Record vote for House Speaker?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Record vote for House Speaker?

Post by RoyGBiv »

mojo84 wrote:The 19 need some encouragement and a pat on the back for standing on principle.
Anyone know how to bulk-email them without going through the web portal 19 times?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:We now have a record vote. Those who put Straus back in power will either prevail upon him to act like a Republican or suffer the consequences in 2016. This may be the best chance of forcing pro-gun bills to a vote in committee and on the House floor.

Chas.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G26ster »

Keith B wrote:While I am not a Strauss fan, I am really hate the blanket 'throw the bum out and get anyone different' philosophy.

As Charles stated earlier we don't know for sure how Turner would be on gun legislation. At least with Strauss we have history and know how to work through legislation with him. Sometimes knowing your enemy and being able to out maneuver them is better then dealing with one that may take you by surprise.

In the case of politicians, it's more like out 'manure' them. :lol:
In the link provided by Mojo84 it looks like Turner is pretty pro 2A to me:

May 7, 2013 HB 928 Prohibits State Funds from Being Used for the Enforcement of Federal Firearm Regulations
Bill Passed - House (101 - 31) Yea
May 6, 2013 HB 1009 Establishes "School Marshal" as a New Category of Law Enforcement for Schools
Bill Passed - House (123 - 22) Yea
May 6, 2013 HB 1076 Prohibits the Enforcement of Federal Firearm Regulations
Bill Passed - House (100 - 47) Yea
May 6, 2013 HB 972 Authorizes Concealed Handguns on Higher Education Campuses
Bill Passed - House (102 - 41) Yea
May 6, 2013 SB 864 Reduces Required Hours for Concealed Handgun License Training
Bill Passed - House (116 - 30) Yea
Feb. 6, 2013 HB 1009 Establishes "School Marshal" as a New Category of Law Enforcement for Schools
House Co-sponsor
Feb. 5, 2013 HB 972 Authorizes Concealed Handguns on Higher Education Campuses
House Co-sponsor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:As Charles stated earlier we don't know for sure how Turner would be on gun legislation.
Respectfully, yes we do know: https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... LVqwaOCOrV
While that voting record looks favorable, that is not total proof that he can't be swayed by an anti-gun constituancy. I stand by my statement.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mojo84
Posts in topic: 20

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:While I am not a Strauss fan, I am really hate the blanket 'throw the bum out and get anyone different' philosophy.

As Charles stated earlier we don't know for sure how Turner would be on gun legislation. At least with Strauss we have history and know how to work through legislation with him. Sometimes knowing your enemy and being able to out maneuver them is better then dealing with one that may take you by surprise.

In the case of politicians, it's more like out 'manure' them. :lol:

I posted a link to Turner's voting record on gun issues. I don't think anyone is advocating "anyone but Straus". I was advocating Turner instead of Straus. We have to make decisions based on the information we have. I haven't seen any information indicating Turner would not be a good speaker or would not be good for pro gun issues. Has anyone else here seen anything to the contrary?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:As Charles stated earlier we don't know for sure how Turner would be on gun legislation.
Respectfully, yes we do know: https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... LVqwaOCOrV
While that voting record looks favorable, that is not total proof that he can't be swayed by an anti-gun constituancy. I stand by my statement.

Do you have information supporting that he is subject to being swayed by antigunners? I have information Straus has appointed progressive dems that buried pro gun legislation in committee.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Do you have information supporting that he is subject to being swayed by antigunners? I have information Straus has appointed progressive dems that buried pro gun legislation in committee.
I didn't say he was anti gun or could be swayed. I just stated there are a lot of unknowns that can bite you with new people when you place them in a different role. Like I said, I am not a fan of Strauss, but putting Turner in probably would not have been a panacea for the heartburn like many would like to think.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 13

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Isn't that kind of like saying, "since you have not disproven the negative, I stand by my decision to ignore the positive proof?"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 11

Post by baseballguy2001 »

It's time we faced a few facts.

1.) The go along to get along crowd is larger than those of us who wanted to try someone different (for Texas Speaker) this time.

2.) Big legislative gains take vision, and courage. Most politicians don't have any. (Lobbyists don't either)

3.) Most Texas voters are not CHL holders.

Conclusion:

We do this dance every two years and expect a different outcome. We need to temper our expectations and enjoy the two Dove and baseball seasons before the next election.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I didn't say he was anti gun or could be swayed. I just stated there are a lot of unknowns that can bite you with new people when you place them in a different role. Like I said, I am not a fan of Strauss, but putting Turner in probably would not have been a panacea for the heartburn like many would like to think.

There is no such thing as a panacea when it comes to politics. I think we all realize that based on what has been going on lately. We do have three terms of Straus as speaker on which to know how he operates. I think it's worth taking a calculated risk at times.

baseballguy2001

I prefer to think we are determined. :banghead:

But, maybe a little crazy.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

baseballguy2001 wrote:It's time we faced a few facts.

1.) The go along to get along crowd is larger than those of us who wanted to try someone different (for Texas Speaker) this time.

2.) Big legislative gains take vision, and courage. Most politicians don't have any. (Lobbyists don't either)

3.) Most Texas voters are not CHL holders.

Conclusion:

We do this dance every two years and expect a different outcome. We need to temper our expectations and enjoy the two Dove and baseball seasons before the next election.
We haven't had a recorded vote for speaker every two years. Therefore, this is not the same.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Isn't that kind of like saying, "since you have not disproven the negative, I stand by my decision to ignore the positive proof?"
You can't really tell for sure how Straus would have voted becuase as Speaker he did not vote on many of the issues. The one Guns issue he did vote on was a Yea http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vote ... us/37/guns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll admit Turner looks favorable, but you never know.
Keith

baseballguy2001

Hey Mojo --

At the risk of sounding like an infamous ex-Senator -- What difference does it make?

Do you really think the vast majorioty of voters are going to take the time to look up who their rep voted for Speaker of the Texas House? Like I said earlier, we care, but we are a very small group.

This recorded vote is inside baseball stuff. Your average Texas voter doesn't give a flip.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”