areas. This argument needs to be won.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Fair enough. I'm biased in favor of campus carry since I work in a university building. That aside, campus carry represents an incremental step in expanding concealed carry (which HB 308 obviously does in a more comprehensive way).

Both campus carry and HB 308 are making the same valid argument: Texas CHLs are relatively more law abiding and deserving of the removal of these restricted carry areas. This argument needs to be won.
:iagree: Nothing more, IMO, expands the CHL's ability to defend themselves in more places we are currently prohibited from carrying, should the need arise, than these 2 bills.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

joe817 wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Fair enough. I'm biased in favor of campus carry since I work in a university building. That aside, campus carry represents an incremental step in expanding concealed carry (which HB 308 obviously does in a more comprehensive way).

:iagree: Nothing more, IMO, expands the CHL's ability to defend themselves in more places we are currently prohibited from carrying, should the need arise, than these 2 bills.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ws03

Post by ws03 »

:iagree: I also work on a campus and this issue needs to be addressed.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Would the campus carry bills currently being considered not allow universities to prohibit their employees from carrying? As I understand it, even though the public cannot (in theory anyway) be prohibited from carrying into a state office building that's not otherwise statutorily off-limits, state agencies still can and some do prohibit employees from carrying while at work. I would assume colleges will do the same if allowed to - do the CC bills speak to this?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The bills are written so that public institutions cannot make rules prohibiting staff, students or faculty from carrying on the premises of the campus buildings...

SB11 -

(c) Except as provided by Subsection (d) or (e), an
institution of higher education or private or independent
institution of higher education in this state may not adopt any
rule, regulation, or other provision prohibiting license holders
from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution.
(d) An institution of higher education or private or
independent institution of higher education in this state may
establish rules, regulations, or other provisions concerning the
storage of handguns in dormitories or other residential facilities
that are owned or leased and operated by the institution and located
on the campus of the institution.
(e) A private or independent institution of higher
education in this state, after consulting with students, staff, and
faculty of the institution, may establish rules, regulations, or
other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying
handguns on the campus of the institution, any grounds or building
on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being
conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle owned by the
institution.

I believe HB937 (which I believe is officially dead at this point, or very close) had the same verbiage.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Thanks, I've been wondering about that. I worked for TxDOT several years ago and they were beyond anal about making sure you knew you weren't allowed to carry at work or keep firearms in your vehicle. I assume the parking lot bill fixed the latter, and I've since heard they changed their employee carry policy but I don't believe they were under any particular requirement to do so.

Glad to hear these bills won't give college administrators the option.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”