General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by treadlightly »

I wrote to Sheriff Parnell McNamara of McLennan County last week, thanking him for his plain-spoken, common-sense endorsement of armed citizens before the Texas Senate. That was the same hearing in which Austin Police Chief Avevedo offered rape counseling as a better alternative to ventilated attackers.

About 30 minutes ago, I got a call from Sheriff McNamara thanking me for my letter.

Talk about a nice guy, genuinely committed to public safety and service - he spoke to me for about ten minutes, outlining why he thinks the way he does.

I still remember his comments on a KWTX interview after the Colorado theater shooting. He said if that heinous act had been attempted in Texas, he felt there would have been law abiding citizens willing to "swap lead with that coward."

If only my banker had half that kind of horse sense. Dratted 30.06 signs...

Better yet, if Chief Acevedo would accept some good-natured counseling from Sheriff McNamara my old home town would be a nicer place.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr1337 »

treadlightly wrote:If only my banker had half that kind of horse sense. Dratted 30.06 signs...
Time to find a new bank.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

mr1337 wrote:
treadlightly wrote:If only my banker had half that kind of horse sense. Dratted 30.06 signs...
Time to find a new bank.
I've never had to disarm at a Chase.

Glad to see your Sheriff responded with more than a form letter. I've sent emails, letters and phone calls to many and at best all I've ever gotten is a form letter response. A 10 minute phone call is pure gold.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Looks like the Homeland Security / Public Safety Committee has some work to do. :shock: Everything is stuck there.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

chop249

Post by chop249 »

Can someone explain the current status of SB 11? http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The "Not again placed on intent calendar" is confusing me.

premedit8ed

Post by premedit8ed »

chop249 wrote:Can someone explain the current status of SB 11? http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The "Not again placed on intent calendar" is confusing me.
Means it will not be brought up for consideration on that calendar day.
It was placed on intent calendar but didn't get around to it but the following day it was "not again" reposted on intent calendar. Follow me?
NRA member
springfield xds 9mm / Canik 55 T-120 9mm
Panther arms 5.56 A2 carbine
Remington 870 express super magnum

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

chop249 wrote:Can someone explain the current status of SB 11? http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The "Not again placed on intent calendar" is confusing me.
That was probably a mistake because it's not eligible for debate and vote until 3/13/15.

Chas.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

treadlightly wrote:That was the same hearing in which Austin Police Chief Avevedo offered rape counseling as a better alternative to ventilated attackers.
There's only one logical reason he's afraid of empowering women who think "no means no" in Texas.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Postby CleverNickname » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 pm

I haven't seen any discussion on HB 1179 which would require Texas CLEOs to sign off on NFA paperwork. I'm about NFA'ed out (I've bought or built 9 suppressors and 3 SBRs in the last year and a half), but it would be nice to be able to continue to do so in the future once my gun budget recovers.
According to:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1179

It's Scheduled for public hearing on . . . 03/10/2015
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K5GU »

FYI...HB554 Springer - Relating to a defense to prosecution for the offense of possessing or carrying a weapon in or into the secured area of an airport, was discussed in today's Homeland Security & Public Safety meeting.
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

K5GU wrote:FYI...HB554 Springer - Relating to a defense to prosecution for the offense of possessing or carrying a weapon in or into the secured area of an airport, was discussed in today's Homeland Security & Public Safety meeting.

What was your impression of the legislator's attitude toward it?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K5GU »

mojo84 wrote:
K5GU wrote:FYI...HB554 Springer - Relating to a defense to prosecution for the offense of possessing or carrying a weapon in or into the secured area of an airport, was discussed in today's Homeland Security & Public Safety meeting.

What was your impression of the legislator's attitude toward it?
Springer was very convincing talking about the intent. Most of them looked positive. One of them commented that the bill wasn't really needed if prosecutors would heed the existing wording in PC 46.03 that says '...if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm... But Springer said one of the things the bill should do is cause avoidance of $$$ and time, arrest, etc., by someone who is law-abiding, has a license, and forgets the weapon is in his brief case, pocket, etc. when he gets to the security checkpoint, similar to what happens under 30.06 where the person carrying gets the chance to leave the posted area. Forgot to mention, Pickett (companion bill author) also testified FOR HB554.
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

Thanks
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gsansing
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gsansing »

Just read where CJ and his hooligans are going to push for the removal of the license requirement on HB910; correct me if I'm wrong but that's the whole reason why this bill has progressed versus HB195.

CJ if you're on here, I beg and implore you and your group not to foul this up for the rest of us. Better yet don't even be in Austin this day.
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”