General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by joe817 »

Ruark wrote:
joe817 wrote:It appears that there are 2 Bills that will come before the Committee on State Affairs on Thursday, 2/10/2015:
Uh..... the 10th is today (Tuesday). Thursday is the 12th. I wish I had known about this earlier; I would have arranged to speak.
Whoops! :oops: Thanks for catching that. :grumble It IS on Thursday. Sowwy!
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

v7a
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by v7a »

ANTI-CAMPUS CARRY EMAIL SENT TO ENTIRE UT AUSTIN FACULTY
An email message was sent to the entire faculty of the University of Texas at Austin on a university listserv Tuesday morning encouraging them to oppose a “campus carry” bill being considered by the Texas Senate.

A copy of the email, sent by Bill Beckner, a mathematics professor and the chair of the UT Faculty Council, was provided to Breitbart Texas from a current UT professor who wished to remain anonymous. “When you read it, the whole thing is offensive and disturbing for several reasons,” said the professor, who described himself as a conservative and a supporter of gun rights.

In the message, Beckner informs the faculty that SB 11 is set for a public hearing in the Texas Senate on Thursday, February 12, and includes all the information from the official notice.

Beckner urges his colleagues to attend the hearing, writing, “The views of faculty members are important and the Senate will benefit from hearing those views.”

However, it is not all views that the Faculty Council wants to see. Instead, the message is clear that they are hoping to encourage opposition to campus carry. “As I expect that you are aware,” writes Beckner, “both President Powers and Chancellor McRaven have expressed their opinion that this measure will not enhance safety for students, faculty and staff on our campus.”

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Capitol braces for hearing on 2 gun bills
The Texas Capitol is preparing for large and passionate crowds for Thursday’s first public hearing on two hotly debated gun bills.

Expect an expanded presence by Department of Public Safety troopers and crowd-control measures that will include holding the hearing in a relatively small meeting room in the Capitol Extension, with much of the crowd directed into overflow rooms showing live coverage of the testimony.

A similar model was followed during last session’s sometimes-raucous hearings on stricter abortion regulations.

Thursday’s hearing before the Senate State Affairs Committee on open-carry and campus-carry gun bills will begin at 9 a.m. in Room 1.016 of the Capitol Extension.

Those who wish to testify or register a position on the bills can fill out cards at a table near the meeting room at least 30 minutes before the hearing begins. The Capitol’s electronic signup monitors will not be used.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare69 »

If campus carry passes, what will this mean for students with CHLs who live in dorms on campus? I hope they will be able to store their firearm in their room vs only in their vehicle as it is now.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CJD »

To me it seems section 6 of SB11 means that campus carry would not be legal until September 1, 2016? If true, why not 2015?

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

CJD wrote:To me it seems section 6 of SB11 means that campus carry would not be legal until September 1, 2016? If true, why not 2015?
This was a typo and addressed yesterday. It has been amended to 9/1/15

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

nightmare69 wrote:If campus carry passes, what will this mean for students with CHLs who live in dorms on campus? I hope they will be able to store their firearm in their room vs only in their vehicle as it is now.
This issue was mentioned and agreed it must be addressed. I suspect they will require an lock box or individual safe when being stored. The specifics will probably be a rule or regulation established by each school or system within guidelines.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

gsansing
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gsansing »

With all this Open Carry and Campus carry talk....I hope that other vitally important pro gun bills are not being overshadowed. Specifically HB 413, 422, 695, 805 and SB 311 and 348.

Gari
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

gsansing wrote:With all this Open Carry and Campus carry talk....I hope that other vitally important pro gun bills are not being overshadowed. Specifically HB 413, 422, 695, 805 and SB 311 and 348.

Gari
Don't forget HB308, probably the most important legislation out there right now (IMO)
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

gsansing
Posts in topic: 7

Post by gsansing »

Yep, I skipped right over that one...
My wife says I'm a gun snob.... I'm okay with that.
Life is too short to own cheap guns...
NRA Member / TSRA Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

I hope they are being overshadowed and they get through the system to the governor's desk quietly and without much media attention. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

mojo84 wrote:I hope they are being overshadowed and they get through the system to the governor's desk quietly and without much media attention. ;-)
:iagree:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

v7a
Banned

Post by v7a »

Gov. Abbott today during the State of the State speech:

Does the fact that he keeps repeating this promise indicate that he's confident an Open Carry bill will end up on his desk? It seems that politically the safe thing to do would be to not keep mentioning it (in case such a bill never makes it to his desk).

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

v7a wrote:Gov. Abbott today during the State of the State speech:

[ Image ]

Does the fact that he keeps repeating this promise indicate that he's confident an Open Carry bill will end up on his desk? It seems that politically the safe thing to do would be to not keep mentioning it (in case such a bill never makes it to his desk).
He's sending a message to the Legislature, but I wouldn't take his comments to mean he thinks it's a done deal.

Chas.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I haven't seen any discussion on HB 1179 which would require Texas CLEOs to sign off on NFA paperwork. I'm about NFA'ed out (I've bought or built 9 suppressors and 3 SBRs in the last year and a half), but it would be nice to be able to continue to do so in the future once my gun budget recovers.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”