General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K5GU
Posts in topic: 4

Re: General 2015 Legislative Session Discussion

Post by K5GU »

gsansing wrote:Just read where CJ and his hooligans are going to push for the removal of the license requirement on HB910; correct me if I'm wrong but that's the whole reason why this bill has progressed versus HB195.

CJ if you're on here, I beg and implore you and your group not to foul this up for the rest of us. Better yet don't even be in Austin this day.
Stickland (HB195 author) made comments to the news a while back that when the licensed open carry bills came to the floor that he would begin a rash of amendments toward removing the license requirements from the bills.
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/polit ... 69930.html
Scroll down to the "Backup Plan" paragraph.
Life is good.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

According to this article, 6000 bills have been filed this session with 900 coming right before the deadline for the free filing period. No telling what's in there.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/13/ ... s-abortio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

joe817
Posts in topic: 8

Post by joe817 »

Good articles. He has aligned himself(publicly) with OCT & OCTC. With the media attention those 2 groups have had in the last 8 months, he may have well announced he will not be running for public office come election time, next go around, IMO.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

CJD

Post by CJD »

mojo84 wrote:According to this article, 6000 bills have been filed this session with 900 coming right before the deadline for the free filing period. No telling what's in there.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/03/13/ ... s-abortio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found these:

HB2999 -Relating to restrictive covenants regarding the possession, transportation, or storage of firearms or firearms ammunition and the otherwise lawful discharge of a firearm.

HB4061 -Relating to the regulation of firearms, air guns, ammunition, and firearm and air gun supplies; imposing a civil penalty

SB1006 -Relating to gun violence restraining orders and gun seizure warrants; creating a criminal offense.

SB1110 -Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns by certain license holders on certain locations associated with a public or private school or educational institution.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 16

Post by mojo84 »

Post from Alice Trip and TSRA. Only four weeks left but still time.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/One- ... Dp0N5Pm4KM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

CJD wrote:
mojo84 wrote:According to this article, 6000 bills have been filed this session with 900 coming right before the deadline for the free filing period. No telling what's in there.

Found these:

HB2999 -Relating to restrictive covenants regarding the possession, transportation, or storage of firearms or firearms ammunition and the otherwise lawful discharge of a firearm.

HB4061 -Relating to the regulation of firearms, air guns, ammunition, and firearm and air gun supplies; imposing a civil penalty

SB1006 -Relating to gun violence restraining orders and gun seizure warrants; creating a criminal offense.

SB1110 -Relating to the carrying of concealed handguns by certain license holders on certain locations associated with a public or private school or educational institution.
FYI. HB2999 is on the House Local,Consent Calendar for tomorrow, May 5th.

Update: It was sent back to Local and Consent, considered, then sent to Calendars today, May 6th.

I'm guessing this will be good for gun owners who's homes are restricted by a property owner association.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB2999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is good.

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

For the political dummies like me. Could someone summarize the status of CHL open carry as to where it stands.

I've seen posts like it's passed, passed both houses, past only one, but anti's in the Senate are holding it hostage, etc. etc.

If it hasn't passed, what are it's chances?

Thanks in advance.

Do any of the other gun bills like Campus Carry have a chance?

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

philip964 wrote:For the political dummies like me. Could someone summarize the status of CHL open carry as to where it stands.

I've seen posts like it's passed, passed both houses, past only one, but anti's in the Senate are holding it hostage, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Open carry is currently waiting for a concurrence vote in the house. It can happen as soon as 2:40 this afternoon. If the vote passes (simple majority, I believe), it goes to Gov. Abbott. If it doesn't pass, it can go to a conference committee, where it may or may not die.
NRA lifetime member

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

philip964 wrote:For the political dummies like me. Could someone summarize the status of CHL open carry as to where it stands.

Thanks in advance.

As to Campus Carry, it is definitely still in the thick of things. Waiting for debate and vote on the House floor which has been projected by several people to happen today. There is supposedly a deal with the Senate that after they passed open carry, the House would pass Campus Carry. We shall see hopefully today though.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So we will know something this week?

I have heard the Governor will sign if passed.

So the Senate has passed it, the House is the one who has slowed it up?

This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

philip964 wrote:So we will know something this week?

I have heard the Governor will sign if passed.

So the Senate has passed it, the House is the one who has slowed it up?

This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:
It's going to be close.. so far, no OC.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

philip964 wrote: This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:
How is this a new direction when 40 some odd other states already allow some fashion of open carry with a handgun?

harrycallahan
Banned

Post by harrycallahan »

cyphertext wrote:
philip964 wrote: This really will be historic. At a time when our freedoms are being constricted every where you turn, Texas is going the other direction and showing the whole nation a new direction. :txflag:
How is this a new direction when 40 some odd other states already allow some fashion of open carry with a handgun?
Because my friend, what we almost had and should have had, would have been the diamond standard of Open Carry. Texas already has that in the Concealed Handgun program. Yes, we all want a bit more, some may come across the wrong way, but in the end I know of no better group of people than those of the Texas CHL program. The many that came before us all, put together a model program. Add to that, had OC passed with as few conditions as it had, well, there wouldn't be another state that could have touched it. Yes it would have been licensed open carry, but before you say anything about that, go take a look at those so called constitutional states and read their laws and after that read HB 910 and make your own conclusions.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

harrycallahan wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Because my friend, what we almost had and should have had, would have been the diamond standard of Open Carry. Texas already has that in the Concealed Handgun program. Yes, we all want a bit more, some may come across the wrong way, but in the end I know of no better group of people than those of the Texas CHL program. The many that came before us all, put together a model program. Add to that, had OC passed with as few conditions as it had, well, there wouldn't be another state that could have touched it. Yes it would have been licensed open carry, but before you say anything about that, go take a look at those so called constitutional states and read their laws and after that read HB 910 and make your own conclusions.
You have 14 states that have licensed OC... Ours is very similar to our neighbors to the north... there is nothing new here. I also lived in a constitutional open carry state. There are a few restrictions, but it is also unlicensed, so a bit of a trade off... Their concealed carry license however removes many of those restrictions.

CJD

Post by CJD »

cyphertext wrote:
harrycallahan wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
You have 14 states that have licensed OC... Ours is very similar to our neighbors to the north... there is nothing new here. I also lived in a constitutional open carry state. There are a few restrictions, but it is also unlicensed, so a bit of a trade off... Their concealed carry license however removes many of those restrictions.
One big difference in Texas would have been that Houston and Dallas would be the largest cities in the country to allow open carry.

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”