General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by v7a »

Looks like the hearing notice was just updated and SB346 was replaced with newly filed SB17 (with identical bill text)?
SB 17 Estes
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties.

Bills added after last posting:
SB 17

Bills deleted after last posting:
SB 346

gsansing
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gsansing »

v7a wrote:Looks like the hearing notice was just updated and SB346 was replaced with newly filed SB17 (with identical bill text)?
SB 17 Estes
Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry a holstered handgun; creating a criminal offense; providing penalties.

SB 17

SB 346
I noticed this myself, what does this mean? I understand the hearing aspect, but why was it assigned a new bill number?
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gsansing wrote:
v7a wrote:Looks like the hearing notice was just updated and SB346 was replaced with newly filed SB17 (with identical bill text)?
SB 17 Estes

SB 17

SB 346
I noticed this myself, what does this mean? I understand the hearing aspect, but why was it assigned a new bill number?
SB346 was given one of the reserved low bill numbers; i.e. SB17.

Chas.

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Post by joe817 »

It would be really interesting to watch the committee meeting when they present SB17. I hope it's broadcast.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

joe817 wrote:It would be really interesting to watch the committee meeting when they present SB17. I hope it's broadcast.
Unless there is a system failure, it will be broadcast. I suggest unloading your handgun before watching; monitors are easy to replace, but you'll miss the rest of the hearing.

Chas.

TXBO
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TXBO »

SB17 could actually lead to less TPC30.06's. If the requirements for TPC30.07 are identical to TPC30.06, I don't envision many businesses wanting to post both.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
joe817 wrote:It would be really interesting to watch the committee meeting when they present SB17. I hope it's broadcast.
Unless there is a system failure, it will be broadcast. I suggest unloading your handgun before watching; monitors are easy to replace, but you'll miss the rest of the hearing.

Chas.
Indeed. If I took blood pressure medicine, I would definitely take a dose before watching. ;-)
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

I want to watch but not sure I can handle watching the sausage being made.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Why is there a consensus that this hearing will be infuriating to watch? Seems that 346/17 removes concealed from the CHL law and creates a 30.07 specifically for OC, which seems like a reasonable bill for licensed OC.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MeMelYup »

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Why is there a consensus that this hearing will be infuriating to watch? Seems that 346/17 removes concealed from the CHL law and creates a 30.07 specifically for OC, which seems like a reasonable bill for licensed OC.
There are those who will condemn it because it is not "constitutional carry." Then you have groups like MDA that will condemn it because they are scared when they see a gun without a badge. Call 911 and swat them.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
Because SB17 is fast tracked to wind its way through the legislative process. And because of that there has been a 'call to arms' by the militant OC groups to attend and testify against that bill.

Here's the related topic and the 'call to arms' of CATI.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=76172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a good bill and IIRC endorsed by both NRA & TSRA. :thumbs2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Any chance anyone will testify something like "this is a good bill and I support it, though me and others prefer unlicensed carry."?
I prefer Constitutional Carry but don't want OC killed altogether because of infighting.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

I say support all the pro gun legislation and take what we can get whether it be licensed or unlicensed. I would think only talk about the bill that is on the table for that particular hearing. That's just my opinion.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

It appears that there are 2 Bills that will come before the Committee on State Affairs on Thursday, 2/12/2015:

SB17 - Licensed Open Carry
SB11 - Campus Carry

Those are the only 2 Bills up for discussion before the Committee on Thursday from what I can tell.

It should be a VERY interesting meeting, and I urge all of you who can, watch the goings on in the Committee:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Reports/Re ... &Code=C570" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - The full listing of Senate Bills

The below is a schedule of Senate Committee Meetings for the remainder of the month:

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/events.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More great info is posted about watching committee meetings on the TFC homepage.

[edited to correct date. Duh. :oops: ]
Last edited by joe817 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

joe817 wrote:It appears that there are 2 Bills that will come before the Committee on State Affairs on Thursday, 2/10/2015:
Uh..... the 10th is today (Tuesday). Thursday is the 12th. I wish I had known about this earlier; I would have arranged to speak.
-Ruark

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”